Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hog Rifle

Rooster52

What would be more suited for a Texas hog hunt this winter? H/R Handi Rifle in 280 Remington or Ruger 44Magnum carbine?

Take them both. You might get there and find the 44 Mag doesn't have the range you need.

Can't agree more. Not knowing exactly how your hunting I would take both. If I had to pick one however take the .280 so you would be fine at distance and not that handicapped if its close. The .44 would be great if you were using dogs or in tight quarters. Npaden is righr shot placement is important especially on meat hogs. Not sure if this is just for a trophy or to fill the freezer. In my opinion a trophy hog stinks, literally. Good luck! It will be fun for sure.

Never would I trade off my Ruger 44 mag . It is my Black bear over bait rifle.

I'd take what ever you would take for a deer hunt. In my one experience in TX for hogs, a 44 would not have had the reach for most of what we shot. I'd also lean towards a repeater over the single shot, especially if there's not limit on the number you can shoot. My first evening I shot 3 times and killed 5 pigs.

I've shot 'em with my 7mm/08 and my 44 Mag. They both worked just fine, Thank You ! I'd think that a 150 AB would do well enough in your 280, and a 240 JSP for the 44.

Within the range restrictions of the 44, it WILL serve you well.

But, I'd still take both.

I have a couple of the Ruger Deerfield Carbines ( semi auto) and they are great little guns with plenty of power. . .I wouldn't be afraid to take the .44, having said that, I used a .223 when I hog hunted. Agree with shot placement as always. . .good luck.

Been looking at the VX-R HOG (30mm)....would go nicely on a Browning BAR

Last edited:
Like pointer almost said, shoot something that will go through hog 1 and kill hog 2 and maybe even hog 3.

Line them up and get 2 or 3 per bullet.

I've shot 2 hogs with one shot several times in Texas...did the same on axis and sika deer as well.

If I was in your shoes, I might try and get my hands on one of these, but just because I have always wanted one.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895G.asp

I have the 1895SBL with the ghost sights...it shoulders quick and is pretty dang accurate. Consider a scout scope as an option but within 100 yards the peep is still pretty good. Flinging a hard cast lead bullet should get you through a couple hogs if lined up properly

....this would also work very well. . . .( .458 SOCOM):D

Attachments

• 20140921_192705.jpeg
    20140921_192705.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 710
  • 20140916_134522.jpeg
    20140916_134522.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 735
in NZ the 44mag would be the more popular choice, with shortest legal barrel and preferable lever action, for charging through the scrub to the bail, shoot the pig if the dogs have bailed it and stick it if the dogs are holding it. but I can see the .280 being more than appropriate if ya picking them off from across the gully or something similar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back