Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To give some preservative. I an 6 2 and 245 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
    Wow! That is amazing. Can't imagine how giddy you must've been to find the match.

Pretty strong-headed to stick with it for that long, especially with being a year old.
    About a month ago I gave in and asked everyone that I knew that could have found the left. None had. I figured it must be in the thick juniper as I had been every were else. Then I busted my collar bone and wasn't able to look until a few days ago.

Magnificent finds! Way to keep at it!
    "The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world" Del Gue

It has been over two years since I found these antlers. Some have asked if I know what has happened to this bull.
    Here is the story form the start. As I stated before I first saw this bull in the summer after he shed the antlers I found. His antlers were fully grown but the right G4 looked to be injured and was much shorter. He then disappeared until the week between archery and rifle season. I was able to take this picture through a spotting scope. This picture made the rounds on the net and twice I had people show it to me with the claim that their friend had taken the picture and had come close to getting the bull. I thought it was quite amusing.
    The picture was taken only a few hundred yards from where I found the antlers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by antlerradar; 05-12-2018 at 09:05 AM.

The day after the rifle opener the bull again vanished and I was unable to find him until Jan. even though I spent quite a bit of time looking. In Jan I was back up up in the place that I saw him in Oct and there he was with another big bull. I had gotten a better camera for Christmas and these are a few of the pictures I took that morning. I was again only a few hundred yards from where I found the antlers a month later. As you can see in the pictures he is not in the best of shape and even with the easy winter that year I was worried that he would not make it to spring. I spent a lot of time looking for his antlers that spring and never found them.

When summer arrived I wondered if I would see him again and in Aug I saw what looked to be him in a hay field but there wasn't enough light to be sure. A few days later I got a better look and I was certain that the bull in the dark was him but he had regressed a good 40 inches. He still had the big bladed 4ths and the 5ths that flared in.
    In Sept I was driving in a poring rain and I had a small bull run across the road in front of me. I stopped and soon a group of cows and a big bull fallowed and right behind them was this bull. They were on private but were headed in the direction of a small amount of public I could get to. I had to try even if it was raining. That afternoon a friend and I went after him. We had no problem locating the heard, they were bulging like crazy. The problem was they were across a big canyon and a good 3/4 of a mile off the the small amount of public land. We had nothing to do but sit under a tree and hope that the elk would move in our direction. With about an hour of light left a small 5 point showed below us and I had hope that things were going our way. Fifteen minutes later a bull bugled from from up the draw and it was clearly not the five point. We shifted our position and there was this bull 400 yard below us raking a tree. He had been beat off the cows by the other big bull and he was not happy about it. We looked at each other and both said he might call. We got set up and my friend let out a cow call. It was like we hooked him with a line. At about 75 yards he dropped out of sight under the crest of a hill and the next time I would see him he would be 30 yards to may left. That is when things went bad. I could not see him but the five point was also coming and was now 50 yards down wind. The five point started barking and the next time I saw the big bull he was sneaking out the bottom.

A few weeks later I spotted him all by himself well of of any public. He was in tough shape. Another fight had broken off one of his 4ths and he was limping badly. I was able to get this picture from a long ways off. I never saw him again. I am sure he found a hole some were and that is where he died.

I haven't found him or his antlers but I haven't given up hope that I will find them in some Juniper hole but in all likely hood they are where I can not get.
    Last edited by antlerradar; 05-12-2018 at 07:01 PM.

I love the history you have many of your sheds.

Thanks for the additional info and photos. I hope you do find him or the sheds, good luck.
    Being defeated is a temporary condition, giving up is what makes it permanent.

Awesome story, thanks for the update!

Awesome follow up.

Man thanks for the story hopefully some day you will run across his remains. He was an awesome animal.

Wow, you've really had a chance to get to know that creature, very cool.

Awesome, nice bull!
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

That is incredible! I sure hope that you stumble across either his sheds or his dead head someday.

Beautiful creature!
    “LET ME TELL YOU WHY PEOPLE LIVE IN IDAHO…THEY LIVE IN IDAHO BECAUSE THEY LOVE THEIR PUBLIC LANDS. THEY LIKE ACCESS TO THEM FOR RECREATION, FOR HUNTING AND FISHING, OR ALL THE ACTIVITIES THEY DO ON PUBLIC LANDS.”
    -U.S. Representative Mike Simpson

my god I'm surprised you can sleep thinking about him
    Colorado's Sexiest Elk Hunter 2009-2017
    Squirrel's and SteveE 's super secret man crush
    SSSMC-2016-2017
    fwagner's personal hunting mentor-2018

Thanks for "the rest of the story"!

Username checks out....

Thanks for the follow up. You said that the day after the rifle opener the bull vanished until you found him again in January. Obviously you don't know, but if you could theorize, where do you think he went? As in the type of country. I'd just be interested to hear your thought on the tactics a bull like that would use to survive year in and out. I hope you find him again dead or alive.

Quote Originally Posted by antlerradar View Post
    I was able to take this picture through a spotting scope. This picture made the rounds on the net and twice I had people show it to me with the claim that their friend had taken the picture and had come close to getting the bull. I thought it was quite amusing.

That's funny. This is an actual modern day phenomenon in hunting. In the same way hunters like to share pictures of their success, it feels good to share a picture of something that has nothing to do with you outside of the fact that it excites you.

Thanks for sharing all that.
    “It is well to go all out sometimes.” - Elers Koch

Nameless. It is likely that he spent most of his time on property that few get to hunt. Even when he came to with in 70 yards he was never off of the private as I was only 20 yards from the line. The place were I found the sheds and took most of the pictures is very rough and full of juniper. There was a guy with a rifle tag there opening day and he never saw him. I declined to tell him that he was likely with in several hundred yards of the bull of a life time. The hunter likely pushed him to a safer place. There is also little to no water there so unless there is snow or the near by rancher is running his pipeline water is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Range View Post
    That's funny. This is an actual modern day phenomenon in hunting. In the same way hunters like to share pictures of their success, it feels good to share a picture of something that has nothing to do with you outside of the fact that it excites you.

Thanks for sharing all that.
    One of the guys was a member on Hunt Talk that sent me the picture private message shortly after I put up the picture of the sheds. He was wondering if the shed I found could be from the bull in the picture his friend took .

The other was a coyote hunter I was talking to on some state land near our property. Some how the conversation turned to big elk and he had to show me the picture of the big bull his friend was after on his phone. It was the spotting scope picture. I got my camera and showed him the pictures on my card of the bull to show that I had taken the spotting scope picture. It was quite funny.
    Last edited by antlerradar; 05-14-2018 at 07:47 AM.

I'll be the first to volunteer to help build a water tank and collection system for him.
    “LET ME TELL YOU WHY PEOPLE LIVE IN IDAHO…THEY LIVE IN IDAHO BECAUSE THEY LOVE THEIR PUBLIC LANDS. THEY LIKE ACCESS TO THEM FOR RECREATION, FOR HUNTING AND FISHING, OR ALL THE ACTIVITIES THEY DO ON PUBLIC LANDS.”
    -U.S. Representative Mike Simpson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123