HOWA questions here

HOWA love affair...

Thanks for bringing in Matt. He seems like an awesome wealth of knowledge.
I had a HOWA 1500 in .270 and loved that thing. (It instantly killed everything I pulled the trigger on). But like any love affair, there are always idiosyncrasies that find their way into the relationship. For mine, it was carrying slung it over my left shoulder. The waist belt on my pack would inevitably click the safety off, every time. On a couple trips that involved dozens of miles hiked, I opted to carry right-shoulder most of the way, resulting in some pretty pissed off shoulder and neck muscles.
Anyone had this issue in their relationship? Any suggestions/mods out there?
Long story short, my place burnt down in a wildfire 2 years ago and when i replaced my go-to deer/elk rifle, I stared at that safety lever for a long while before going with a T/C in 300 wsm. Which shoots a very respectable .6" moa with a mid range scope.
I do plan on dating another HOWA in the future, but i may get it in less of a backcountry caliber. 22-250 or 243, etc.
Thanks for listening to my relationship woes.
NEF

Last edited:
IMO, a Kifaru gunbearer is much preferable to a sling when wearing a pack. I've yet to have the safety come off, but I carry on the right side using this as well...

Thanks for bringing in Matt. He seems like an awesome wealth of knowledge.
I had a HOWA 1500 in .270 and loved that thing. (It instantly killed everything I pulled the trigger on). But like any love affair, there are always idiosyncrasies that find their way into the relationship. For mine, it was carrying slung it over my left shoulder. The waist belt on my pack would inevitably click the safety off, every time. On a couple trips that involved dozens of miles hiked, I opted to carry right-shoulder most of the way, resulting in some pretty pissed off shoulder and neck muscles.
Anyone had this issue in their relationship? Any suggestions/mods out there?
Long story short, my place burnt down in a wildfire 2 years ago and when i replaced my go-to deer/elk rifle, I stared at that safety lever for a long while before going with a T/C in 300 wsm. Which shoots a very respectable .6" moa with a mid range scope.
I do plan on dating another HOWA in the future, but i may get it in less of a backcountry caliber. 22-250 or 243, etc.
Thanks for listening to my relationship woes.
NEF

Hi!

i never walk with a chambered round. when hunting i prefer to get my sights on the animal, calm down, chamber a round and take my shot. If i know i have some time before taking a shot, ill actually take a few dry fire runs and get my breathing right. Did you have the old 2 position safety trigger? the new triggers are a 3 position safety.

IMO, a Kifaru gunbearer is much preferable to a sling when wearing a pack. I've yet to have the safety come off, but I carry on the right side using this as well...

i love that product! even more i like having a pack that can carry my rifle. It doesnt bother me to retrieve a rifle out of the pack, if i dont have adequate time to take a shot, i wont. the extra time it takes to unbag my rifle doesnt bother me. id rather have my hands free to maneuver/navigate/range finder.

On the verge of ordering a Howa Alpine in .308. Will be mounting a vx6 3-18x44. Anyone have this setup know which hight Leupold rings work best?

Thanks!

thats on the cusp of low/medium because of the objective. if it were me i would try the lows. im sorry i dont know how much space will be left Between barrel and objective.
might want to call leupolds tech support.

thats on the cusp of low/medium because of the objective. if it were me i would try the lows. im sorry i dont know how much space will be left Between barrel and objective.
might want to call leupolds tech support.

Thanks, Matt. That's what I was thinking, but the mount finder app on Leupolds website was saying I needed high rings. Seemed excessive. I just need to call them like you said, I think.

I've been eyeballing a 338 win mag but was curious on the recoil. Some stocks/pads help mitigate recoil better than others. Anyone shot a Howa 338 win mag?

I've been eyeballing a 338 win mag but was curious on the recoil. Some stocks/pads help mitigate recoil better than others. Anyone shot a Howa 338 win mag?

Magnum cartridge, large diameter heavy bullet, yea its going to recoil pretty good. Ive shot a few, wasnt on the top of my "most pleasurable things to do" list.

Pulled the trigger and ordered a barreled action in 308 for my extra 2 in 1 stock. I had a long discussion with myself about getting the 6.5 CM or even the 7mmHT but in the end the cases of ammo and loading components on hand tipped the scales. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Will the barrelled action come with everything to drop it into the green Hogue stock from the 2 in 1?

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger and ordered a barreled action in 308 for my extra 2 in 1 stock. I had a long discussion with myself about getting the 6.5 CM or even the 7mmHT but in the end the cases of ammo and loading components on hand tipped the scales. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Will the barrelled action come with everything to drop it into the green Hogue stock from the 2 in 1?

Nice! im very partial to .308 myself!
yes, as long as the barreled action you bought is a lightweight or a standard barrel, it will all drop right in.
thanks!

Any chance howa brings back the youth model with two stocks. I'm gonna be purchasing a youth model in the next couple years. Would be Awsome to throw a bigger stock on as he grows

Any chance howa brings back the youth model with two stocks. I'm gonna be purchasing a youth model in the next couple years. Would be Awsome to throw a bigger stock on as he grows

unfortunately there are no plans for that.

I think I got one of the last ones. It was on clearance and I couldn't pass it up. That said you can get a full size on sale for pretty cheap and then buy a youth stock.

Picked it up Tuesday took a little trimming on the stock to get the bottom metal in (rubber mold fringe that came out with a pocket knife) it looks great, fits great and break in starts this morning!

"Nice! im very partial to .308 myself!
yes, as long as the barreled action you bought is a lightweight or a standard barrel, it will all drop right in.
thanks!"

Picked it up Tuesday took a little trimming on the stock to get the bottom metal in (rubber mold fringe that came out with a pocket knife) it looks great, fits great and break in starts this morning!

Does Howa have any plans to release any of the mini-action rifles with a compact stock?

Can the current mini-action stock be cut down by a gunsmith for a smaller shooter?

Do you know of any compact aftermarket stocks available for the mini-action?

I'm on the hunt for a compact 204 Ruger and the mini-action is a great candidate for a youth/compact option.

Thanks!

Mark

Does Howa have any plans to release any of the mini-action rifles with a compact stock?

Can the current mini-action stock be cut down by a gunsmith for a smaller shooter?

Do you know of any compact aftermarket stocks available for the mini-action?

I'm on the hunt for a compact 204 Ruger and the mini-action is a great candidate for a youth/compact option.

Thanks!

Mark

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/85076-shortening-hogue-stock.html

https://www.shootersforum.com/gunsmithing/120305-has-anyone-shortened-hogue-overmolded-stock.html

If you will Google shortening a Hogue Stock or Synthetic Stock will give you some good ideas. Those two links seem like pretty good ways that are completely different. I saved those links when I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks for the links! I did find that Boyds is making stocks for the mini-action and will cut a custom LOP. Might just pick up a mini-action and order a shorter stock from Boyds, saving the factory stock for when the boy is bigger.

Thanks for the links! I did find that Boyds is making stocks for the mini-action and will cut a custom LOP. Might just pick up a mini-action and order a shorter stock from Boyds, saving the factory stock for when the boy is bigger.

The Boyds Stock would be a nice way to go. You could go with some butt stock spacers from Midway or Brownell's later as he grows into the gun. Just like a Browning BPS youth gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back