HOWA questions here

Hi all,

Does anyone know the exact weight of a howa alpine 308 with the steel floorplate? I understand the 5.7 lb stat only refers to the detachable mag model without the magazine inserted.

Thanks!

Matt is out of town defending the free world, but I just talked with another at Legacy sports and they are very helpful and prompt.

On this thread I noticed the links in posts #1 and #27 are no longer valid. The website is here.

I found the current spec catalog: legacysports.com/wp-content/catalog/catalog_2016/LegacySports_webcatalog.pdf (The link will open up or download a pdf file.) The hard specs start on page 26. The women-folk here and perhaps even some of guys will appreciate that Randy's handsome form is sprinkled throughout the catalog.

Thanks Rob. I checked with legacy but the best they could do was guess it would weigh slightly more with the floorplate. They were very prompt however. I was hoping someone with an alpine or Matt would have access to a scale for more exact info.

Iam very interested in getting a Howa in 6.5 creedmoor. But iam confused in the differance in the Gameking and Fieldking. what is the differance? and is there one you recommmend more.

Iam very interested in getting a Howa in 6.5 creedmoor. But iam confused in the differance in the Gameking and Fieldking. what is the differance? and is there one you recommmend more.

Im not familiar with the fieldking? are you maybe asking about the newer panamax? The Gameking has been around for quite some time and is a good package optic. I am a fan of the nikko stirling diamond scope. the glass quality and the new holdfast reticle is a great setup!

Well, I've got a 6.5 Creedmoor multicam coming, hopefully, soon, this is worse than waiting for Christmas as a kid...

congrats! let me know how it shoots! i love mine and shoot well under an MOA with hornady 140gr factory ammo.

Hi Matt - Glad you are back. I picked up a used 1500 Howa 30'06. It is a newer one with the HACT trigger. I was shooting factory 180 gr Barnes TSX and the accuracy was decent (~1.5MOA), but I felt like it should be better as my 243 was much tighter. Something didn't seem to agree with that load. What ammo works well with with gun?

definietly try some Hornady through it. I have shot a lot of 150gr american white tail as well as 165 gr hornady SP's through the .30-06 and ive had great results. Not all loads are created equal. With it being a used rifle, you may want a gunsmith check it out and make sure there are no issues with it as id recommend for any used gun purchase.

Last edited:
I have read on a few internet sites (for what it's worth) that the Hogue stocks on Howa 1500 models are very flexible on the front end of the stock and that this can cause the stock to touch the barrel, having a negative effect on accuracy. The one I handled at a gun store was quite flexible there. From all of you that use a Howa 1500, what has been your experience with this? Is it a practical concern for the consistent accuracy of the gun?

I purchased the 2 in 1 for my wife and I'm ready to buy a barreled action to put in the full size stock. There is a lot of room between the barrel and the stock on the 2 in 1 will a HVB action fit in this stock?

I have read on a few internet sites (for what it's worth) that the Hogue stocks on Howa 1500 models are very flexible on the front end of the stock and that this can cause the stock to touch the barrel, having a negative effect on accuracy. The one I handled at a gun store was quite flexible there. From all of you that use a Howa 1500, what has been your experience with this? Is it a practical concern for the consistent accuracy of the gun?

ive never had an issue with this.

I purchased the 2 in 1 for my wife and I'm ready to buy a barreled action to put in the full size stock. There is a lot of room between the barrel and the stock on the 2 in 1 will a HVB action fit in this stock?

no, the heavy barrel will not fit in this stock's barrel channel

What is the largest boltface diameter available in a barreled action? Don't any of your rifles come in anything but a Hogue? mtmuley

the largest boltface we offer is the magnum base. .300wm/.7mm remmag/.338wm

Back