Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sell me a new truck

Traded the last dodge I will ever own in on a Toyota 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. If I needed the towing capacity mentioned I would buy a Tundra. Pricey yes but they actually still have value when your done with them as opposed to American made trucks.

Nissan sounds like it's treated you well though and that's hard to walk away from.

Last edited:
Seems you'very really liked your Titan and sure seems like you give them some nice advertising on this forum and on Fresh Tracks. Seems like Toyota should be sponsoring you with a new truck every year or so

IMO you dance with the girl that you brought to the ball unless she can't dance, sounds like yours can dance so I'd stick with her. I've always been a ford man but stick with what works for you.

Randy -

I have been very happy with my Toyota Tundra and here are a few bullets as to why.

- Cab Space | Very large cab with the Crew Max version. Comfortable for 4 adults and or a boat load of gear or lab.

- Reliability | I just turned 143k and I've never had a single issue with this truck or my previous Tacoma

- Great in bad weather conditions | I don't have a lift or anything crazy, just some really solid AT Bridgestone tires. This truck will go anywhere I have taken it and probably outperforms my capabilities.

- Comfort | Some trucks fit you and some don't. For long drives in sometimes crappy conditions I appreciate they way a grown man can fit in this vehicle.

There are a ton of nice new styles of trucks now, but the Tundra offers everything I need. I'm in the process of upgrading my '07 to a newer '15 as we speak.

Here on the farm we run most of them, except the Nissan (no reason, just haven't had any), I think it comes down to personal preferences. Lately we've been running more Fords, the cab on the Ford is very roomy. I've used a Raptor for work for a few years now and really like the truck, but mileage isn't anything to brag about. Haven't had the newest body style Ford models on the farm long enough to have an opinion up or down over the 2014. I also like the Silverado, but would suggest a little lift or at least pull the lowest plastic below the front bumper off to start with, if we don't remove it intentionally we end up tearing it off accidentally anyway. For me, currently I'm a Ford fan.

I would buy a dodge power wagon! While it is rated at 3/4 ton the suspension is lighter on the power wagon than a non power wagon. The 6.4 hemi engine gets better mileage than I would have thought at 14-15 highway and 12 towing. I prefer a heavy duty axle components as well as brakes. I would have one but for my personal wants required a diesel and long bed. If I was looking for ride comfort, 4x4 capability, towing ability, and overall look- I would have a power wagon!

My family owns a Ford and a Nissan dealership, and has since 1943. We get great deals on both brands of trucks, and there's not a single Nissan in any of our garages. If you like your Nissan, you'll love the Ford, and I have reason to be biased towards each of them.

Honestly, I'd get an F-150 FX4 Off-Road with the bigger EcoBoost (before you get scared by the V6, go watch the towing videos on YouTube where they pit it against the V8 Chevy and Dodge, you'll see ;-) ).

The Employee Pricing For Everybody Sale going right now will save you almost $10k on some 4x4 models.

Good luck in your search.

I saw a Ford eco-boost V-6 in my friend's shop needing both turbos replaced. He was just at 75,000 mi. and I think he ended up paying for the bill. It was substantial.
About the only thing I can suggest is a Toyota Tundra. I have one with an 8 ft. bed.
You can get it with a mega-cab but only with a 6 ft. bed. No problems with mine.

I don't know if it has already been mentioned because I started skimming the other posts. I know you already said you wanted a half ton not a 3/4 but the one thing to think of also is a one tone is often the same price without frills and all the gadgets. The biggest difference I have seen is braking. A one ton genereally has bigger rotors which don't heat up as fast and have more breaking force. Mine is a Z71 silverado and has all of the formentioned attributes. It gets around 15mpg highway and 10 to 12 with a trailer. It has the 6.0 gas. I personally don't feel that it rides to rough. It has excellent clearance and has gotten me places I would normally not venture. I know what you said but you may want to give a heavier truck a second look or a test drive, they may surprise you.

I know compared to your trucks i have a piddly little Toyota Hilux truck, but it has been so reliable and i have never got stuck once, when it dies i will get another one, or if they were sold over here the Tundra, but then i probably couldn't afford to run it at $8/gallon.

Richard

There are a lot of Tacoma guys (myself included) that would love to see more Hilux features on the Toyotas in the US. Its pretty hard to call the Hilux piddly after what Top gear did to them. I was pretty excited when I rented a diesel Hilux in Thailand a few years back to have the low end torque.

Randy, All things considered the Tundra TRD is probably the closest option to the Titan as a potential replacement.

Randy, All things considered the Tundra TRD is probably the closest option to the Titan as a potential replacement.

Research is kind of indicating the TRD has a lot of similar options with newer technologies (and a higher price). It has a 6 speed transmission (versus 5 speed on the Titan) and a 32 gallon gas tank (a big help when you are off the grid for a week of more). I do worry about the bulkiness, but that seems to be the norm in new trucks. If I go with another Buckstop bumper, it will probably improve the approach angle.

Approach and breakover angles are super important for the places I end up, as is overall length/size. I've had to get turned around across some steep slopes that require a 12 point turnaround and there is no way I could have done it with a bigger rig. Slightly increased width just means the pain job will suffer even more in places like AZ, NM, CO, NV where the PJ and Oak brush try to discourage me from advancing further.

I am test driving a Tundra TRD Pro this afternoon. They are only making 3,600 of them for the 2016 model year, so finding one is not easy. I doubt I will buy it, but it will get me one step further along in my process.

When you are going to write a check for $40-50K, you don't want buyers remorse. To prevent the buyer's remorse, I also contacted the local Ram dealer, who is also my local Nissan dealer. Thinking I will head down to the Ford dealer this week also and see what they have for serious off-road options. Doubt any will have something that compels me to break out the check book, but Mrs. Fin is out of town this week, all my MT tags are filled, so me and the dog are looking to do something to help me heal up. Truck shopping might suffice as therapy.

I would rule out the raptor based on my experience. A friend of mine has one and it doesnt tow as much as a regular F150 and gets terrible gas mileage. His is an older model so it has the big gas engine...6.0?

I am also looking at a new truck right now and I am leaning towards the F150 with the 5.0. I think with a leveling kit it should give you a little more approach clearance without lifting the truck.

When I was truck shopping I look at the Tundra. I liked the truck. HOWEVER, when I sat in the drivers seat and the passenger seat, my head just about touched the roof. I had a cap on and had to take it off because it rubbed the roof.

Randy, I know you are tall also, so I would check this out.

I will toss my couple pennies into the pot.

In the past I have had an 2008 F350 King Ranch with the 6.4. It towed great, it had room. It was big and bulky, I would avoid all F250/350 vehicles, their rear cab is super small.

I traded that F350 in for a 2013 F150 Crew Cab FX4 with the EcoBoost. It towed the same 11k lb camper in the same areas and got better mileage. I would constantly tow it loaded down in the 9klb range through the mountains of Utah and get 12-14 mpg. It also had some great features I think you would like, like tons of outlets for power and even a 110 v converter built in. Plus the rear had a selectable locker, and the largest rear cab I've ever owned. I am 6 foot tall and I sat in the back with the front seat all the way back and had room still.

I currently have a 2015 GMC 3500. I wanted a bit more power so I went diesel. the ride is about the same but I do miss that F150. I also still have a ton of power/charging outlets and dvd player that accepts SD cards so you can watch a movie, or review film! In this configuration I get 20 ish at 75 mph on the interstate, 14 in town. If I do my best I can get 700 miles to a tank and I usually do speed limits to 5 over.

My father in law had a crew max tundra and the rear seating is huge! Horrible fuel mileage if you exceed 70 mph....

If space is your top priority, then the Tundra will have it, then Ford F150. If MPG and off road are higher then I think the F150 FX4 will be the ticket, then the TRD. The Power Wagon as suggested is a very versatile and covers a lot, but Dodge/Ram has never been known as fuel friendly.

I saw a Ford eco-boost V-6 in my friend's shop needing both turbos replaced. He was just at 75,000 mi. and I think he ended up paying for the bill. It was substantial.
About the only thing I can suggest is a Toyota Tundra. I have one with an 8 ft. bed.
You can get it with a mega-cab but only with a 6 ft. bed. No problems with mine.

Which year? I ask because a new motor is always scary for a year or two.

Our dealership has not yet replaced a single EcoBoost motor or turbo. There's always a bad one here or there (with every brand), but of the thousands of trucks we see, we've not yet seen a bad EcoBoost. That's about as good a track record you could ask for.

I've owned three fords and all were disappointing, too many issues needing repair. I've owned a dodge 3/4 ton and will never own another dodge in my life. Dodge rides way too tough for me, gas mileage was horrible at around 9 mpg and the door seals were poor.

I've since owned a Titan just as you and have about 150k miles on it and the only issue I've had is a four wheel drive sensor not letting 4wd activate. Otherwise it's been solid and I use it similar as you (maybe not quite as hard).

I've been researching new trucks as well being mine is getting up there and I will probably get a Tundra next. Their reputation for longevity is unbeatable and the performance and ride is similar to a car or SUV. They are a bit pricey but over the long haul, probably worth it. I'd be curious what the new titan brings as well though. I really don't have any issues with Nissan. My wife has an altima with close to 200k on it and it still runs like a top.

F150 Ecoboost

For what you are looking for I would recommend the F150 crew cab with the ecoboost. We started running F150's with the ecoboost at the mine about two years ago. They are working out very well. Some minor issues but nothing of much substance. A mine environment is tough abuse. Tougher than anything you are going to put your personal vehicle through in the long term. I have the crew cab and it is huge in the back seat. Plenty of power. We use to run 3/4 tons and 1 tons but have moved to all 1/2 tons except for welding and mechanics trucks. Our newer trucks have the aluminum body and they are working out just fine but they are new. My brother works at the mine in Nevada that was the test site for the aluminum bodies and he has only positives to say about them. The selectable locking diff is nice and useful. We will run our trucks in 4WD about half the time. I get 18 mpg in my F150 crew cab but the majority of my time is on the hwy. They are low so I would be looking at a leveling kit if I were you. If I was in the market for a new 1/2 ton I would look at the F150.

I just bought a 16 TRD-Off road Tacoma. Fun little truck but definitely not powerful enough to tow your big trailer and the backseat is cramped for the average person. For 2 guys and gear it would be great as it has locking diff, great approach angle, and a host of multi-terrain traction controls. Mine has a sunroof for a turrett mounted 50cal. Problem is the fuel mileage. Hiway speeds are maybe 16mpg but at 45mph mileage climbs to 20.

In all honestly, I've always been a Chevy/GMC guy and for the average dude they are more than capable but I find their trucks are a touch too short for really trail use. I think Ford has a solid rig with plenty of power...I would consider a '17 Raptor. The Tundra TRD-Pro would be a solid runner but their EPA mileage is terrible and they tend to be gigantic trucks. Had I had an extra $10K I probably would have bought a Tundra.
We have a couple Dodge trucks in our fleet and they are all junk. Something is always wrong with our Dodge rigs (ABS, transmission, 4x4, endless error codes) and I hear the new ones have the same issues.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back