Idaho help selway zone

Lanieperch

So i posted the thread about idaho 10/12 for elk. After we looked at the numbers it does not seem like that would be the right zone. So we are now , looking a little further south to the. Selway zone. I looked at a bunch of internet aricles and alot of it is old. Does anyome have any info on this that is willing to share. We are a group of 5 rifles hunters willing to work on foot to get the elk. We are from minnesota. I already looked at the game and fish website. I was hoping to get some hands on info. We are bringing my 14 year old son on his first elk hunt. You can PM if thats better. I appreciate any and all information.

Huh, I had to friends that hunted 10a this year, both did well, reporting lots of elk.

Massive difference between 10A and the selway. If your friends are finding lots of elk in 10A they have a honey hole. It's nowhere near the elk hunting it used to be (mid80's-early 90's)

From research & reading I would deineately not go to the selway. There are some over the counter areas that hold good elk for rifle. As you said though be ready for a LOT of hiking. Idaho has some unique application rules that make draw zones enticing. Maybe think 2/3 yrs later, no points but people usually draw in a few yrs,, and apply for higher % areas. The quota system is great too, if you tag early and there are left over quota tags you can pay the fee and continue hunting for 'another' elk!! Opportunity hunting??? Well if you have a elk tag and see a trophy bear, bam!!! Put that tag on it! Same for cats & wolves, although a wolf tag is only $33 so have one of those in your pocket as a rule. Always take out a predator, makes opportunity for the next guy, sort of like passing it on.
Good luck!!

The Selway and Lolo elk zones are nothing like they used to be in regards to numbers. There is a reason they do not sell out the tags anymore. It is beautiful country to spend a week in and some big bulls still call the area home. If you go there you best be prepared for some steep and thick hunting with lots of hiking. And the real possibility of not even seeing an elk. The successful hunters there have past experience with thier areas and still work very hard at getting an elk. I wish you the best in what you decide to do.

To be frank with you guys Montana is way. More expensive than idaho for non residents. When i add in the cost of my sons tag. In idaho o can hunt for 146 for the license and 446 for the tag. My sons tag cost less than $40. In montana my elk license cosy me 840 and my son will be $500.

To be frank with you guys Montana is way. More expensive than idaho for non residents. When i add in the cost of my sons tag. In idaho o can hunt for 146 for the license and 446 for the tag. My sons tag cost less than $40. In montana my elk license cosy me 840 and my son will be $500.

OK - find a better elk unit in Idaho.

Research is part of the fun.

Here's an elky spot in the spud state that's a good example of what to look for.

DSC00368.jpg

It has it all....water, feed, cover, steeper than cows face, and most importantly a LONG ways from any road. I call it the Abyss.

Get in the timber and find wallows like this and your getting warmer.

DSC00369.jpg

Of course being so close to Corn Creek (Ground Zero) you will likely see a lot of this as well.

DSC00400.jpg

I ran into a guy from Pennsylvania back in a ways, who had been hunting that same Selway country for more than 10 years. He was fit, covered lots ground, knew the area like the back of his hand, and paid his dues learning it. And he had very good success hunting there.

Maybe the good thing about the Selway and Lolo zones is that you don't have to commit to now through buying a tag. They'll still be available at the end of the season. In the mid 90's they would sell out the first day you could purchase them.

Research is part of the fun.

Here's an elky spot in the spud state that's a good example of what to look for.

View attachment 51455

It has it all....water, feed, cover, steeper than cows face, and most importantly a LONG ways from any road. I call it the Abyss.

Get in the timber and find wallows like this and your getting warmer.

View attachment 51456

Of course being so close to Corn Creek (Ground Zero) you will likely see a lot of this as well.

View attachment 51457

I ran into a guy from Pennsylvania back in a ways, who had been hunting that same Selway country for more than 10 years. He was fit, covered lots ground, knew the area like the back of his hand, and paid his dues learning it. And he had very good success hunting there.

Wow thanks for the pics. Now to find that place...HA :)

Just found this thread. I've been planning a trip to the selway zone for over a year now. I've done all the research and I know it's a tough zone to hunt, but the remoteness, low hunter density, and the chance at a trophy bull, or 5 other big game animals with a deer tag, and the opportunity to rifle hunt during the peak of the bugle season have made my mind up. I have a place in mind to hunt. But I would love to pick someone's mind who has actually been there in September to answer some of my concerns. Any info would be appreciated. I'm coming from East Texas, and my plan is to fly into Boise this August, and rent an SUV, hopefully an AWD rouge or similar. Do about 2 and a half days of scouting the area I have in mind, and one other area as a backup. Then I will be returning mid September, either driving or flying and renting an SUV as before.

I would love to hear some feedback as well, we are headed there in the first week of October this year. I'm excited, seems like an awesome place. Should be a challenging hunt, but I like the fact that Deer (WT and Muley) and Bear are both in the area as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back