Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ken Onion Works Sharp

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I also feel the need to say once you use a belt style sharpener it changes the shape of the knife edge to a convex which means if you go back to a steel or stones you're going to have to shape that back to a flat edge which eats up a lot of metal.

I can put a diamond stone in my pack, truck or whatever. I don't have a problem sharpening knives. You can keep it. Every grinder eats a blade up faster and you always run the risk of burning/ruining the blade if you don't do it right.

I can put a diamond stone in my pack, truck or whatever. I don't have a problem sharpening knives. You can keep it. Every grinder eats a blade up faster and you always run the risk of burning/ruining the blade if you don't do it right.

Sounds like you have sand in your whatever.

I just cashed in an Amazon card throught the HT link above. Anxious to give it a shot, yiu can never have to many ways to sharpen a blade.

They work nice, but a 1 or 2" belts sander with multiple grit belts is cheaper and at least you can then use it for a lot of other things besides sharpening stuff. With very little practice and a cheapo bench grinder with a paper type of buffing wheel to remove the wire edge you will get hair shaving results. Just food for thought for those who like doing a lot of DIY projects at home.

One showed up under the tree this morning and every knife in our kitchen was sharp by noon. Slick little contraption indeed.

I have used my old standard model (before the Ken Onion one) for a few years. Works fine but you lose a fine sharp point on the tip of the knife. At least I lose it. It gets rounded.

I don't have a problem sharpening knives either. I have less of one now because it takes me a LOT less time. :)

One showed up under the tree this morning and every knife in our kitchen was sharp by noon. Slick little contraption indeed.

Glad you like it :D

I laughed at the reviews where folks were talking about looking for knives to sharpen, but that's exactly what I was doing.:hump:

Does anybody else have problems with Amazon taking forever to ship stuff? I ordered my Work Sharp 5 days ago and it still hasn't shipped. I ordered a book the day before and it shipped 4 days ago but says it won't be here until the 6th. What are they using to ship stuff? The pony express? It's like they are penalizing me for using their free shipping option. I've had this happen multiple times with them. I thought about ordering Prime to get free 2-day shipping but at this point I hate to give them any more of my hard-earned money. I assume with the holidays and weekend it's just going to make it worse.

I had my tonsils out last week and can hardly talk or I'd call and ask about it.

I pre-ordered Steven Rinella's book in November that was real eased on Dec. 1. I finally called them in Dec. 9 and told them I never got it and they tracked it and decided to send me another one. I ended up getting the first one the next day and the second one they day after that. I got a message that said not to return the first book so I gave to a friend of mine that is a new aspiring hunter. He appreciated it. Everybody else I talk to loves Amazon but I just can't get the same results they do.

Last edited:
When you are ordering, are you using prime, or just amazon sellers? I've never had any problems with prime, but some of the Amazon sellers take days to "process" your order

Sounds like everybody is loving the Ken onion workshops knife sharpener. Did anybody have troubles with it scratching the sides of your knives? I purchased one and tried it on two knives and both knives came out super sharp but the sides were all scratched up. They were cheap knives as I were Practicing on using this. I even ran a 3rd knife after cleaning the guides again across the guide without the Belt moving and it did scratch the knife.
Any advice or recommendations I called work shops and they told me that it could this be the debris on the guide but I keep cleaning Them. I hear about issues with this and people Putting tape on the sides of the knife's but not sure if I want to keep doing that with every knife.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back