PEAX Equipment

Sell me a new truck

Sounds like the Titans have worked outstanding for you so far. Why would you buy something else?

Not sure if I will, but given that truck design is now 12 model years old it just seems like there might be something newer that is even better. And I agree with you, right now, a 2012-2015 Titan is the leader in my choices.

My family owns a Ford and a Nissan dealership, and has since 1943. We get great deals on both brands of trucks, and there's not a single Nissan in any of our garages. If you like your Nissan, you'll love the Ford, and I have reason to be biased towards each of them.

Honestly, I'd get an F-150 FX4 Off-Road with the bigger EcoBoost (before you get scared by the V6, go watch the towing videos on YouTube where they pit it against the V8 Chevy and Dodge, you'll see ;-) ).

The Employee Pricing For Everybody Sale going right now will save you almost $10k on some 4x4 models.

Good luck in your search.

Randy,
Just from pure curiosity, because I know I've seen it in other videos or episodes, how long has that windshield been broken?

Not sure if I will, but given that truck design is now 12 model years old it just seems like there might be something newer that is even better. And I agree with you, right now, a 2012-2015 Titan is the leader in my choices.

I think you're leaving elk to find other elk.

The new 1/2 Ton Dodge Ram with the V-6 diesel is what I would buy if I wanted to sign up for payments again. I know someone that has one and they love it. It's rated to have the same torque and HP as my '01 2500 Ram Cummins! The mileage is awesome. She's getting 22 mpg in town and I think 28 on the highway, and she says it's getting better as she goes. I think it has locking front and rear diffs, but not positive. That's what I would get if I didn't have two 2500's free and clear.

A different way of looking at it......if you know you are putting a topper on the back isn't that now a full size SUV? I suppose models such as Suburban, Denali, Armada all come with heavy duty transmission/tow packages? This would fit sure fit your seating and safe storage of gear, it just won't LOOK like a "hunting rig"

Last edited:
The f150 gets my vote, has a locking diff, extended 36 fuel tank, true 6.5 ft box with a very comfy crew cab and a very powerful engine I myself also think about going with the 3/4 ton, awesome for towing but they are awful heavy and a pain in the ass to get out when stuck.

Randy,
Just from pure curiosity, because I know I've seen it in other videos or episodes, how long has that windshield been broken?

Since 2011. In Montana, they don't "sand" the roads in winter, rather they "gravel" them. And, in MT, large trucks are not required to cover their loads, so you can count on about one broken windshield each year. That is how this one happened, about two months after the prior glass was replaced. After a while, you get tired of replacing them.

Another thought. Bigger rims and low pro tires are bad off pavement. They don't absorb washboards or bumps and can't seem to find traction. Unfortunately it's getting harder to find trucks with rims smaller than 18" and you cannot simply put smaller aftermarket rims due to brake clearance issues. A little research may be required.

Also I would agree that for a turn key vehicle a power wagan is far ahead of any other truck in off-road ability but its a 3/4 ton and quite the gas hog. Not really what you were asking about.

My current hunting truck and daily driver. 1997 Dodge Ram, 3 inch lift, 285/75/16 BFG mudders, Auburn Gear torque sensing rear diff, 4.10 gear ratio and 246,000 + miles. Still original engine and trans. Still tows my 25 ft.travel trailer but I can tell it's getting tired.
Chains for all four tires when needed.
It's will be tough to find a ready made truck with all your requirements already in place. It might require some aftermarkets add-ons.
Good luck in your search Big Fin.http://onyourownadventures.com/hunt...ent.php?attachmentid=50865&stc=1&d=1448234438

Attachments

• DSCN0357_opt.jpg
    DSCN0357_opt.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,359
  • DSCN0365_opt.jpg
    DSCN0365_opt.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,313
After another season of abuse, the fifth season of destruction on this current truck, I am thinking about giving the Titan a proper retirement ceremony. Without a single repair issue, this Titan has logged 120K of America's worst miles. It is almost always loaded to the gills and/or towing a cargo trailer or boat. The roads, most often trails, it has traveled are places I often get asked, "How did you get that in here?"

Since Nissan is launching a completely new Titan for 2016, a part of me is thinking I will wait and find a left over 2015 Titan at a screaming deal as dealers try to get rid of the old models. I have had four of the current model Titans and I have not had a single mechanical issue on any of them. They have worked remarkably well for what I need, even if they are a bit dated from a performance and technology standpoint. And, the mileage is not nearly what other trucks advertise, though I suspect my applications would result in much lower mileage than those other models advertise.

So, in addition to the option of a 2015 Titan, I am researching trucks that will do the following:

• Hold four guys, comfortably. The larger the back cab, the better.
  • Tow a 20' boat and trailer without redlining it to get the torque needed for heavy towing duty. Probably eliminates any V-6 options.
  • Go offroad in places many people might hesitate to take their side-by-side and do so without leaving body parts strewn along the way.
  • Not feel like it is ready to fall apart after 40K miles; rather a track record of performing after 100K of off-road miles. My two trucks prior to Titans felt loose and sloppy by about 50K miles.
  • Spend its time on the road/trails and not in the shop. Another problem with the two trucks I had prior to Titans.
  • Have plenty of clearance with no lift kit or maybe up to a 2" lift kit to accommodate my bumper/winch.
  • Skid plates front and over the gas tank. Looking under my current truck, if not for skid plates, I would have replaced a lot of parts, including multiple gas tanks.

I know when asking for all of those attributes, mileage will suffer. I currently get about 15-16 mpg in my Titan when not towing. When towing, it drops to 11-12 mpg. Just hard to keep the mileage high when you get rid of all that pretty molding that is designed for highway mileage; molding that becomes a disposable ornament in many places my truck ends up traveling. Trust me, my paint jobs are usually toast after 10K miles. Just part of the places we end up going.

If anyone has some hands on experience of a truck they are impressed with that is a true off-road animal, without a bunch of customized modifications, I would be interested in your experience. Please don't turn this into a "Chevy v. Ford v. Ram ......." thread. I don't care what brand, I just need a truck that can take a beating of the highest degree and keep running without a full-time mechanic on staff.

FWIW, I have been researching the new Ram Rebel, the new Titan, the Toyota Tundra TRD Pro, and the Ford Raptor (though it seems they are out of production at this time and seems very expensive for what you get). Cannot find a Chevy that I think would suffice, but maybe I am not looking in the right place.

Thinking I will buy this before hitting the road next season, so no big hurry. But, would like to do as much research as possible before writing a check for the amount that these trucks now cost.

Like you, I'm thinking hard about replacing my 2005 Titan. Unlike you, I've had problems, and it's stranded me on a very cold morning when the 4x4 went out in the Crazy's. But I still consider it a good truck at 150,000 miles, the 5.6 motor is amazing, and it's gone some great places.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the local nissan stealeship, so that rules out another one.

So I'm looking at the Tundra TRD Pro crew max, which would also serve as my mid life crisis car.. Solid rig, the 5.7 is a great motor. The truck drives great,,

Or the Chevrolet 2500 HD LTZ gasser short bed. We flog the hell out of the 6.0 motor on our work rigs, and I'm impressed by it. Short bed because long beds suck off road..

Not sure why not GM products,. I've had a 2005 Duramax quad cab 238000 out pulling my other buddies dodges and fords with comparable boats! Now I drive a 2014 GMC hd Duramax Denali . My trip to northern BC avg. 20mph. I also don't have a light right foot. It just turned 55000 in a year and a half. So as you read it doesn't sit on the street long. My thoughts

Since 2011. In Montana, they don't "sand" the roads in winter, rather they "gravel" them. And, in MT, large trucks are not required to cover their loads, so you can count on about one broken windshield each year. That is how this one happened, about two months after the prior glass was replaced. After a while, you get tired of replacing them.

I've always laughed about saying they "sand" the road when it looks like 3/4" rock to me..

Just to stir the fire....I got an email from the Nissan dealer inviting me to drive the diesel today :) But I know it is too much $$$$ for me :/

Just to stir the fire....I got an email from the Nissan dealer inviting me to drive the diesel today :) But I know it is too much $$$$ for me :/

Might be too much weight for me.. Until I see the specs, I'm still a firm believer that oil burners suck when off the black top.

I am not a truck guru at all, but, my bro-in-law just got a new Dodge. Can't even say what model it is, and I gave him hell about it cuz we have both been GM guys for years. Anyway, the coolest feature is push button height adjustments. It sits low to get in, (and load deer and gear) , it raises a notch for hwy driving, it raises another notch for hunting or whatever and raises a 4th notch I believe for true offroad stuff. If you reach over 30 or 35 mph in the tallest mode it will drop down to the next lowest position. Pretty slick, but he hasn't beat it up yet either.

It's fun looking for a new truck but the sticker shock is scary. My next truck will be a gas engine instead of the diesel. Diesels are expensive to buy and the new ones use have to add a special fluid and should use additives. They get good mileage but they are expensive to repair. One thing I noticed is a lot of the trucks now a days are iffy when it comes to chaining up. There are clearance issues. I've never owned a Dodge but would consider one for off road. I had a 1996 3/4 ton Chevy. It was a great truck but the frame hung low and it would high center on the frame. I have had a number of Fords my current is a f-350 four door long box with the diesel. 18 inch tires makes for no room for chains. It does haul my 28 1/2 foot fifth wheel with ease but it's a bugger to turn around on a logging road. You learn how to back up real well. I would look for a 3/4 ton short box 4 door. Gas engine and wheel well clearance for chains. The power wagon sounds interesting.
And that's my $.02 worth.
Good Luck
Dan

Id probably look for a 2015 Titan deal. The frontiers and Titans are almost indescribable. After the wife totaled my Titan I got a great deal on a tundra. The jury is still out but so far so good. Only bad thing is the tiny gas tank, that is a must replace item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back