Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sell me a new truck

I've got a question. This is my first dodge '12 ram 1500. Do all newer vehicles come with this crap ass traction control. That has gotten me closer to being stuck than I ever could do on my own

I've got a question. This is my first dodge '12 ram 1500. Do all newer vehicles come with this crap ass traction control. That has gotten me closer to being stuck than I ever could do on my own

Most do...standard transmission trucks seem to not have it though. I try to remind myself to push the little button to make it stop because it'll get you real stuck in a hurry

The new 1/2 Ton Dodge Ram with the V-6 diesel is what I would buy if I wanted to sign up for payments again. I know someone that has one and they love it. It's rated to have the same torque and HP as my '01 2500 Ram Cummins! The mileage is awesome. She's getting 22 mpg in town and I think 28 on the highway, and she says it's getting better as she goes. I think it has locking front and rear diffs, but not positive. That's what I would get if I didn't have two 2500's free and clear.

My brother has one of these and LOVES it. Tows great, awesome mileage, I'd probably recommend it too. He did a TON of research prior to picking it (previously was a Chevy guy).

Randy, what did you end up deciding? How did you like the non-XD new Titan? I'm assuming that the tow requirements negated the smaller proportioned, more nimble, Tacoma and Frontier despite their better off road prowess.

I will second the "Ram 1500 Ecodiesel"!!! I had mentioned getting a diesel to BigFin awhile back... While doing more and more research, i was turned on to the ecodiesel. After driving it numerous times, i finally decided to pull the trigger. I own a trucking business and the only excuse i could come up with to buy another one was to "buy it for my wife"... I love it. Pulls like a champ, lots of room, and rides great. One down fall is the rear suspension, i will be getting some airbags for it. Mileage is awesome and did i mention the pulling power...great truck. Ill be putting it through the ringer this fall.

Randy, what did you end up deciding? How did you like the non-XD new Titan? I'm assuming that the tow requirements negated the smaller proportioned, more nimble, Tacoma and Frontier despite their better off road prowess.

Still no purchase yet. Haven't found one that is enough of an upgrade to my current model Titan that is worth the cost to acquire. Still looking and comparing. I am waiting for the new Titan half-ton gas model to come out in July. If not impressed with that, I will either keep driving this one or buy an older model Titan that some dealer is trying to get rid of at a screaming price.

Randy,
You won't find more room than a Toyota Tundra crewmax. Trd off road comes with skid plates for engine tranny and gas tank.
Does not have locking rear differential but a non-mechanical limited slip that uses the breaks to transfer power to the wheels with traction. So it won't go out unless you loose breaks or the controller electronics go out. This feature has worked well for me in my Tacoma and Toyota has an excellent track record for dependability.
Another con is no front chains unless you put on wheel spacers to clear the upper control arms. With that said it is only about $200 to install spacers.
Also 2-3" lift kits are available for reasonable prices.
Here is something you might like for your new topper I have one and it is great the only bad thing is you loose a bit of cargo height.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rdb00hJIfVE

Why not just keep the truck you have? It seems to have a proven track record, you know the service history and it's more than likely paid for and equipped with character marks from several seasons of work.
I have an '06 Toyota Tundra double cab with 216k miles. Fluids, filters, belts, hoses, brakes, tires, wipers...that's it. From the track record you describe with your Titan(s)I see no reason your current truck couldn't deliver another 100k reliably.
As 'fun' as it is to get a new rig, the money they bring is beyond crazy for a pick up truck that's going to be used the way we use our vehicles.

Why not just keep the truck you have? It seems to have a proven track record, you know the service history and it's more than likely paid for and equipped with character marks from several seasons of work.
I have an '06 Toyota Tundra double cab with 216k miles. Fluids, filters, belts, hoses, brakes, tires, wipers...that's it. From the track record you describe with your Titan(s)I see no reason your current truck couldn't deliver another 100k reliably.
As 'fun' as it is to get a new rig, the money they bring is beyond crazy for a pick up truck that's going to be used the way we use our vehicles.

That is where I am at right now, pending more research.

For me, the risk of a mechanical issue comes with a lot more cost than just the repairs. Each episode costs us about $20,000 to produce from start to finish. For me to lose an episode due to a mechanical break down would be financially very expensive. My search for a new truck is to help lower the likelihood that any high mileage truck, especially considering the abuse this truck has taken, of a lost episode due to mechanical breakdown.

Once I lock in camera guys, pay for film permits, apply for tags, block out dates, those are sunk costs that I do not get back even if we try to replace the lost episode later on. This is about finding ways to lower the likelihood of that happening and do so with the truck that is most functional for the demands unique to our activities.

That's the position I was in recently. I had found a couple of trucks that I really liked that were going to put me into payments again. Yes, they'd have a warranty, but with as much as I drive I'd get maybe 6-9 months out of a 3/36,000 warranty. So, after long talks with my wife we decided to stick with what I have. I've put 125K miles on it and kept up on maintenance and it's almost paid off. It would be cheaper to put a reman engine and rebuild the tranny while they've got everything apart, than to get into a whole new couple years of payments for traucks that, quite frankly, I think are rather ugly.

Fin, does your car insurance cover rental vehicles for breakdowns? I have roadside assistance through my car insurance that does that. Perhaps if you broke down somewhere, you could get a rental truck and get out to hunting and only be a day or two behind schedule, but still get some hunting and filming time in. It only takes a couple of days to swap a motor or transmission and it's a whole lot less of an investment than getting into a new vehicle payment. The only advantage I could see in buying a new vehicle is the tax write off as a business expense...but, you're just going to rack up the miles and abuse the new vehicle, so the warranty isn't going to last that long for you anyway.

Perhaps some food for thought....?

My search for a new truck is to help lower the likelihood ..., of a lost episode due to mechanical breakdown.

Does anyone have a line on predictive maintenance for a Nissan similar to what would be used on a compressor or gas turbine in an industrial plant? Analyzing used ATF for example, to detect metal particles. That might be a whole lot more cost effective than a new truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back