Video production question

Hornsgalore

All,
I am wanting some input to what the best or the type of camera is best for making your own hunt videos and the software to use for editing. I am wanting to start videoing different hints for friends but don't have any direction of where or what is best.... Thanks in advance for any info.

Depends on the final intended distribution. Best editing software for the money is probably Adobe Elements. Best camera is hard to pin down without knowing what your conditions are, which will determine the features that are highest priority.

Depends on the final intended distribution. Best editing software for the money is probably Adobe Elements. Best camera is hard to pin down without knowing what your conditions are, which will determine the features that are highest priority.

Through me some make and models of some cameras if you know of any.... Not looking to spend a billion dollars! Looking to get started! Starter kit level

I listened to a podcast about filming your own hunts. For the life of me I can't remember which one but when I find it I post a link. I remember they had different suggestions for lenses, microphones, tripods, etc. One thing stuck is that they wanted something like 20-30 optical zoom but I couldn't remember if that was on the video or for a still picture.

I listened to a podcast about filming your own hunts. For the life of me I can't remember which one but when I find it I post a link. I remember they had different suggestions for lenses, microphones, tripods, etc. One thing stuck is that they wanted something like 20-30 optical zoom but I couldn't remember if that was on the video or for a still picture.

Grant, I listened to the same one. The camcorder they were talking about was the Canon Vixia. Not sure the exact model, but it was just under $500 if I remember correctly.

As for the zoom it was for both. I usually just turn the digital zoom off. You can take some good video with a point and shoot too. It won't do everything, but can do some complimentary stuff well, since most people are already carrying them.

All,
I am wanting some input to what the best or the type of camera is best for making your own hunt videos and the software to use for editing. I am wanting to start videoing different hints for friends but don't have any direction of where or what is best.... Thanks in advance for any info.

A few pieces of advice:

1) Make sure you get/use a tripod for the camera. It is a pain to carry in the field, but it will make life much much better for the long shots. If you already have one for a spotting scope, feel free to use that when you are first starting.

2) Have a plan for the shots you want before you go to the field. Just recording camp setup/some glassing shots/kill shot will get you the basics of a story, but you might want more than that.

3) Practice A LOT with whatever video editor you go with. Make something fun, like a how-to video or just a home video reel to help build your experience.

4) Practice with your camera before you get in the field. Just like having a gun, you don't want to be figuring things out as the trip unfolds.

5) I've kind of lost track of what video editors are out there, but one that seems to get reasonably good reviews (and is FREE) is Lightworks link here.

Good luck!

I thought this might have turned into a bigger thread. I know a lot of people...more professional use Final Cut Pro, but for those out there that use Windows...and say don't want to be so labor intensive as to learn Adobe Premier. I wonder what the best option is...I'm not saying it has to be free, but it does have to have the capability to be user friendly, video and audio. Any suggestions?

A few pieces of advice:

1) Make sure you get/use a tripod for the camera. It is a pain to carry in the field, but it will make life much much better for the long shots. If you already have one for a spotting scope, feel free to use that when you are first starting. here[/URL].
The tripod is great advice, no matter how steady you think you are without one, the shakes and abrupt moves you're going to have without a tripod make the video hard to watch. A good pan head on the tripod is worth the investment.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back