Caribou Gear Tarp

Cooper Model 92

I have one in 300 Win Mag as well topped with a Leupold 3-18 x 44 mm scope.

I shot it for the first time last weekend and it's not bad to shoot.

I put about fifteen rounds though it over the course of a couple hours (shoot, clean, shoot clean, shoot a couple clean, let barrel cool ect.) off a bipod and it wasn't bad at all.

I know I'm going to love packing it, that's for sure! I didn't notice to bolt issue you gents are talking about above but I'll pay closer attention next time I shoot it.

Congrats on the new rifle, heckuva set up topped with the NF. I almost went that direction myself.

I like Cooper rifles. Made just down the road from my house. As soon as I get my kids out of college, I'm going to have one. Probly the long range model in a fast .30 (RUM) mtmuley

well, good news and bad news. The bad news is the bolt on my 92 backcountry malfunctioned and would load after working the bolt so you couldn't cycle it back closed. Had to use a shoe string to manually reset it. the good news is I took it back into scheels and they allowed me to switch out the rifle to another one off the shelf. I thought they might switch out the bolt or have it sent in but when I expressed my frustration the guy I bought the gun from said if you like the black one better (I never liked the grey/blue to start with, and was going to pay to have it cerakoted) that he would swap them...I of course said yes. 20 minutes later I was walking out with a different new 92. Excellent customer service from Scheels! I was concerned about the weight of the 92 but after shooting 20 rounds off bags last weekend I have no concerns about the recoil. The MB does its job!

IMG_2073.jpg

I've got a model 92 in 7 rem mag topped off with a nightforce 5.5-22x50 nxs. I had seconds thoughts on putting a 31 oz scope on a light rifle but am a nightforce junkie. 71 grains of retumbo and a 180 vld puts groups around .3-.4 if I do my part. It's a dream to pack and replaced my 6.5-284 cooper Excalibur as my go to do everything rifle.

adubs, how is the bolt on the new gun? Is it as stiff while decocked as your old gun?

Mine is really stiff so I am trying to decipher whether it is indicative of a problem and whether mine will have the same problems your gun had.

My 92 was very stiff and then around the 100 round mark, seemed to lighten up a little bit. Of the 5 coopers I've owned I've found this to be the case in each one from 22-250 to 28 nosler.

I was told that its normal as its cocking the gun when you cycle the bolt. I don't believe its something indicative of the bolt malfunctioning and I haven't seen or read any evidence to suggest what I experienced to be normal. I'm not concerned about the new one and I don't think you should be either.

on a side note for people reading this and wondering about shooting a light rifle in larger calibers don't be. I just gone done with my turkey hunt here in WI and I'd much rather pull the trigger on my 300 win mag 92 than my 12 gauge benelli super vinci with 3.5" #5 turkey loads. IMHO recoil is not an issue with this rifle.

Last edited:
No 7mm-08 available, but even better, a 280 AI is. mtmuley

That's the one I got, picked it up from Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, MT right around Christmas. Recoil is very manageable, topped this rifle with a Leupold 4.5-14x44 VX3 and Talley 1-piece rings. Freakin' sweet rig.

Adam, any pics? Is yours 3+1 or 4+1? What bullets are you shooting? What's the velocity?

One day I'll have a .280ai. Not sure why when I have a 7mag....I just do.

Adam, any pics? Is yours 3+1 or 4+1? What bullets are you shooting? What's the velocity?

One day I'll have a .280ai. Not sure why when I have a 7mag....I just do.

3+1, shooting factory Nosler Trophy Grade ammo with 140gr Accubonds. Velocity has been very good, 3100-3125 so far with my chrono. I'll get a pic up asap, hopefully a target too. Took a while to do barrel break in, but no visible fouling after about 4-5 shots when I started. Accuracy looks very good too, but it will get better as I dial in a handload and get this rig ready to go for fall.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back