Which Meat Grinder?

Just have to put a warning out Dave N, when using a meat mixer you can over do it, I have seen it more than once when meat mixer guy leaves it go to long and they end up with glorify hotdog product. Stick with the cold hands is my motto, you always know the consistently of your product that way.

I have one of the hand crank models. Pretty easy to tell when things are mixed completely and I get to have warm hands! ;) Probably something to consider with motor driven mixers, though.

My parents and I split a Cabelas 3/4hp a few years back. We probably grind 4-5 deer a year and its definitely more than we need. That, with a foot pedal, will grind far faster than you can handle it. I love it. Any of the commercial Cabelas grinders will do great.

Although a heavy brute to move around, the Cabelas 1 3/4 hp commercial grinder I own will flat grind burger in short order (two elk and a deer by my lonesome one week). After being subjected to moisture during an ice jam flood on the Gallatin, although stored high on a shelf, the switch or some electrical component failed and it would not start.
Even though in excess of four years since purchase, Cabelas honored warranty and swapped out for a brand new grinder, which had a price tag $100 greater than original purchase price. I am pleased with Cabelas and my grinder.

attachment.php

Man if I did that to our kitchen table my wife would chop my you know what off.

Does the Kitchen aid have different grind plates?

Nemont
They come with a coarse and a finer plate. I've done 6 pronghorns in a day and 2 cow elk a different day. I just take my time and stop when the motor starts getting hot. I've also found that long, thin strips of meat grind easier. Works for me, but I'm sorta cheap. Someday I may buy a dedicated grinder, but not today...

I like my kitchen aid if I'm going to do a two or three pound batch of sausage or something quick for a couple days worth of breakfasts or if my wife wants to make meatballs. It's nice and convenient.

It's funny because I refused to get one when I was single, even with all of the cooking I do and other butchering related stuff that it would have made my life convenient, because I didn't want my buddies to give me crap about it. Now I'm married, so it's ok to have one and they won't say I'm gay. :D

I bought one off Ebay with the STX name on it. Been using it for 5 years now and it is impressive. Made sausage with some buddies this year and one had a LEM 3/4 horse and it was a joke compared to mine. I would never get one that did not have a reverse switch. While mine rarely bogged down from shank meat and such, the LEM stopped all the time and there was no reverse and it had to be taken apart to clean. Plus the LEM was a lot more money for less performance in a side by side comparison. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-REB...484961?hash=item4888d7bba1:g:fokAAMXQDrJRzwk5

Yep, these are great. Very solid and chew through anything.

It's funny because I refused to get one when I was single, even with all of the cooking I do and other butchering related stuff that it would have made my life convenient, because I didn't want my buddies to give me crap about it. Now I'm married, so it's ok to have one and they won't say I'm gay. :D

I had my mom's Kitchenaid she got for wedding gift in 1948. Juicer,grinder,the whole deal.
It finally died and the ex got a new one. She used it for bread all the time,til I got her a Hobart.
I see a black Kitchenaid in my future.

I got one comment once about being able to cook,clean and such. He was real sorry after my "Does your mommy follow you around and wipe your......." then the back up.
Now I just give them stink eye and eat it myself.

Last edited:
Curious about which meat grinders people use? I have used the Cabelas 1hp in the past and it seems to work quite well, but it is sold out and now it appears Cabelas has a new model called the Carnivore. Has anyone had any experience with this grinder? Also looking at the LEM, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I wrote you a comment about a business out of Three Forks that sells all things for processing your own meat.Did you check this out? I think it would be worth your time and as well giving your business to a local company over Cabelas,if cost effective, indicates higher intelligence.

Shhh.... I've been trying to win one for less than $120 on ebay for the past week since this thread taught me about them. :)

Hopefully you got it! If not, you can get them used on Amazon. I've bought several items that were listed as "good" condition, and they were like-new.

The best one I have found happens to be operated and owned by the best neighbor on my block. I show up with my animal, he magically transforms it into steaks and grinds it in seconds. I've also been told it will grind your entire arm off in seconds.

I am not allowed to touch it, and that is my favorite kind of grinder :)

Attachments

• meatgrinder.jpg
    meatgrinder.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 617
I found most grinders to be worthless. I found a commercial size grinder that came out of a supermarket, can't beat it. If you look on Craig's List or ebay you can usually find them used for under $500, new they are several thousand $. Obviously they would be pick-up only. I found mine at a local swapmeet.

ps....................the picture posted above my post is what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
My buddy has a old commercial grinder that was probably made in the 50s. You can drop 50 lbs of meat in the tray and have it ground in about 2 min. We turned 6 elk 3deer and 2 lopes into burger breakfast sausage and kielbasa in about 3 hours. It was about 200lbs burger, 150 kielbasa, and 125lbs BS. We use a old baseball bat to feed it with. I'm pretty sure it would take your arm off before you knew what was happening.

My buddy has a old commercial grinder that was probably made in the 50s. You can drop 50 lbs of meat in the tray and have it ground in about 2 min. We turned 6 elk 3deer and 2 lopes into burger breakfast sausage and kielbasa in about 3 hours. It was about 200lbs burger, 150 kielbasa, and 125lbs BS. We use a old baseball bat to feed it with. I'm pretty sure it would take your arm off before you knew what was happening.

Yep, this puppy is probably circa 1950, no safety mechanisms on it....safe the On/Off switch. It chews through 50 lbs in less than 2 minutes as you said. Not even a change in RPM sound, impressive.

Yep,I found a commercial Hobart dough mixer & a big meat grinder thru a used restaurant site. $300 for both,needed new switches.I sold the Hobart meat grinder to a butcher for $300.
Way too big for my use. They weigh a ton!

Now the bread mixer was smaller/mobile unit and I ate fresh bread daily for 16 yrs....

I just bought a used Hobart meat slicer for $300 for making jerky and Italian shaved beef style cuts. All I can say is wow, that was money well spent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back