Brown Bears

Generally, yes. But I've seen reports of some bears being spotted in December on the lower AK Peninsula. Early to mid-November would be a safer bet. The Lake Clark area has some of the latest spawning sockeye populations in Bristol Bay which keeps bears out later in that area than adjacent basins. We had collared boars stay out into early December but most bears where denned up by then. Even the late late spawning salmon are generally dead by December. Based on what I've seen, if you do find a brown bear out in December he's going to be a big one. Cold Bay in December, the weather potential alone makes me shudder :)

Not sure where this is leading... but I wouldn't be surprised to see some closures or reduced hunting opportunities in the near future on the peninsula. Bear populations are way down. These warm winters, following a long drawn out winter has really hurt the populations according to a bunch of folks I've talked to. Many areas are nearly void of bears, where as just 3-4 years ago dozens were seen. Not sure how much longer ADFG will stand by. One guide I spoke with said that in the area he hunts, he used to see a couple hundred bears while flying in the spring, and as of last year he saw a couple dozen.

Not looking to hunt Brownies, I'm a non-res and can't afford that. I'm planning a waterfowl hunt and was wondering if I needed to be watching out for bears in early December.

Can't really give you an exact answer on this one as weather and snowfall plays a huge role.

Not looking to hunt Brownies, I'm a non-res and can't afford that. I'm planning a waterfowl hunt and was wondering if I needed to be watching out for bears in early December.

Carrying a few slugs (in a separate pocket) would be cheap insurance.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back