Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New tires for the truck

nrpate05

Hey all, Randy's thread about getting a new truck has inspired me to ask everyone what kind of tires they run as I am in the market for some new rubber. I have a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 and stock tire size is P265/70/17. I have been looking at Cooper Discover S/T Maxx, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 and the Wrangler Duratrac by Goodyear. I keep going back and forth with what I want/need. I'm not super abusive on my tires but, like many of you, end up in some pretty hairy situations while hunting and fishing. I also live in Colorado and do spend a good amount of time in some nasty mountain weather, so snow performance is pretty important. I also want to bump up the ply rating and am not sure between C load range and E load range. Any insight would be awesome as well as any other tire recommendations. Thanks again

nr....,
I have used BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 in LT265/70/ 17 load range (E) for my last (2) rounds of (4) tire replacements.
These are a load range "E" and a (10) ply tire which gives you a lot of sidewall strength and overall durability
(1st) set of (4) tires lasted me 68K mi and this set is at 48K with a lot of tread left.
I have yet to get them stuck anywhere and have lowered air pressure down to 15 psi when on the beach of NC.
They are not straight up Mud Tires but they self clean pretty well coming out of a corn field.
They also don`t scream when they drive me to work. Excellent in snow and rain.

10Dogs

nr....,
Ps to my previous post, I will be plus sizing to LT 275/70/17 next year as I have 7" rim width.
You can go up to this size with 7" rim width and up to a LT285/70 / 17 if your truck has 7.5" rims.
Get a load range "E" as they last forever and seem to be a tougher tire.
As far as Coopers go....I have used them for years on our family Grand Cherokee but not in any tread that aggressive.

10Dogs

H....... I have been looking at Cooper Discover S/T Maxx, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 and the Wrangler Duratrac by Goodyear. I keep going back and forth with what I want/need. I'm not super abusive on my tires but, like many of you, end up in some pretty hairy situations while hunting and fishing. I also live in Colorado and do spend a good amount of time in some nasty mountain weather, so snow performance is pretty important. I also want to bump up the ply rating and am not sure between C load range and E load range. Any insight would be awesome as well as any other tire recommendations. Thanks again

I have been running some variety of Cooper Discoverer for the last ten years. All heavy load range (D or E). Last winter I put on a new set of A/T3 and I am very impressed with the tread design and traction, but very disappointed in the tire noise. I have had them rotated many times and thought they would get quieter, but so far no luck. It is to the point where the camera guys put their headphones on and listen to iPods during long road trips. If not for that, I would be very impressed, rather than quite impressed.

Note, I usually blow out one to two tires per year, even the 10-ply (load range E). Most often the sidewalls fail due to sharp rocks with a load of gear in the truck. This year, running those tires on some very nasty rocks, not a single failure. That part is impressive.

The Coopers are good tires. I'm very abusive on tires, not intentionally, but drive more miles on crushed gravel than on pavement. The ST Maxx is a good tire, the regular ST from Cooper maybe an option as well (if it's cheaper). My son runs the Goodyear DuraTrac on his pickup, he's in college so the miles are more highway than farm, but they seem to be holding up well, I think they are noisier than the two Cooper STs. Another tire that has held up well for the farm is the Toyo M-55. My pickup came with BFG All Terrain tires and I was pretty happy with how long they lasted, I've had original factory tires not make 5,000 miles before being ruined by our roads and driving. My opinion - get one of the Coopers.

I've been running the Cooper AT3 like Randy. I've been impressed with the smooth ride. I have diesels so I don't hear too much road noise. Mileage wise I don't get much out of any tire due to the torque of a diesel and the city driving I do. A few guys I know have switched to the Hankook Dynapro ATM and are really impressed.. My next summer set will be these just to try. They have great reviews and I feel will easily compete with the Coopers

2 sets of Toyo MT's and now BFG KM2's for me on my hunting truck. Took my daily driver which has Toyo AT 2's on it cow elk hunting. 70 degrees and dry. I was spinning out and had to go into 4 hi on several roads where I normally cruise right up in 2wd with a MT tire. We are comparing a Tacoma vs a ram 1500, but the tires were definitely the weak link in this situation. That was the last hunting trip the Ram will be taking me on with those shoes...

ive had very good luck with bfg mud t/a as they are the only ones I know of that have 3 ply sidewalls,,most d or e rated tires have only 2 ply sidewalls where you need the protection including your coopers..bfg mud t/a are not quiet though..just my recomondation.

I've run a set of cooper s/t maxx on a Ram 3500 mega cab diesel and was very impressed with them. Great traction off road and quIet/smooth on road for a fairly aggressive tread design. My only complaint with them was they lacked lateral stability when towing my fifth wheel camper.

On a half ton, I would be tempted to go with the goodyear duratrac. I think they will be hard to beat in the snow based on all the research I had done.

I just put a set of 285/75/17 10 ply on my F250. I bought N.T.B. brand of Coopers. So far I am very impressed with them.

The Cooper ST Maxx has a 3 ply sidewall. Just about wore out my first set. No complaints. Looking at the new Toyo though. mtmuley

I current jab BFGKO 2 they are by far the best tire I've ever had, great traction no road noise and they last. Wouldn't by anything else and would recommend to any body mine are 265-70-17 ten ply.

Michelin XPS Traction. They have steel belted sidewalls....no better tire on earth. The biggest issue is they don't come in all sizes.

Sheff

I wish Michelin would make a more aggressive tread tire. Their LTX MS is one of the best all around tire I have ever used.But there are times when they just don't cut it.Deep snow/ice or mud.
Some locals like the Coopers. Decent tire.
I had been using Goodyear Duratracs and they are excellent where I live and not too noisy. Guys I know & NMG&F uses them in Kevlar...almost indestructable,but pricey.

I had 2 rock breaks in 2 weeks this spring with the Duratracs,still lots of tread(Not Kevlar),so after the 2nd one I asked my local guy what he had that I had not tried,& not need a second mortgage

I am now using Kenda Klevers and have never had as good of dirt ,mud ,snow ,ice,rock,or off road tire. Almost indestructable and long wearing. Noisy,but not as bad as AT's or Toyos....
Most local ranchers and outfitters in my area of NM use them now. NOT a hwy tire for sure.

Now I know Randy goes on lots of real rough roads or whatever you want to call them..lol ,and drives long distances on hwys. Or folks live in areas like I do, which is even the pavement is rough NM.
But most folks I know only go off pavement once in a while in all reality. Maybe a few times a year.
But they drive around year round on mudders......in the city.
I think the wise thing to do is have a spare set of wheels with the off road tires sitting in the garage waiting for the trip,and drive normal tires most of the time.
IMHO,the best option for once/twice a year weekend warriors....instead of grinding knobbies on the fwy...

Last edited:
I went with cooper st maxx LT255/80R17. Might be another option to look at. Discount tire direct has great prices along with free shipping and no tax.
Good luck

Another vote for Michelin LTX M/S. Extremely quiet on the hwy, but also great off road. Agree the tread not real aggressive looking. However, I pulled a trailer around WY a few years back with significant mud and snow. Never got stuck. Never chained up. Once the factory treads wear thin on my 14 Sierra, I will be replacing with the Michelin's.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back