Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

I learned from the best

Bowhunter60

My grandfather, seen in this picture cleaning out a nice Sierra Nevada buck, and with a nice Black Bear he shot. My grandfather was the one who taught me everything I need to know about hunting.

From about age 6, I followed him annually through the mountains. It was a time of year I looked forward to all year. He was full blooded Cherokee and had a respect for the outdoors unlike most I've encountered since he passed away. :hump:

Grandpa taught me a healthy respect for the outdoors, that it's not the kill that makes the time outdoors so incredible. It's just being out there, enjoying the quiet, the mountain air, the laughs around camp, and the stories he'd tell of past hunting trips.

My desire has always been to reflect his attitude and values in the outdoors, and, by the grace of God, harvest some meat for the family.

Attachments

• Granpa's Deer.jpg
    Granpa's Deer.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 827
  • Grandpa Young with a Bear.jpg
    Grandpa Young with a Bear.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 825
Everyone tells me your nothing like your parents all your grandfather. But that makes me proud because people like him are a dieing breed thanks for the post brings back good times of when he was still around you made my day

Great post and pictures, Bowhunter. Thanks for sharing. My grandpa introduced me to hunting, fishing, and the outdoors.

Great pics!! I never knew either of my grandfathers, and didn't come from a hunting family, so my learning curve has been pretty steep. But, I love it.

Passing it on, that's what it's all about. Very neat pics.

The Memories Never Fade

How can we not remember, with lifelong memories, the one who mentored us in the outdoors.

Attachments

• Grandfathers.jpg
    Grandfathers.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 568
he new how to skin a deer , he left that thin red meat on the deer not on the skin, thats hard to teach,,

in the near? future whose gonna pass down a lot of the old time knowhow, hardships ect,,,,

I'm right there with you, My Grandpa on my Mom's side got both my Dad and I into hunting.

I started tagging along when I was 5. Then when Grandpa got into his 90's it was my turn to start taking him hunting and did until he was no longer capable. Then I'd make the extra 40 mile drive to stop by his house and show him my kills after a good hunt. He always seemed to enjoy it. I took a couple of my whitetail mounts down to his house so he could at least get to relive some of our kills together the last few years.

Grandpa wasn't always by the book but he taught me a lot about everything. I learned to shoot, hunt, fish, wood work, plumbing, electrical, how to build engines, gun smithing, welding, poker, blackjack,drink beer etc. Anything that needed fixing, Grandpa could fix.

Grandpa was as tough as they come, Never complained about anything and just got done what needed to be done. I remember one time bank fishing on a river grandpa says "I tried to swim across right here once and next thing i knew my head was hitting the rocks on the bottom" I replied "why did you want to swim across" Grandpa says "cause there was someone on the other side I wanted to beat the shit out of" Cracked me up!:D

Grandpa didnt have a lot to say usually but I remember one thing he told me right after I had gotten home from basic training and was awaiting deployment. He said "remember, there's always someone who has it worse than you" and that was it for advice. With him being a Marine during WWII (island hopper) I took what he had to say to heart. That has always stuck with me even to this day. It really did make some of those real shitty days a lot easier.

Most of my best memories are from spending time with Grandpa doing something or another.

RIP Grandpa

great topic 360!

Last edited:
And to think he did most of that with his little folding Case knife. He carried that Case knife with him everywhere! He wasn't one for a lot of fancy tools and gadgets. He liked the simplicity of using the basics.

he new how to skin a deer , he left that thin red meat on the deer not on the skin, thats hard to teach,,

in the near? future whose gonna pass down a lot of the old time knowhow, hardships ect,,,,

Nothing better

It seems you and I have many of the same memories. I know I'll never forget them. And I remember him every time I'm out hunting.

I'm right there with you, My Grandpa on my Mom's side got both my Dad and I into hunting.

I started tagging along when I was 5. Then when Grandpa got into his 90's it was my turn to start taking him hunting and did until he was no longer capable. Then I'd make the extra 40 mile drive to stop by his house and show him my kills after a good hunt. He always seemed to enjoy it. I took a couple of my whitetail mounts down to his house so he could at least get to relive some of our kills together the last few years.

Grandpa wasn't always by the book but he taught me a lot about everything. I learned to shoot, hunt, fish, wood work, plumbing, electrical, how to build engines, gun smithing, welding, poker, blackjack,drink beer etc. Anything that needed fixing, Grandpa could fix.

Grandpa was as tough as they come, Never complained about anything and just got done what needed to be done. I remember one time bank fishing on a river grandpa says "I tried to swim across right here once and next thing i knew my head was hitting the rocks on the bottom" I replied "why did you want to swim across" Grandpa says "cause there was someone on the other side I wanted to beat the shit out of" Cracked me up!:D

Grandpa didnt have a lot to say usually but I remember one thing he told me right after I had gotten home from basic training and was awaiting deployment. He said "remember, there's always someone who has it worse than you" and that was it for advice. With him being a Marine during WWII (island hopper) I took what he had to say to heart. That has always stuck with me even to this day. It really did make some of those real shitty days a lot easier.

Most of my best memories are from spending time with Grandpa doing something or another.

RIP Grandpa

great topic 360!

Thanks for sharing. I never got to hunt with my grandfather. He died when I was 5. My other grandfather is still living and although he doesn't hunt, I love listing to his stories about the old days.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back