Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

The Old Days in Colorado

First time I hunted Colorado was 27 years ago and a lot has changed for sure.There were tons of elk and deer then where I went and deer tags were otc.I didn't see a hunter in the woods then either;only at trailheads parking areas.The amount of hunting pressure there now is incredible in comparison and I'd say that's TV and internets fault

Every time someone asks for help on a unit that unit will get crowded. I never answer those questions.

I remember when the population of Colorado was 1-2 mil. Now it is over 5. And guess what? Some governor predicted it will be over 10 by 2050. They may have more elk then, too, but they also might have more cattle down at the Monfort Feedlot. So what? Maybe they'll have powdered water they can dust on their lawns.

I remember when the population of Colorado was 1-2 mil. Now it is over 5. And guess what? Some governor predicted it will be over 10 by 2050. They may have more elk then, too, but they also might have more cattle down at the Monfort Feedlot. So what? Maybe they'll have powdered water they can dust on their lawns.

Yeah, but they all move to Denver or the Springs. The population of my town is 2200, and has been for 15 years.

Lots of elk here, and not a lot of hunters. The units around here are steep and hard to hunt. That keeps most hunters away. I love it.

If anybody thinks the good old days were anytime after 1960 you're either young, or don't know history.

In the 50's there was 3 times the number of mule deer that there is now. You could get a buck and doe tag OTC and hunt the whole state of Colorado. Deer have been declining ever since that time.

With that said. We have more elk now. Good to be an elk hunter now. Bad to be a deer hunter.

Last edited:
67 first time hunted CO. & you could get a nonresident OTC deer & elk linc. for $50.00 & usually not see another hunter for a week. Point system really sucks!

Some might say these are the good ol days in Colorado.
True, but perspective changes based on where your standing, and in 30 years we will be his age, likely singing the same song...
I'll be happy if im still vertical and able to get into the woods to hunt

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back