Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Lab Puppy Problem

Labs can be really tricky because of how many different mentalities they have. I've always had a yellow in my life since I was born. Most of ours have been easily shamed (emotional spankings work much better than physical pain). They also all went through phases of biting but grew out of it. Good luck! They are easily the best breed of dogs there is ;)

Thanks guys, you truly brought this post back from the dead! hahaha The offender just turned 3 last week, and yes she has outgrown the biting problem for the most part. She eventually wised up to the "lip into the teeth trick" when she realized that if she pulled away fast enough I couldn't grab her mouth. That technique did work pretty good though. We got her broke in on an e-collar and did some puppy obedience classes a few years back...that helped tremendously!
She's not the best hunter by a long shot, but she likes to chase pheasants with us and will usually retrieve a downed bird(with a little guidance). I never really had the ability to get her exposed to live birds, and I realize now how crucial that is. Regardless, she is very loved and spoiled.

Glad to hear it turned out well! I have a 11 Month male right now, and I decided from day 1 that this was not going to be a democracy relationship. Some of my non-hunting friends think its mean and too much (mostly girls), but it works. We had a Monday Night football party last night with my dog, (Griz, 11 months, male, yellow lab) my roommates (Hank, 10 months, male, black) and a friends dog (Honey, 8 months, female, mini goldendoodle). The funny part is that this girl has told me a few times she thinks its mean how I break bad habits in Griz, yet watching the game Griz sat on his bed (on command) for 3 hours and broke twice, both times corrected with an E collar. Hank, who is a little behind Griz in training, broke quite a bit but spent much of his time on his place. Honey, was all over the place, jumping on the couch, pooped on the floor, trying to steal food from the coffee table etc... Shows what proper training can do and an E-collar done right.

Most of his bad habits I break with overwhelming dominance and force, not cruel or harmful, but forceful. He has jumped on people a grand total of 3 times (me) and learned fast that getting instantly pinned on your back is not fun :) But now he does almost anything I want him to do and very little he isn't supposed to, and he is only 11 months. I can't wait to see what the future holds!

Don't even think about a shock collar for this, it's not even remotely appropriate.

You need to show your pup who is the alpha right now. You do that by showing dominance in dog terms. That's not shocking, letting your arm go limp, or yelling.

Next time she bites grab the scruff of her neck and shove your hand straight to the ground. If you do it right, all four will be in the air and she'll be on her back. While she's down, hold her mouth shut and give it a firm squeeze.

You're not being abusive, you are simply showing your pup that there ARE LIMITS. Look at what dogs do when another crosses the line. The reaction is swift and decisive. Yours should be no different.

I agree with this 100%. I would add that when you put her in the submissive position (on her back), don't let her up until she quits fighting it. And if you can control her face, make sure she is making eye contact with you. Avoiding eye contact, stepping on your foot, trying to cut you off when going through doors, yawning instead of obeying a command can all be forms of passive aggressive defiance.

I have a really strong willed black lab, he was a bear to train, I feel like a strong willed dog will show you your flaws as a human. He is ten years old now, and is still going pretty strong, but I still need to put him in his place once or twice a year.....

I agree with this 100%. I would add that when you put her in the submissive position (on her back), don't let her up until she quits fighting it. And if you can control her face, make sure she is making eye contact with you. Avoiding eye contact, stepping on your foot, trying to cut you off when going through doors, yawning instead of obeying a command can all be forms of passive aggressive defiance.

I have a really strong willed black lab, he was a bear to train, I feel like a strong willed dog will show you your flaws as a human. He is ten years old now, and is still going pretty strong, but I still need to put him in his place once or twice a year.....

Hah! just realized this is a 3 year old post.

Roll the lips over so they bite their own lip when they have your hand in their mouth. If that doesnt work I'd try the ear pinch.

I WOULD NOT put an e-collar on that young.

Also, I've read to not throw or let them fetch sticks. They'll bring back a stick if they can't find a downed bird. I know it's hard and I'm as guilty as anyone, but just what the experts say!

Good looking pup! I'd recommend getting involved in an AKC or UKC club... having a goal to at least get your dog to a Junior/Started level will do wonders.

Roll the lips over so they bite their own lip when they have your hand in their mouth. If that doesnt work I'd try the ear pinch.

I WOULD NOT put an e-collar on that young.

Also, I've read to not throw or let them fetch sticks. They'll bring back a stick if they can't find a downed bird. I know it's hard and I'm as guilty as anyone, but just what the experts say!

Good looking pup! I'd recommend getting involved in an AKC or UKC club... having a goal to at least get your dog to a Junior/Started level will do wonders.

Also just realized a 3 year old post... oops

so how's the dog doing!?!?!?

I wouldn't use an e collar for this. They are for re enforcing known commands. This dog doesn't know what you want

What has work for me is a stern no and grabbing the dogs mouth and making the dog bite its own lips. I would go as far as making the dog yulp. It only took a few times for my dogs.

This 100%. Pushing their lips into their teeth until they yulp with a stern "NO" will change things quickly.

Back