MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sell me a new truck

Another vote here for the Tundra TRD or TRD Pro. I am on my second Tundra. My first was a 2010 that I bought almost new, and put 100k on it. I put a spacer leveling lift on it and slightly bigger tires and it ran like a champ. The only reason I got rid of it is because it was the smaller crew cab, and I wanted more room. My current Tundra is a 2014 TRD crew max. I was looking at the Pro myself, but couldn't justify the extra $$ when I could do a similar suspension upgrade for less money, so that's what I did. If you are considering a slight lift for bumper/clearance etc, I would strongly suggest looking at the Pro. A spacer lift is good for looks, but adds stress to your suspension, and frankly just isn't fun to crawl around the roads you use. I learned that lesson the hard way with my first Tundra, and didn't make the same mistake with this one.

Attachments

• tundra1.jpg
    tundra1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 1,178
F-150 v8

I have a 2014 F-150 4x4 off road.
I have the V8 5.0 liter they get the same mileage (17-18mpg) as the Eco boost, I trust a good old standard V8 much more than I trust a tuned up V6.
Upgrades: rear locker, skid plates, leveling kit, 10 ply M-55's, ranch hand tube bumper.
The Supercrew cab is huge, and the backseat folds up flat and gives a ton of storage when not hauling people.
Did 58k miles last year, much of that on gravel and two track.
No problems so far.
In this picture it still has the stock tires on it.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,179
I recently picked up an F150 4x4 with the 3.5 Eco Boost engine. It's still early, but I am really impressed so far. It has the locking rear differential. Little things like the bed lighting and step built in to the tailgate have been pleasant surprises while hunting. I get 24mpg on back country two lane roads and around 19 in stop and go traffic. The tow rating is 11,700 if I recall correctly. It should meet all your towing and off road requirements. I do think you'd want a bit of a lift for routine off road as they have biased towards the low end for highway mpg purposes I believe.

Last edited:
Drive a Power Wagon. Make sure the rear tires are set at light load and you will probably be surprised at how well it rides for a 3/4 ton. As far as an off road truck that will tow well that's what it was built for.

Research is kind of indicating the TRD has a lot of similar options with newer technologies (and a higher price). It has a 6 speed transmission (versus 5 speed on the Titan) and a 32 gallon gas tank (a big help when you are off the grid for a week of more). I do worry about the bulkiness, but that seems to be the norm in new trucks. If I go with another Buckstop bumper, it will probably improve the approach angle.

Approach and breakover angles are super important for the places I end up, as is overall length/size. I've had to get turned around across some steep slopes that require a 12 point turnaround and there is no way I could have done it with a bigger rig. Slightly increased width just means the pain job will suffer even more in places like AZ, NM, CO, NV where the PJ and Oak brush try to discourage me from advancing further.

I am test driving a Tundra TRD Pro this afternoon. They are only making 3,600 of them for the 2016 model year, so finding one is not easy. I doubt I will buy it, but it will get me one step further along in my process.

When you are going to write a check for $40-50K, you don't want buyers remorse. To prevent the buyer's remorse, I also contacted the local Ram dealer, who is also my local Nissan dealer. Thinking I will head down to the Ford dealer this week also and see what they have for serious off-road options. Doubt any will have something that compels me to break out the check book, but Mrs. Fin is out of town this week, all my MT tags are filled, so me and the dog are looking to do something to help me heal up. Truck shopping might suffice as therapy.

You better buy that local TRD Pro before I do..

Big Fin . . . . go to your Dodge dealership and ask about a Power Wagon.

For a small and maneuverable truck, the new Colorado/Canyon trucks look interesting. Me, if I was going to drop up to 50k for a truck, I'd buy a stripper model and add what I needed to suit. Get what you want and not a lot of crap you don't need. mtmuley

I have a 2010 standard Tundra that is the best truck that I have ever had. It has had zero problems and has gone through whatever I needed it to. I would never consider a Dodge or Chevy, as they took bail-out money. They do not compare in quality anyway.

One complaint on my Tundra. No chains up front. Other than that, it does what it should. I have the base version.

I'd also look at the Power Wagon. It's has the offroad features of a Rubicon.

Last edited:
Oh yeah....one point to add having lived in Italy for four years. When FIAT(fix it again Tony is NO joke...straight crap) is your savior you are in a world of hurt. NOTHING that Chrysler touches will ever get my money again (had a PT Cruiser until it self destructed at 70K). For context my dad was a Chrysler body man for 45 years and when I told him I had bought a Chrysler product he lectured me for half an hour about ever buying anything made by UAW shops....man was he right. :/ Sorry, but to put that in there. Having driven Dodge trucks as pool vehicles in the Army and knowing some guys that have bought them it really seems that they have a lot of "great ideas" but execution is always crappy and the "special features" seems to self destruct. Just my 2 cents.

Great thread. I like seeing what everyone else is using and how they compare. I'll be replacing my fru fru truck (as one farmer called it) before too long. chev avalanche. Love the comfortable seats for the long drives and the 'saddle bag boxes' in the rear panels. They hold an amazing amount of stuff. But am looking for better gas mileage than my 16-17 hwy at 75-80 mph. Dont care for the plastic. Front transfer case makes some noise but had it checked out along with the transmission and they tell me it's ok. have been high centered a couple of times in the logging trails but spend a lot more time on the highway getting to the hunting areas I like so I'll put up with that tradeoff. No probs to speak of cept the rear brake calipers seizing and replaced.
Does Toyota or Nissan have the 'saddle bag boxes' option in teh rear quarter panels?

I like my Dodge? Incredible tight turn radius for the size (1500). I've a diehard Chevy fan who dislikes driving my Dodge. He claims it drives like a Cadillac not a truck... I took it as a compliment.

If I had the "bling" to buy - I would have a hard time passing up on a Tundra TRD... Hard to part from my Hemi... It will rest as the "old truck" at my home. Until then, I'll suck up the gas.

Big Fin, I don't know your exact age but I think we are close (let's just say near 50). I am a fan of the F150 Platinum model and have owned two over the last six years. I put a two inch level on the front to improve the clearance and looks. Instant awesome rolling office and hunting companion.

The Platinum has every amenity you would ever want plus a couple of more (think A/C for your butt). The truck rides great, looks great, has interior guages that are easy to use. I am in old school and prefer dials versus buttons.

Once leveled you can run tires up to 33". Those big boys are beyond my desire but considering the mess you drive in you might find the necessary. Anyhow, check one out.

Truthfully it sounds like you need two separate vehicles. One heavy truck for towing and one for passengers and hunting trips. Often you can find good heavy duty trucks pretty cheap especially with a gas engine. Guys will pull horse trailers once a week with them and get rid of them after a few years. Resale isn't as good as a diesel. Then you can better pick a vehicle for backcountry hunts that has a little better mileage. Just a thought and it may not cost much more money than your budget.

Truthfully it sounds like you need two separate vehicles. One heavy truck for towing and one for passengers and hunting trips. Often you can find good heavy duty trucks pretty cheap especially with a gas engine. Guys will pull horse trailers once a week with them and get rid of them after a few years. Resale isn't as good as a diesel. Then you can better pick a vehicle for backcountry hunts that has a little better mileage. Just a thought and it may not cost much more money than your budget.

That's why I picked up my '01 F150 offroad 4x4 Lariat w/63K for less than my old Tacoma is worth. Now I have a go anywhere, anytime rig(Tacoma) & a leatherseated towing luxury liner.....The F-150 is a very comfortable ride.

I'll be the voice of reason. I have a few people in my life that keep telling me I need a new truck. I am currently driving a 1997 truck with low miles that I paid cash for and fits all of my needs perfectly. It sounds like you are in a similar situation. skip the truck payment and stick with what is working for you and retire a year or two earlier.

Anything with 20" wheels and low(ER) profile tires will blow on washboard roads. Look forward to seeing what you pick. I have a 14' Sierra. I think it's a bit if a city truck. My guess is the Tundra will be the best of all worlds. Although keep in mind they needed a bigger gas tank for a reason. I pulled a trailer with wheelers to WY with a Seqioua a couple years ago. I literally could watch the gas gauge decrease by the mile. Got about 8mpg and 180-200 miles per tank going out. Super annoying.

Every truck has pro/con which is why I get the itch to try something different every few years. Makes no sense financial I guess it's a guilty pleasure

I had a 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior. Got a new 2015 TRD double cab loaded for under $36000 out the door at Hatch Toyota in Show Low, AZ. The new trucks have a 38 gallon tank option. I had a level lift done for $400. Came with the underseat tool box and fancy wheels. I like the Pro model but the regular TRD is good for me. I think they are a great value relative to the F150 and they run like a molested monkey. My buddy just got the new 2016 Tacoma and he paid as much as I did for the Tundra. Crazy times for trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back