Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado archery elk unit 77 partner?

Kevvy711

I am thinking about trying to get a partner or partners together to go elk hunting in Colorado in 2017. I do not think I can make it in 2016 because I have a lot of plans this fall and it would be better to plan a year ahead. I was looking at unit 77 in the San Juan mountains, it is over the counter and national forest backs up to a wilderness area. I have researched this unit and so far I like it the best of what I have researched. I wouldn't mind trying some different styles of hunting and having a base camp and then doing some spike camping back in. Also like calling or sitting around feeding areas dusk and morning. Would also like to hike in quite a bit. This will be archery also. Season I believe is around a month starting August 27 or 28 I think. Anyone think anything of this or would have any comments or suggestion. I have a truck to drive out also. Thank you.

I'm looking into trying my first western hunt for 2016. I don't really have any hunting buddies up for that kind of challenge though. What is your age and where are you from?

Plenty of elk once you figure things out.. But VERY rugged steep terrain. If you have no info about the area you plan to hunt, like wallows and bedding areas... Id hunt the second half of september. This area can be a good hunt if the bulls are bugling, but can be a brutal tough experience if you go to early and the bulls are quiet. Pm me if you want.

I too may be in search of a partner in '16. Original plan was to archery hunt with my father during muzzle loader season but he is starting to get cold feet. I'm 29, live Michigan and have no experience elk hunting, i have been on a handful of diy whitetail hunt and have been successful but the mountains are calling me.

Mountains

Chris check out my thread. once you go west you will not want to come home, except for family.

Just out of curiosity, would there be enough interest from midwest guys new to elk hunting that several guys could get together for an over-the-counter or easy draw elk hunt. More guys could make it pretty cheap and guys could get their feet wet before getting into better units. I could be willing to help out and show some tips and tricks and whatnot. Just a thought.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I planned on hunting otc and buy preference points until I gain more experience. My unit choice depended solely on my dad being he wanted to muzzle loader hunt. Had a couple units picked where he had a good chance if getting drawn with the points he has but if he backs out that opens a alot more options.

Just out of curiosity, would there be enough interest from midwest guys new to elk hunting that several guys could get together for an over-the-counter or easy draw elk hunt. More guys could make it pretty cheap and guys could get their feet wet before getting into better units. I could be willing to help out and show some tips and tricks and whatnot. Just a thought.

Kenton - You've got my attention. I also sent a note to Kevvy indicating my interest. So far my only western hunting experience is a Wyoming antelope hunt this past October. I'm building up points in multiple states, but before I start cashing them in I'd like to get some OTC/General tag experience.

Unit 77 looks awesome on the map. It also looks awesome in person. Unfortunately, it is drastically underpopulated with elk and success rates are dismal. Maybe the winter range doesn't match up with the summer range. Whatever the reason, this type of habitat on private land would have many times the number of elk and deer. One can walk for miles through aspen, grass, and even clover and see no old or new sign. Having said that, it is big country and there are a very few, very large bulls on OTC public land.

Wel...

Unit 77 looks awesome on the map. It also looks awesome in person. Unfortunately, it is drastically underpopulated with elk and success rates are dismal. Maybe the winter range doesn't match up with the summer range. Whatever the reason, this type of habitat on private land would have many times the number of elk and deer. One can walk for miles through aspen, grass, and even clover and see no old or new sign. Having said that, it is big country and there are a very few, very large bulls on OTC public land.

Whatever became of this possible scenario?

Well I for one have a solo archery trip planned for Colorado this season. Haven't found anyone local that is up for that kind of trip. Have a couple units I'm looking at but still trying to narrow it down.

Back