Havalon For Squirrel?

emrah1028

Ok, don't laugh, but does anyone use a Havalon or other razor sharp (small) blade for skinning squirrels? The super sharp, skinny Buck or Case jackknife works ok, but I need something scalpel sharp.

Making a circumferential incision and pulling the skin apart is beyond difficult. So are the 30 different redneck methods found on YouTube. The minnesota squirrels get real tough in the winter. The last one I shot had a layer of fat and thick skin that would put a Northern buck to shame!

Nope, skinning it like a big game animal is the only way. Havalon seems kind of big for the job, but unless there is something smaller, it'll have to do.

Emrah

You may be able to get smaller blades than those that come standard. I can tell you my havalon is in my pack whether I am plucking and gutting ducks or skinning bears.

I also have their filet knife in my spearfishing kit and love it as well. They aren't cheap, but a havalon and my Swiss Army knife handle everything I have needed to try...

I find the #22 blade great for using on squirrels. That said, I am usually able to pull most of it off after I skin down past the tail, step and pull. Just hope they don't come apart...

I'm now also a big fan of game shears for using on critters like squirrels and rabbits.

If they are that tough to skin, I can't imagine how long you need to boil them before you can eat them.

I had a buddy who used heavy fence wire, not high tensile, to wrap there legs and then would skin them like a big game animal. I think he had it tied to lag screws in a door frame of his shop. It worked pretty good on stuff like that. When the hides were greasy with fat he just used pliers to hold and yank down.

I use mine for squirrels all the time. I just cut them across the back and pull the hide off each end. The use a small pair of wire pliers to pop off the legs and tail, and the havalon for the head and guts. I can run through 5 squirrels in about 10 min.

I bought the Gerber Vital and Havalon Piranta Edge. Haven't had a chance to use them on anything yet. The Gerber has a better, safer, blade change system but it seems the blade holder encroaches on half the usable blade length. The Havalon feels sturdier with more usable blade, but is damn scary to change blades.

Emrah

I've yet to use my Havalon for a deer (accidently ordered it in my sleep mid-season last year LOL) but I've used it for a bunch of squirrels - I just use it for the cut at the base of the tail though. I use game shears to remove paws, head and to make the cut to gut the animal.

Stacey

Are you skinning when they're warm or cold? I make an incision around the midsection and pull off both ends like I'm taking off squirrel pants and a squirrel shirt. If they're warm, they skin out pretty easily. I have a havalon and I think it would work well. Many a taxidermist and trapper use them successfully.

I have a friend who was raised on a mink ranch. Their knife of choice was to use an Exacto Knife with a pointy triangle shaped blade. I bought and began using it on the mink I trap. It works great.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back