Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Privatizing State Lands, A current example

quarterhorse

Since Cruz duped Idaho with his "wresting federal lands into the state" campaign adds here is an on going example of some choice lands being privatized. It started decades ago with the state owning lands on the shorelines of Priest and Payette Lakes. It was decided for whatever reason to lease these properties for recreational cabins. Maybe thought to be harmless at the time. I don't know how or why it happened. For the last few years the state lands under these beautiful little cabins has been getting auctioned off to the highest bidder. I think it goes mostly un noticed because to the casual observer it already looks like private land. With the federal transfer could this be coming to your favorite lake, river or recreation spot? Quite possibly.

quarterhorse,

I'm not completely informed on how this works but it is going on in MT in some places as well. I'm pretty sure this is state owned property, not federal turned to the states to private. Not sure if that makes sense but I know it's been practiced for several decades.

The way I understand it works here is that the lease holders are given first opportunity at appraised value. They can also keep leasing if they choose not to buy. It's only leases that are not renewed or where cabins and properties are abandoned that get sold to whoever bids for them.
With the areas I'm familiar with it's not a limiting factor in public access to our land.

I've no doubt that if federal property is turned to the state, prime sites for recreation and real estate will be the first to go when it comes time to sell.

I think that is the point. The state has already proven it will sell prime land to the highest bidder to raise funds. This could very well be what happens if the federal land is given to the state. If it is sold to the highest bidder we no longer have access to it.

Here in IN we added 100+ac to the Patoka River NWR last week...

The Healthy Rivers INitiative is trying to added 69,000ac to the state lands total...
Some has been and is open to the public.

Yes that was my point with this on-going example. It probably seemed somewhat harmless when the state started leasing those lands for cabin sites. Although even leasing the site precluded the common Joe from camping in that spot because of the cabin being there. Now a few decades later the once state owned land is going private. Cruz didn't bother to mention that possibility in his campaign add. The voters got duped because we did not connect the dots: Federal land goes to the state and then the state land goes private. Joe citizen just lost his access.

Yes that was my point with this on-going example. It probably seemed somewhat harmless when the state started leasing those lands for cabin sites. Although even leasing the site precluded the common Joe from camping in that spot because of the cabin being there. Now a few decades later the once state owned land is going private. Cruz didn't bother to mention that possibility in his campaign add. The voters got duped because we did not connect the dots: Federal land goes to the state and then the state land goes private. Joe citizen just lost his access.

Exactly. These candidates that are promoting public lands be transferred to the states are banking on us, the general public, not being informed enough to understand that state lands often get sold. Specifically in Idaho, the state constitution MANDATES that state lands must be managed for the highest profit. Which of course means the state has very few choices: sell it outright, lease it to mining/timber harvest/cabins/oil & gas. I am not saying the state shouldn't lease some of its lands to generate revenue and jobs. It obviously should, especially in the case of responsible/renewable timber harvest. But if the states get control of all the public (federal) land within their borders, watch out, it is going to be a land-grab of epic proportions. The deepest pockets in America (and likely outside of America) will start buying up some amazing spots that are currently open to all Americans.

Deep pockets outside America have already started buying land.

http://m.chron.com/homes/real_estat...s-real-estate-market-buyers-china-6665468.php

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/15/saudi-arabia-buying-up-farmland-in-us-southwest.html

The same thing is happening in Canada and Australia. Maybe someone better versed in foreign affairs can help out, but aren't many Chinese corporations actually government run? Scary thought of what would happen if millions of acres of federal land were auctioned off. I fail to see how this would be better than having our public lands managed for American citizens by our own government.

HB 586 takes away the Federal Government from adding more Federal lands to the state. That is if I read it right.

Did not read all of HB 582 but it appeared very much a land grab bill.

Got an action alert from TU in my email last night regarding those two bills plus SB 1338.

from the alert:
This week, the Idaho Senate passed S1338 a bill that, if enacted, will bring disarray to land management across our state. This bill will allow a county sheriff or a single county commissioner to declare federal lands to be a "catastrophic public nuisance" and demand abatement from federal land managers. Here's why we think this legislation is problematic:

The guidelines or basis for making such a declaration are sketchy at best - the bill includes some suggestions of nuisance conditions, but ultimately provides that a sheriff or county executive can consider "any other factor" that they consider relevant to concluding that the lands are "neglected" or "mismanaged" in a way that threatens public welfare.

This bill was originally introduced by outside wealthy interests with strong ties to the public lands takeover movement. So far these interests have attempted to pass similar versions of this bill in other Western states, and are now looking to force the same on Idaho.

This bill undermines the collaboration and science-based management necessary to be good land stewards by placing the fate of public lands at the whim of an individual's opinion. The fact is, challenges are already being addressed the right way with coordination, investment and collaboration among diverse interests. From logging to ranching to recreating, Idahoans are coming together across the state to advance ground-up recommendations to resolve problems associated with land management. At least ten efforts are underway across the state that promote solutions for federal land managers, find common ground, create jobs and restore watersheds and habitat.

Hopefully they are not running uncontested in their districts and their constituents are smart enough to vote them out.

Not likely. Hell, all the east Idaho counties voted for Ted Cruz after he announced he'd shut down the DOE which would in turn close down the INL. If we wont even vote to keep our jobs why would we vote to keep our land?

Not likely. Hell, all the east Idaho counties voted for Ted Cruz after he announced he'd shut down the DOE which would in turn close down the INL. If we wont even vote to keep our jobs why would we vote to keep our land?

Good point but I hope some of them will wake up someday.

Mitt Romney had serious pull in the way eastern Idaho voted.

November will be here before we know it, who do we vote out? Who is hoping to sell our land out from under us?

Seems in our best interest to start spreading the word now, we need to send these guys pushing for a land transfer a message come November!

November will be here before we know it, who do we vote out? Who is hoping to sell our land out from under us?

Seems in our best interest to start spreading the word now, we need to send these guys pushing for a land transfer a message come November!

Labrador, Moyle, and Stiddaway would be a good start. All have sponsored bills that support land transfer and/or privatization of wildlife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back