Bison Meat Hunt

Jamen

I just wanted to see if anyone has done a bison meat hunt before and if they had a good experience. I understand that most are a "fenced" hunt and since the sole purpose would be for the meat I would be fine with that within reason. I don't want to show up and shoot one in a corral. I would not be looking for a trophy just a good price to meat ratio. I have talked with a few people who have been disappointed once they show up they are left with some skinny cows and do not get ones money worth. Would be a good way to fill the freezer in an off year of other big game hunting.

Thanks Jamen

I'm guessing that the best time for a meat hunt would be before winter hits. I can't imagine ranched buffalo are going to be fed to fat status this time of year. Only a guess though, I don't have any experience.

Did that twice on the Flying D when Turner was still doing them. Took a yearling cow both times and it was some of the best meat ever. 250lbs. of meat from a 500lb. animal, roughly, in the fall.

Though it'll take a few years, putting in for the cow or non-trophy bull tags at Custer State Park worked for me as a "meat hunt". I wouldn't consider it a non-fenced hunt, but bison taken from there are recognized by B&C if that matters. Might be a touch more than a ranch hunt, but I liked where the money went.

As far as time of year, mine was last month. The cow I shot was in great condition with lots of fat. Then again, it's been a relatively mild winter. The one downside to the hunt I did was animal age. The cows I had to select from were 10+ years or older, which I've been told means they are more suited to burger than steaks/roasts. I did have a few steaks made, but the majority was ground. Every processor I talked to and the Park's bison manager suggested 5yrs and younger if you want steaks.

How many years did it take you to get a tag? Yeah I would rather see my money go to something like that than to a rancher who raises them.

I had 4 points, so drew on my 5th year. However, last year was the first year, IIRC, that I put in. I had just bought points previously.

I like 1_pointer's route...We vacationed at Custer State Park whe I was a kid and visit it frequently as an adult. Bison burger is still pretty good though

Maybe consider a hunt on one of the reservations. Generally they aren't much more than pasture walks and often they drive you right up to the herd and have you shoot select animals. A guy down the hall did this and they shot a cow, gutted, and loaded it into the truck for him to take to a butcher.
I think Fort Belknap Reservation has a large pasture where they drop you off and you have to find the animals and come get you when you shoot.

Thanks for all the input guys. Think I will start buying points for Custer give me an excuse to go back down to the black hills also!

FWIW, I thawed out a package of bison burger and made patties with it. I wanted to keep my first try simple, so I just pan fried burgers with a bit of salt and pepper. The meat did make some grease, but a far cry from store bought beef and not quite as lean as venison. The flavor was pretty mild with no real "gamey" taste. They were a big hit among the family! SCORE!

I second the reservation hunts. I drew a bull tag for Lower Brule near Ft. Thompson SD a few years ago and bowhunted. The older bulls were pretty wild but the larger herds of youngsters, cows and claves were quite conditioned to the game managers vehicle. They have about 80K acres there with a few different fenced areas with herds. Beautiful country and was lots of fun to bowhunt in the Missouri River breaks.

I have done a couple rez hunts here in Utah. Kinda like a antelope hunt but just a bit harder.....very fun hunt with a bunch of meat in the freezer.

My son loves bison meat. About the only red meat he will eat. But I agree it sure is tasty

Diamond Tail Ranch in N Colorado has great terrain for hunting but don't know how much.

Back