MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

HOWA questions here

I have a Howa youth(about 12.5 LOP) 6.5 Grendel mini-action and another .223 mini-action (not youth). Couldn't find the 223 in stock in youth. Will Howa sell just a youth stock? Would like to set both up same for kids.

Last edited:
Interesting. I can't find any youth mini-actions in the catalog, but I did find several online for sale. None in .204 Ruger though. PM in to Matt@LSI.

For the youth mini action stocks, these are in short supply. Please call us at 775 828 0555 and we'll take care of you.

Has anyone else had an issue getting a zero with a 7mm-08 Alpine Mountain rifle? I was starting to get a decent group, but when I bumped bullet weight up to 140 grain handloads, my bullet placement was all over the place, and very inconsistent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been shopping for a .300 win mag for sometime now and have narrowed my choice down to a Howa 1500 with the Hogue overmold I'm curious though if there is any plan to sell them with the full bed block version as I have heard they greatly improve the accuracy.

Has anyone else had an issue getting a zero with a 7mm-08 Alpine Mountain rifle? I was starting to get a decent group, but when I bumped bullet weight up to 140 grain handloads, my bullet placement was all over the place, and very inconsistent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have one. It is zeroed for 140 Nosler AccuBonds in factory Nosler Trophy Grade Ammo. It is probably the most consistent rifle I have, with my .308 being a very close second. In the coming weeks you will see it used to take an amazing shot by a Hunt Talker.

What was your load development process? Have you tried varying the COAL?

Not questioning your "skills", but when I got my first light rifle (sub 7lb custom) and before I started shooting my first ultrlight rifle (sub 6lb Mountain Ascent), I read and reread this article, and I know it helped me. It might help with some of the consistency issues.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-light-rifles/

Am I able to add a threaded muzzle break to my Howa 308 1500 Kryptek? if so what would you recommend. or do they make a bolt on muzzle break and how efficient are they.

Thanks Big Fin, MT, and Minnesota! I believe I was able to isolate the issue as my bore sighting technique. I verified the scope and rifle accuracy independently by putting the scope on a different rifle and a known accurate scope on the Howa. Handloads and factory ammo both shot fine.

MT- I did shorten the COAL slightly, which gave me some great results. I do a standard ladder load to find the most accurate base charge then start fine tuning with COAL and charge grain, but not at the same time.

Just wanted to update my search for a youth sized mini-action and extend a thank you to folks at LSI. After speaking with one of their technical sales folks, I elected to have my dealer order a barreled action in .222 Remington with a lightweight barrel. It was shipped very promptly and I picked it up tonight. I'm going to have my gunsmith bed it to a Boyds laminate stock with a shortened LOP, and I'll top it with something leupy. I should have this all wrapped up for his 9th birthday in November.

Big Fin and Matt LSI

I don't know if either of you can help or may have a spare standard box magazine for an Alpine Mountain Rifle. When I purchased mine, the extended magazine was installed, but the floorplate, box, spring and hinge for the internal magazine were missing. I contacted my gun dealer, and they could not find the missing components. I would be more than happy to purchase if either of you has one not in use.

Big Fin and Matt LSI

I don't know if either of you can help or may have a spare standard box magazine for an Alpine Mountain Rifle. When I purchased mine, the extended magazine was installed, but the floorplate, box, spring and hinge for the internal magazine were missing. I contacted my gun dealer, and they could not find the missing components. I would be more than happy to purchase if either of you has one not in use.

please give us a call and well get you set up.

775-828-0555

Question about the scopes that are included in the Hogue/Rifle package. What is the quality of the lesser of the scopes ? Is it a toss it in the drawer type ? Thanks, Jerry

Howa Break In???

The directions say to use an ammonia-based cleaner- even says that "super market ammonia" can be used.

I've been reading that ammonia can really rust out barrel steel- Anyone go through the "Howa Break In" process to recommend a safe cleaner to use?

I have Hoppe's 9, Elite Foaming Cleaner (never used this one yet), and Ballistol. I'm nervous to use supermarket ammonia- should I not be nervous?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Howa Break In???

The directions say to use an ammonia-based cleaner- even says that "super market ammonia" can be used.

I've been reading that ammonia can really rust out barrel steel- Anyone go through the "Howa Break In" process to recommend a safe cleaner to use?

I have Hoppe's 9, Elite Foaming Cleaner (never used this one yet), and Ballistol. I'm nervous to use supermarket ammonia- should I not be nervous?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Hoppes #9 works great and that is what i use.

Matt, I have been shooting 180g trophy bonded tips out of my .308 Howa Alpine Mt rifle. Accuracy is decent with that bullet, a lot better with 150g SSTs. I came across a good deal for bulk 165g trophy bonded tip ammo. In your experience do these 1-10" twist 20" barrels shoot the lighter bullets better than the heavier 180's? and how light should I go, maybe even 150g monolithic bullets since its shoots the 150g SSt so well? I know it would be best to shoot all and compare. just trying to make an educated guess since you've shot more than 1 Alpine in your day.

Matt, I have been shooting 180g trophy bonded tips out of my .308 Howa Alpine Mt rifle. Accuracy is decent with that bullet, a lot better with 150g SSTs. I came across a good deal for bulk 165g trophy bonded tip ammo. In your experience do these 1-10" twist 20" barrels shoot the lighter bullets better than the heavier 180's? and how light should I go, maybe even 150g monolithic bullets since its shoots the 150g SSt so well? I know it would be best to shoot all and compare. just trying to make an educated guess since you've shot more than 1 Alpine in your day.

I have gotten great accuracy results with bullets ranging from the 165gr to 178gr. As a rule of thumb accuracy will generally be better with lighter bullets. The howa twist rate will handle a very wide range. Happy shooting!

Matt,
I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 240 Weatherby, which is made by Howa I believe. When I broke it in initially with the recommended break-in procedure it shot great. Now it wants to string a group of 4 shots vertically descending about 4-5 inches. The action is tight in the stock and the scope is tight. Thought it was the bipod, but it also did it resting on the forend behind the sling stud. I have never had a rifle string shots like this before. I previously was shooting at 100yds and today was at 200yds, maybe it wasn't noticeable at 100yds. If it keeps it up it won't get to go to Wyoming on an antelope hunt. Any suggestions?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back