Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Which Meat Grinder?

Like a few others I have a 3/4hp cabelas. Been very happy so far. A friend of mine bought a 3/4 hp LEM at the same time and he is just as happy as I am. I think if you stick with a reputable brand you should be fine.

Also happy with my 3/4 hp Cabelas. I assume you will be registered at Cablelas?:D

Haha. Not quite, but it turns out Amazon has a button you can add in items from Cabelas or anywhere else:D

Also I find it funny that, so far the registry is full of meat processing and hunting items, and I didn't add them...

attachment.php

Man if I did that to our kitchen table my wife would chop my you know what off.

Does the Kitchen aid have different grind plates?

Nemont

I did the kitchenaid for 2 seasons, probably 6 deer and antelope with a smaller motor model (250w) and it was getting close to overheating when running meat at near frozen like you should be doing. I got the LEM #8 grinder and its a whole different animal, probably 5-10x the through put and way more grind plates available and stuffer tubes where the kitchen is simply what kitchenaid makes. The hopper is also a huge problem for the kitchenaid, it isn't big enough.

attachment.php

Man if I did that to our kitchen table my wife would chop my you know what off.

Does the Kitchen aid have different grind plates?

Nemont

She definitely did not like it, but I mixed the sausage seasonings in by hand and I need a big clean surface area to work it into the meat. Mixing in the pork and beef fat, along with a bit of bacon, the bigger the area the better. I just need to make sure I clean the table really well, else my wife would definitely start sharpening her you-know-what-chopper-offer.

Mine only has two different grind plates, one coarse and one fine, along with a couple stuffing horns for sausage casings. I'm not sure if they sell attachments with more.

I have the larger Kitchen Aid, 575w I believe, and between myself and my family have run a half a dozen elk, a moose, and easily a dozen deer/antelope through it. So far so good.

I use a Weston 1hp grinder and I wouldn't have it any other way! It grinds meat faster than we can prep it. Has taken care of: 4 elk and 10 deer since we got it six years ago. I think it was around $550-$600 shipped to our door. Found it new online. Stuffer and attachments make great brats and snak stix. Heavy Duty!

She definitely did not like it, but I mixed the sausage seasonings in by hand and I need a big clean surface area to work it into the meat. Mixing in the pork and beef fat, along with a bit of bacon, the bigger the area the better. I just need to make sure I clean the table really well, else my wife would definitely start sharpening her you-know-what-chopper-offer.

Mine only has two different grind plates, one coarse and one fine, along with a couple stuffing horns for sausage casings. I'm not sure if they sell attachments with more.

I have the larger Kitchen Aid, 575w I believe, and between myself and my family have run a half a dozen elk, a moose, and easily a dozen deer/antelope through it. So far so good.

Get a couple big meat tubs. Some of the best money that I ever spent for processing chores.

Get a couple big meat tubs. Some of the best money that I ever spent for processing chores.

I use a big rubbermaid tote...$6 at Shopko. Doubles as an oversized wash tub for grinder parts.

Now that I got the hang of making sausage, I'm going to get one of those big meat mixers to keep from burying my hands in nearly frozen meat.

I use a big rubbermaid tote...$6 at Shopko. Doubles as an oversized wash tub for grinder parts.

Now that I got the hang of making sausage, I'm going to get one of those big meat mixers to keep from burying my hands in nearly frozen meat.

I started off with the hand crank mixer, but upgraded to a big one that fits on my Cabelas grinder. That thing is really great for making sausage.

We also have a patty maker that fits on the grinder. We make big bacon burger patties and vac seal them in packs of eight, before throwing them in the freezer.

LOL,the ex would have...nevermind.
She even had the big Hobart bread mixer along with the big Kitchen Aid.
I would put down plastic next time maybe.

I am thinking of getting a Kitchen aid as I have no kitchen mixer now.
I have used a Universal hand grinder for many years,just smaller batches.
Ditto the meat tubs.

Last edited:
I came close to getting the Lem #8 for around $100 but I have a hard time justifying even that low cost of a unit due to the minimal amount of meat I get each year. If we had OTC WT tags here I would certainly spring for it or the bigger grinders, but I fully expect to only get to hunt a deer or elk every other year on average.

They also work great at other times of the year. I use mine to grind up leftover ham for ham salad, and now and then I find a cheap pork butt or shoulder and grind it to make sausage. It's a lot cheaper than buying sausage already made! Once you have a nice grinder you'll wonder what took so long to get one.

I don't know how it compares to the new ones, but we've had a Cabelas one since 2003, and it still works like the day we got it. It has done a minimum 1 elk, and 1 deer every year. Some years 3 elk, and several deer.

I bought one off Ebay with the STX name on it. Been using it for 5 years now and it is impressive. Made sausage with some buddies this year and one had a LEM 3/4 horse and it was a joke compared to mine. I would never get one that did not have a reverse switch. While mine rarely bogged down from shank meat and such, the LEM stopped all the time and there was no reverse and it had to be taken apart to clean. Plus the LEM was a lot more money for less performance in a side by side comparison. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-REB...484961?hash=item4888d7bba1:g:fokAAMXQDrJRzwk5

Last edited:
Another Cabelas 1hp user for the last 8 years. A couple of elk, a bunch of deer and here's the first round of moose from this year...

Hamburger%202nd_zps2vdig6gf.jpg

I have been using Cabela's 1 3/4 hp grinder and it can flat grind some meat in no time, although it's a heavy brute to haul around. At 4 1/2 years old it would not start (suspect it was the switch) and I called to troubleshoot and try to get it going. No questions asked, I was given an exchange number, took it back to Cabelas and was given a brand new grinder, which was priced $100 more than my original one.
Cabelas treated me well and I have a grinder that performs incredibly well.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back