HOWA questions here

So I had my local Sportsmans Warehouse (75 miles away) transfer in the last remaining Howa Alpine that exists in their inventory. I wanted a 7mm-08 but had to settle for a .308 which I have never been a fan of however we don't always get what we want. Any suggestions on bullet weight? Has anyone hand loaded much for one of these? I have 30 plus powders on hand about 10 different 30 cal bullets however a lot of them are heavy for a 308. I was thinking of trying the barnes 168 TTSX. I'll probably buy a factory box or two of Nosler or Hornady factory ammo for break in just because they have decent brass for reloading.

Seems like 150 TTSX are preferred for .308 (generally they say to go down a size for .308). If your gun likes them, 130 grain TTSX in .308 has better terminal ballistics and less drop than 7mm08 140 accubond (or 120 ttsx) at 300yds and very similar at 450yds. There is a little more recoil with .308 though.

Last edited:
I was reading howa warranty and was wondering are we suppose to register our rifles with lsi right away or only if have a issue then register if need warranty or repairs. Thanks

So I had my local Sportsmans Warehouse (75 miles away) transfer in the last remaining Howa Alpine that exists in their inventory. I wanted a 7mm-08 but had to settle for a .308 which I have never been a fan of however we don't always get what we want. Any suggestions on bullet weight? Has anyone hand loaded much for one of these? I have 30 plus powders on hand about 10 different 30 cal bullets however a lot of them are heavy for a 308. I was thinking of trying the barnes 168 TTSX. I'll probably buy a factory box or two of Nosler or Hornady factory ammo for break in just because they have decent brass for reloading.

I have a Howa Alpine in .308 and wanted to shoot 180G Federal Trophy bonded tips, but wasn't happy with the 1"+ groups so I switched to 165G Trophy bonded tips and it now shoots less than .5" at 100y. I also shot groups with some cheaper Hornady American Whitetail 150g when breaking in the rifle. Those 150's didn't shoot near .5". It did shoot a really nice 5 shot group with some 150g Hornady SST, so I think you just need to find what it likes. you will love that rifle in .308. I also heard going down in weight would be good for .308 win. that isn't always true either. I have a Thompson Center Icon in .308 that shoots less than .5" MOA with 150g SST and will do the same with 180g Nosler Partitions. it hates 165g SST bullets. so just find what it likes

People with the Howa Kuiu rifles with 20 inch barrels - what are your thoughts? I was initially leaning towards a long action Howa with a 22 inch barrel for elk and mule deer, but the lightweight Kuiu models are such a good deal with the cerakote that I think I might go with one in 308 or 7mm-08.

People with the Howa Kuiu rifles with 20 inch barrels - what are your thoughts? I was initially leaning towards a long action Howa with a 22 inch barrel for elk and mule deer, but the lightweight Kuiu models are such a good deal with the cerakote that I think I might go with one in 308 or 7mm-08.

Seriously, if there was a Sportsman's Warehouse anywhere near me, I'd probably grab one myself. One of the best, screaming deals out there. Personally, I wouldn't worry about that shorter barrel at all. 50fps is not going to make or break anything.

We have bought 4 of those rifles this month 3 in vias and one in Verde. I am not worried about 20 inch barrel on them. We have not shot them yet but for the price could not say no. Going to give one to each of my boys to hunt with. We haven't put scopes on or went and shot them yet.

I've used Howa rifles with a 20" barrel for the last four years. Lots of animals have been taken on our show, all using rifles with 20" barrels; whitetail, mule deer, elk, antelope, mountain goat, many at distances 300+ yards, all with .308 Win or 7mm-.08.

We need a HT edition... 7mm-08 or 308, Sitka dipped stocks, leupold scope, and a Randy Newberg quote on the side...

I suppose other calibers could be available.... but no quotes! muhahah

Last edited:
I'm looking into a new rifle and was leaning toward building a 7mm-HT on the 1500 barreled action with the 20" lightweight cerekote barrel. Brownells' price is $532. Then I see that Sportsmen's has deal on the Kuiu rifles with a 1500 action and 20" cerekote barrels for $132 less. Do folks know if the barreled action from Brownells is that same as what's in the Kuiu rifle? Thanks!

I've handled one in person, and it looked just like the 20" lightweight action and barrel that I've seen on other Howa rifles, only cerakoted. I'll bet it's the exact same.

All of the 20" "lightweight" barreled actions are the same, save for finish. There's been someone selling the LAW stocks that came on the Alpine on eBay for $200.

All of the 20" "lightweight" barreled actions are the same, save for finish. There's been someone selling the LAW stocks that came on the Alpine on eBay for $200.

Thanks for the info, the wheels are definitely spinning...

my question is in regards to the Kuiu rifle. I've seen some pictures of the Kuiu rifle on your various sites with a hollowed out bolt, like my Alpine Rifle and some with a solid bolt handle. I'm assuming the 20" lightweight Kuiu uses the same barreled action as the outgoing Alpine Mt? and the 22" barrel uses the solid bolt handle with heavier barrel?

my question is in regards to the Kuiu rifle. I've seen some pictures of the Kuiu rifle on your various sites with a hollowed out bolt, like my Alpine Rifle and some with a solid bolt handle. I'm assuming the 20" lightweight Kuiu uses the same barreled action as the outgoing Alpine Mt? and the 22" barrel uses the solid bolt handle with heavier barrel?

According to the specs on their website and a few guys at sportsmans warehouse that is true. I personally have only handled the 20" in person. The 20" is basically the ranchland (#1 barrel) minus the hogue overmolded stock with the addition of the cerakote finish along with the camo. The 22" (#2 barrel)is the hogue non overmold stock with cerakote and camo.

How do you find accuracy with the thin barrel? I was told by a stranger on the internet that your shots will start walking after just one shot. I'm not looking for extended 1moa accuracy over the course of a lengthy range session, but I also want to be able to have confidence in followup shots.

How do you find accuracy with the thin barrel? I was told by a stranger on the internet that your shots will start walking after just one shot. I'm not looking for extended 1moa accuracy over the course of a lengthy range session, but I also want to be able to have confidence in followup shots.

My experience is that you just have to take your time and not let the barrel get hot. Never shoot more than 3 rounds between complete coolings. I had one rifle that would group well, but only if you let the barrel cool down between every single shot. That's extreme, though. If you keep the barrel cool, they can be highly accurate.

my 20" #1 light contour barrel is very accurate with 3 shot groups. those groups are shot with less than a minute between shots. I don't find the light barrel to be an issue on my howa. I'm also not shooting 10 shot groups but I don't spend a lot of time worrying about how hot my barrel is either. Top group in this picture is from howa alpine mt rifle in .308 with thin barrel. The little flyer there was the 2nd shot and was probably me and still sub moa. the bulls eye shot was after adjusting for elevation on the first 3 shot group. probably 2 minutes after shooting the 3 shot group. two other holes left of bulls eye was getting a new scoped rifle on paper.
target.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input. Sets my mind at ease. I saw the Alpine Rifle style stocks on ebay are all sold out - are there any other stock options out there for the Howa lightweight contour short actions?

Back