Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by westernslope View Post
    People with the Howa Kuiu rifles with 20 inch barrels - what are your thoughts? I was initially leaning towards a long action Howa with a 22 inch barrel for elk and mule deer, but the lightweight Kuiu models are such a good deal with the cerakote that I think I might go with one in 308 or 7mm-08.
    Seriously, if there was a Sportsman's Warehouse anywhere near me, I'd probably grab one myself. One of the best, screaming deals out there. Personally, I wouldn't worry about that shorter barrel at all. 50fps is not going to make or break anything.

We have bought 4 of those rifles this month 3 in vias and one in Verde. I am not worried about 20 inch barrel on them. We have not shot them yet but for the price could not say no. Going to give one to each of my boys to hunt with. We haven't put scopes on or went and shot them yet.

People with the Howa Kuiu rifles with 20 inch barrels - what are your thoughts? I was initially leaning towards a long action Howa with a 22 inch barrel for elk and mule deer, but the lightweight Kuiu models are such a good deal with the cerakote that I think I might go with one in 308 or 7mm-08.
    I've used Howa rifles with a 20" barrel for the last four years. Lots of animals have been taken on our show, all using rifles with 20" barrels; whitetail, mule deer, elk, antelope, mountain goat, many at distances 300+ yards, all with .308 Win or 7mm-.08.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

We need a HT edition... 7mm-08 or 308, Sitka dipped stocks, leupold scope, and a Randy Newberg quote on the side...

I suppose other calibers could be available.... but no quotes! muhahah
    Last edited by Speeddmn; 03-07-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speeddmn View Post
    We need a HT edition... 7mm-08 or 308, Sitka dipped stocks, leupold scope, and a Randy Newberg quote on the side...

I suppose other calibers could be available.... but no quotes! muhahah
    Forget the quote, how about a Dairy Queen logo on the stock!

6. Default

I'm looking into a new rifle and was leaning toward building a 7mm-HT on the 1500 barreled action with the 20" lightweight cerekote barrel. Brownells' price is $532. Then I see that Sportsmen's has deal on the Kuiu rifles with a 1500 action and 20" cerekote barrels for $132 less. Do folks know if the barreled action from Brownells is that same as what's in the Kuiu rifle? Thanks!

7. Default

I've handled one in person, and it looked just like the 20" lightweight action and barrel that I've seen on other Howa rifles, only cerakoted. I'll bet it's the exact same.

All of the 20" "lightweight" barreled actions are the same, save for finish. There's been someone selling the LAW stocks that came on the Alpine on eBay for $200.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TBass View Post
    All of the 20" "lightweight" barreled actions are the same, save for finish. There's been someone selling the LAW stocks that came on the Alpine on eBay for $200.
    Thanks for the info, the wheels are definitely spinning...

my question is in regards to the Kuiu rifle. I've seen some pictures of the Kuiu rifle on your various sites with a hollowed out bolt, like my Alpine Rifle and some with a solid bolt handle. I'm assuming the 20" lightweight Kuiu uses the same barreled action as the outgoing Alpine Mt? and the 22" barrel uses the solid bolt handle with heavier barrel?

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Melman View Post
    my question is in regards to the Kuiu rifle. I've seen some pictures of the Kuiu rifle on your various sites with a hollowed out bolt, like my Alpine Rifle and some with a solid bolt handle. I'm assuming the 20" lightweight Kuiu uses the same barreled action as the outgoing Alpine Mt? and the 22" barrel uses the solid bolt handle with heavier barrel?
    According to the specs on their website and a few guys at sportsmans warehouse that is true. I personally have only handled the 20" in person. The 20" is basically the ranchland (#1 barrel) minus the hogue overmolded stock with the addition of the cerakote finish along with the camo. The 22" (#2 barrel)is the hogue non overmold stock with cerakote and camo.

12. Default

How do you find accuracy with the thin barrel? I was told by a stranger on the internet that your shots will start walking after just one shot. I'm not looking for extended 1moa accuracy over the course of a lengthy range session, but I also want to be able to have confidence in followup shots.

How do you find accuracy with the thin barrel? I was told by a stranger on the internet that your shots will start walking after just one shot. I'm not looking for extended 1moa accuracy over the course of a lengthy range session, but I also want to be able to have confidence in followup shots.
    My experience is that you just have to take your time and not let the barrel get hot. Never shoot more than 3 rounds between complete coolings. I had one rifle that would group well, but only if you let the barrel cool down between every single shot. That's extreme, though. If you keep the barrel cool, they can be highly accurate.

my 20" #1 light contour barrel is very accurate with 3 shot groups. those groups are shot with less than a minute between shots. I don't find the light barrel to be an issue on my howa. I'm also not shooting 10 shot groups but I don't spend a lot of time worrying about how hot my barrel is either. Top group in this picture is from howa alpine mt rifle in .308 with thin barrel. The little flyer there was the 2nd shot and was probably me and still sub moa. the bulls eye shot was after adjusting for elevation on the first 3 shot group. probably 2 minutes after shooting the 3 shot group. two other holes left of bulls eye was getting a new scoped rifle on paper.
    Name:  target.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  92.8 KB

15. Default

Thanks everyone for the input. Sets my mind at ease. I saw the Alpine Rifle style stocks on ebay are all sold out - are there any other stock options out there for the Howa lightweight contour short actions?

16. Default

Howa 1500 .270 rifle.
    Need a youth/bantam/woman’s stock for my weight sensitive 5’0” wife.
    Suggestions please.

17. Default

Welp, I bit the bullet and picked up a new Howa 1500 in 7mm HT the other day. Got a good deal at Sportsmans Warehouse. I have a Bell and Carlson medalist stock that I may swap out for the Hogue, although I like the Hogue more than I had expected. Haven't decided on a scope yet. I have a Leupold Rifleman 4-12 that I'll probably throw on for the time being. I'll upgrade that at some point though. This will be my mule deer and antelope rifle primarily. I'm pretty sold on the Barnes ammo and the 120 grain TTSX is looking good. I'll probably pick up a box of Nosler Etip 140 grain and Federal Trophy Copper 140 grain to see if they shoot better than the Barnes. Anyone have experience with 120 grain vs 140 grain? I'll probably stick with all copper ammo as I've had great success in the past. Anyway, I'm pumped for the new rifle and can't wait to get out and shoot!!

Anyone shooting a mini-action in 6.5 Grendel? What kind of real world accuracy are you getting. I’m thinking about buying one

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456