2017 caribou trip

mmcneil

I'm planning a trip to hunt caribou in 2017. I've started talking to a few outfitter/flight services. I'm just curious which herd I should go for? I'm looking at the brooks range ( brooks range aviation) and 40 mile herd (40 mile out of tok). It seems like the brooks range herd is larger but a mature bull might be harder. Does 40 mile have better quality caribou? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

I'm new to the site and this is my first post, so if this has been discussed before please point me towards the thread.

Thanks

I hunted with 40 Mile Air out of Tok last fall. It was weird weather when we went and the caribou sightings were few and far between. I shot a good one on day 2 and my partner shot a meat bull on day 4. Mine was the biggest one we say in the 5 days. We probably saw 30 caribou. But our pilots said the herd totally moved a different direction and they were going to move us, but we still tagged out before they could. I would highly recommend 40 mile air. Very safe and great pilots.

Thanks gozz21. I've talked to 40 mile and really like them. Glad to hear you had a successful hunt with them.

I have used 40-mile. I have used several others as well. 40-mile is at the top of my good list.

Also went with 40 mile air and have no complaints.We didn't have the best migration but we both got bulls.I would use them again in a second.You better call right when they start taking people next year or they will be sold out.Its a great experience being out in their area.You will see sheep,moose,wolves and grizzly.And if they drop you along a creek, it has to be great fishing while you wait for some caribou

When do they start booking their 2017 hunts? I didn't see anything on their website about it. Are the 2016 hunts full now or just the best dates taken? Been thinking on putting a caribou hunt together and 40 Mile comes highly recommended.

When do they start booking their 2017 hunts? I didn't see anything on their website about it. Are the 2016 hunts full now or just the best dates taken? Been thinking on putting a caribou hunt together and 40 Mile comes highly recommended.

They don't book hunts more than a season out. When they open dates for bookings its to return customers for two weeks (I believe) before opening it to new customers. Call and ask what the dates are and mark your calendar.

Pretty tough for a first time customer to get a moose hunt.

40 mile has some big caribou, but it's some big, wooded country too.

A good option is hunting the porcupine herd in the eastern brooks, or go to Kotzebue and hunt the WAC. Bot are in some wild ass country.

Good luck on your hunt.

i have heard great things about brooks range aviation and also talked to them for my next trip to ak. I went to Kotz last year and the hunting was terrible and the air taxi we used was not good. I won't mention in this post who we used but if anyone wants to know about them pm me. It was a great experience with my dad though.

I know last year 40 mile took no new clients, they filled their entire schedule with return customers.

Like bambistew said, the terrain is completely different between that herd and the WACH. It's like comparing whitetail in Northern Idaho and the Kansas grasslands.

i have heard great things about brooks range aviation and also talked to them for my next trip to ak. I went to Kotz last year and the hunting was terrible and the air taxi we used was not good. I won't mention in this post who we used but if anyone wants to know about them pm me. It was a great experience with my dad though.

I hunted out of there several years ago. Only seen 5 caribou the entire trip. Hunters who used Northern Air Trophy did very well. I went with We Guide Alaska. Surely don't blame them for our lack of success with the caribou movement being very slow because of warm weather. They did however set us up well with equipment and food. I really want to hunt caribou up there again. I'll be following you guys chasing them up there. I'd appreciate a pm. Good huntin'

Robert, just use 40 mile if you go again.I'm a past customer and could get us a spot if I go again

It's my good fortune to say that I was hunting with 3 of the guys who have responded on this thread, and they all took nice bulls in the 40 Mile country. Good hunters, and even better hunt partners.

If you haven't hunted with 40 Mile yet, they start taking reservations for 2017 hunts on December 15 I believe. If you are a returning customer, they start taking reservations on December 1.

The things I really like about 40 Mile are:
- big on safety
- well organized
- have a cold storage boxcar to store your meat until you fly back to Tok after your hunt

Michael

Mike, if your looking for a good partner, take big28hunter with you next time.He will love it,and hunts his butt off.One thing you forgot on your list is its some awesome country to hunt.After being to 2 other places in Ak, 40 miles area is by far my favorite

Thanks for all the replies and advice, I would love to see some carbiou pictures from 40 mile if you guys have any. What is the typical terrain you might encounter with 40 mile? I know to be prepared for anything, but it was stated that there is more timber in that area.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back