PEAX Equipment

Dog food

We fed our dingus Beneful for 9 1/2 years with no issues. Moved over to Natural Balance for some reason (Mom's orders) and our dog loves it too. No issues with gas, but she does crap twice as much for some reason.

Plus, she gets whatever she wants from the scraps and often times will have her own piece of steak, but we're DINKS.

We feed our dogs Hill's Science Diet Adult Healthy Mobility (dry dog food)- it's pricey, but I'm sold on the joint benefits. And my bums won't eat anything else now that they've been eating that (it smells nasty to me...so of course they love it. :eek: )

I would also pay attention to your dogs needs as to how much energy he burns. Some of these "pro" foods are higher in fats and protein than your dogs activity level may need. High protein and not enough work load can lead to over use of the kidney and liver.

my dogs eat Hills. type varied with age. theybar 12 &14 yrs old now so eat their J/d for joint help.
we give them ground elk daily with the dry food.

I use Pro Plan Sport for my pup, but only because that is what the breeder was feeding. A side question would be does anyone find it strange to feed a puppy an adult dog food? My Vet was concerned he would gain weight faster than his bone structure could support. However, my feeling was why would the breeder risk that when she gives a lifetime guarantee should the dog develop hip/joint problems? His coat shines and his poo is firm. He definitely loves it and I use kibble for obedience training as well. Thx for input.

I use Purine One Lamb / Rice that I am able to buy at Sam's Club in 50lb bags. I tried Natures Wild and other high end when my dog was young but she stopped liking and eating it so this is what she like best. Also to boost protein, I make her wild game jerky, just without the cure and seasoning. I keep all the scraps and less desirable meat and dehydrate it for dog treats. It is a great supplement to her diet especially during active season.

We went with pro plan sport. Seems to work.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
For my 43 lb Whippet she gets:

Blue Buffalo kibble, 1/2 cup three times a day.
1 tsp of Blue Buffalo can food, on the side with kibble.

I also make some of my own dog food which I use instead of the BB canned food. I use boiled potatoes, canned peas and carrots and a bit of chicken stock. I combine the vegi mix with some "inside" meat like chicken livers, gizzards, or beef liver.

I echo what some of the others say. For your kibble, look for meat in first ingredients, then rice, potatoes, etc rather than corn and no " meat byproducts" Many companies are going this route.

Cheers,

Mark

025.jpg

Our 48 lb Border Collie cross eats Taste of the Wild. We try to change up the flavor for him every bag we buy.

Attachments

• IMG_2917.JPG
    IMG_2917.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 289
I use Pro Plan Sport for my pup, but only because that is what the breeder was feeding. A side question would be does anyone find it strange to feed a puppy an adult dog food? My Vet was concerned he would gain weight faster than his bone structure could support. However, my feeling was why would the breeder risk that when she gives a lifetime guarantee should the dog develop hip/joint problems? His coat shines and his poo is firm. He definitely loves it and I use kibble for obedience training as well. Thx for input.

I've always been told that puppy formulas contain more nutrients, vitamins, etc... that are needed more for growth and development. I'm just now switching my lab to adult formula at 1 yr of age.

I also feed pro-plan large breed(focus) I think it's chicken and rice formula. I don't feel the need for the "sport" food as my dog isn't super active, but I may consider blending some in during peak hunting season if I run her more in the future. I also occasionally supplement with organic coconut oil or fish oil which seems to help with skin issues and gives her a nice coat.

We have had our, now 10 year old, Chesapeake Bay Retriever on Purina Pro Plan for every stage of her life ( Puppy, Adult, and now Senior). We will continue with the Purina Pro Plan for our next dog.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back