Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hog Rifle

I've taken hogs with a 44 mag M94 and my husband regularly uses his Rossi 454 casull Lever action. We also shoot 300 wsm's. If you can afford an illuminated recticle go for it. An LED flashlight good out to 150 yds comes in very handy.

Built two 300 blackouts and a .223 for hog hunting this spring. My boys used the 300 blackout and I used the .223.

The 300 blackout with Barnes blacktips did the job well. I kind of wished I would have given the 6.8 SPC a shot. I think it just has a little bit more going.

More than one hog we have harvested had 22 cal. bullets embedded in the skull, jawbone and shoulder, shield, without penetrating a vital area. Just my opinion but 243 and larger would be best. Good shot placement is key. They are tanks.

Lake texoma hogs

Hogs in Texas, especially along the Oklahoma and Texas border can grow upwards 550 plus pounds. Conduct some research to verify. Envision a small Rhino. You will need to bring enough gun along for hunting in that area. When I lived and hunted that area I never carried less than a Tikka boar hunter chambered in 338 Win mag. I felt that was insufficient most of the time. Therfore, my go to gun was a Browning model 1886 chambered in 45-70 stoked with 350 A-Frames. Arguably, the finest lever action rifle ever produced.

I use a 300BO for pigs and my brother uses a DB10 in 308, hogs are really not hard to kill if you know where to put the bullet. If it's a shoulder shot on a big hog then yes a big fast bullet is preferable but most people around here aim behind the ear and knock out the brain stem. That area is really soft so even 22lr will do the job on any size pig if you got the stones or skill to get close enough.

Back