Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cooper Model 92

adamjcook

I just saw the new Cooper Model 92 Backcountry rifle from the SHOT show, so named because it weighs 92 ounces. As a Montana resident I'm always up to support an in state company but this rifle looks really great. Jewell trigger, Wilson Arms barrel and the usual Cooper quality should make a really sweet package. No idea on the cost or exact arrival time yet but this one has a spot on my wish list.

I'm very interested to see some more info on this rifle also. Been researching it tonight and so far I like what I can find about it. Curious to see the price tag on it though. Sounds like they may be taking orders towards the end of the month.

From the one picture and short blurb I read about the rifle it has my interest, especially if they offer it for lefties. Looks like a good one, but I'm afraid the cost might be prohibitive for me.

Can't wait to get more details. I like the idea of custom rifle performance with a name most folks will recognize should you decide to sell (crazy.....but I always like having options).

I heard they would go for about 3K.

Kimber Montana still wins the LW game.....by a long shot.

Does anybody have experience with the Cooper Backcountry?

A 300 Win Mag comes in at 5lb 12oz. That same caliber in Kimber Mountain Ascent is 6lb 7oz.

Is it worth $800 to save 11oz? I think probably not, but the Cooper has a 1/2 MOA guarantee vs the 1 MOA guarantee on the Kimber, which is irrelevant in most hunting situations, but I wonder if it's indicative of overall quality... which might make it worth spending the extra money.

I got to hold a Cooper a few weeks ago and my buddy has a new Kimber coming next week so I can compare a little better, but I'd love advice if anybody has some to share.

I'd rather let most anyone punch me in the face as shoot a sub 7lb 300wm.

While i disagree, I agree.

I wish they made the 92 in a short action. I've caught the 7oyoa bug and would have one in a 92 if such a beast existed. I love the look and feel of the moss green mountain ascent but their quality has always been so hit or miss. I just cannot get myself to buy one.

They do look pretty sweet. I've seen the Excalibur models and they are a nice rifle but heavy. The 92 should be a great gun.

I've looked at them in scheels. If I was looking to spend more than what I did on a Tikka, that's what I would have got. Thought about it for some time actually.

It has a brake. Recoil would ne manageable. It's a beautiful gun. So light. Jewel trigger is superb.

Just picked mine up in 300 win mag from Scheels with a 4-16x42 atacr. Won't get it to the range until next weekend but I'm looking forward to that 3rd season Colorado deer hunt and late season AZ bull tag even more now! IMG_1941.jpg

I'd rather let most anyone punch me in the face as shoot a sub 7lb 300wm.

they come with a brake, so recoil shouldn't be anything to worry about....but id almost rather deal with the recoil than the muzzle blast from a brake.

Just picked mine up in 300 win mag from Scheels with a 4-16x42 atacr. Won't get it to the range until next weekend but I'm looking forward to that 3rd season Colorado deer hunt and late season AZ bull tag even more now! View attachment 69628
That combo should have plenty of reach! I wish they made an NSX (ie lighter) version of that scope.

Adubs, sweet rifle. The bolt on mine is really hard to lift after the trigger is pulled. Once its cocked its not too bad. Is yours similar?

Adubs, sweet rifle. The bolt on mine is really hard to lift after the trigger is pulled. Once its cocked its not too bad. Is yours similar?

Yes it is, I'm going to talk to my gunsmith about that. Something with the bolt assembly seems off to me. I'm not an expert but I can't figure out why it's so much harder to work the bolt after the trigger is pulled? Anxious to see what 180 grains feels like cooking out of this thing...just over 7.5lbs total weight...

Yes it is, I'm going to talk to my gunsmith about that. Something with the bolt assembly seems off to me. I'm not an expert but I can't figure out why it's so much harder to work the bolt after the trigger is pulled? Anxious to see what 180 grains feels like cooking out of this thing...just over 7.5lbs total weight...

It's harder after the trigger is pulled because lifting the bolt is what cocks the rifle.

Back