Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Any Grand Slam or Super Slammers!?

putm2sleep

Just curious if there are any DIY grand slammers that are HT ers? Is it
Possible? So many impressive dudes on here, imagine so.

To the good old days part Of the thread : when I was my son's age - a western hunt was once a 'grand slam a super slam to hunt an antelope!!! once in a lifetime to have trophy bull elk antlers on my wall. These days this guy wants to hunt that grand slam and draw for big horn.

Last edited:
I'm not sure either are possibly completely DIY since some of the species have guide requirements for non-residents. Best bet would be for a Canadian.

A Super Slam was a dream of mine. Then I grew up and learned what real costs and logistics were involved. Pipe dream at best for me now. Heck, I'll be lucky to pull off a Super 10.

I was thinking the same as Pointer, but I suppose it would be possible if one lived in Canada and drew a Desert tag. My gramps had 4 of the 5 sheep DIY, had dual citizenship a ranch in BC and his winter house was in AZ... he applied for desert tags but never drew.

I think it would be pretty tough to do today though.

Confirmed not possible these days. Pipe dream, but ya never know. Little old to be dreaming. Thought some dudes on here might be, or be close! Just a little different subject / topic. >>>Bambi has quite a few checked off I bet. Glass eye may have a world slam of something? Buzz and critter to name several. Maybe a lurker for years is? Impressive your gramps had the 4!

My gramps had 4 of the 5 sheep= quote (I do not know how to quote a msg)

I have seen a California Bighorn listed as a separate sheep , not my opinion but this would add to the Dall , Stone Desert, Bighorn

My gramps had 4 of the 5 sheep= quote (I do not know how to quote a msg)

I have seen a California Bighorn listed as a separate sheep , not my opinion but this would add to the Dall , Stone Desert, Bighorn
My guess as well.

If we're going to pick nits... I was counting California. I suppose if we really wanted to get down to it. I think there is 8-9 in NA? I think there is 3 or 4 desert subs.

He had 2 bighorns from MT, from back when tags were OTC. He took a Stone, Dall and California from BC as well as a pile of other critters. Wish he was still around. Fun to listen to all the stories about hunting. He did leave a legacy in the form of hours and hours of super 8 movies. Fun to see pack strings loaded with animals, camps, etc.

Sadly my crazy aunt took all the mounts when he passed and no one knows where they went. Luckily all the big elk and muledeer racks fed the squirrels. Hard to imagine tossing giant elk racks into the bushes, just to pack out a couple hundred pounds of shoe leather elk meat. Especially when you consider they had beef and lamb to eat.

You don't count.:D
You sound like my wife! And the dog!

Bambi- I bet those were some great tales to hear. Though not nearly as exciting, every time I visit my grandpa I try to get him talking about his rabbit dogs from years past. Him and his brothers killed a lot of rabbits over beagles through the years. I get a kick out of how he remembers the years for the stories by the car/truck he had at the time. He does the same thing with vacations grandma and him took.

Last edited:
If we're going to pick nits... I was counting California. I suppose if we really wanted to get down to it. I think there is 8-9 in NA? I think there is 3 or 4 desert subs.

I was pretty sure you were referring to California as the fifth, just being a miller.

Awesome accomplishment.

I was pretty sure you were referring to California as the fifth, just being a miller.

Awesome accomplishment.

Yes! Didnt know about the California, so I am educated and super impressed.
>>>Thought someone might know someone, and have or heard wonderful stories, and great tales of adventure!

Well done Jwill - I looked through this post 50 times years ago, now I will slobber over it some more.
Psinclair is a SUPER slammer in my book, period!

Interesting thread, always plenty to dream about and plan for future hunts. I have never been a person worried about scores, inches or awards. But growing up I always wanted to shoot the South Pacific 15 free range, self guided and in their original locations they were released 150 odd years ago (time varies on specie).

I did it well before I was 30 and have shot most of them multiple times again over the years. A lot of effort, commitment and dedication involved. While mates were getting married and having kids I was jumping on planes seeking adventure in different locations. Often spending 150-200 days a year either hunting or guiding.

Nowadays I don't have to kill a big trophy to have had a good hunt and if I shoot a female deer for the freezer the hunt is just as good as if a big old stag was taken. I still spend a power of time hunting each year, just the goal posts have shifted slightly.

After looking up the cost it would take to do even a Super Slam... I'll buy a house on a lake instead.

I've heard up to $400,000 etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back