New dog journey...

Had a call on Sunday from the Breeder. He had a few questions for me on type of hunting, training experience, size of dog I preferred, etc. Said he's hoping to decide whom is getting which pup sometime this week. Here the whole crew was on Thanksgiving.

Yesterday, he got a hold of some quail to start getting the pups excited about them. Them being "birdy" doesn't seem to be too much of a problem! :D

'Not a dog-person, but I sure do love this thread. Those are great photos. Hopefully you will keep them coming, especially during training, hunting, and success afield. Good looking dogs.

Thanks guys! Got a text from the breeder last night, "red" is coming to Indiana! I'm guessing the way this happened is not surprising to folks who've been in the gun dog business, but with this breed/breeder/association the pups are largely placed and not picked by the buyer. Bit of a different experience.

"At home" pics will start 12/20...

Good luck with the pup! Had labs as waterfowl dogs all my life, my dad trained em, but just got my first lab this spring and it's a great time! He gets some amped when I pull out the dufflebag with all his training gear and when he finally gets a concept it's so satisfying!

Best of all to watch em grow! this is 8 weeks vs 16 weeks. My mom gave me this idea to take the exact same photo of him every month. It's sweet to watch em as a slide show.

IMG_6417_zpsag9qyxed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Do you have a program you're going to be following?

Good luck with the pup! Had labs as waterfowl dogs all my life, my dad trained em, but just got my first lab this spring and it's a great time! He gets some amped when I pull out the dufflebag with all his training gear and when he finally gets a concept it's so satisfying!

Best of all to watch em grow! this is 8 weeks vs 16 weeks. My mom gave me this idea to take the exact same photo of him every month. It's sweet to watch em as a slide show.

IMG_6417_zpsag9qyxed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Do you have a program you're going to be following?
Great idea on the pics! I'll try to do my best to try to replicate that. Not sure I have a "program" figured out yet, but I've read a couple of books that, for the most part, suggest similar ideas. Work on a few basic commands the first year, get birds in front of them as much as possible, and let them start to figure it out. I know both my boys are very excited to help with tossing dummies!

Great idea on the pics! I'll try to do my best to try to replicate that. Not sure I have a "program" figured out yet, but I've read a couple of books that, for the most part, suggest similar ideas. Work on a few basic commands the first year, get birds in front of them as much as possible, and let them start to figure it out. I know both my boys are very excited to help with tossing dummies!

What are you trying to do with the pup? Upland or retrieving? or both? If so I'd suggest buying Bill Hillmans Puppy Training DVD. It's best to follow a program, easier for you and the dog.

I start with Hillman then past puppy stage I moved to Lardy. But lardy is for just retrieving dogs, you won't see any upland work in there.

What are you trying to do with the pup? Upland or retrieving? or both? If so I'd suggest buying Bill Hillmans Puppy Training DVD. It's best to follow a program, easier for you and the dog.

I start with Hillman then past puppy stage I moved to Lardy. But lardy is for just retrieving dogs, you won't see any upland work in there.
Beings the pudelpointer is a versatile breed, I'm hoping he's able to do both upland and waterfowl, along with a bit of deer tracking and squirrel treeing. The first two being the primary. Yeah, my hopes are high. I'm pretty sure any shortcomings the dog will have will be because of me.

Not sure if the books I have are a "program" but they do have loose timelines of when to start working on what and how. I'll see if I can find the DVDs you mentioned.

Great thread T.

Few things inspire more than a pup that is hard wired for hunting. I'll be enjoying the thread. I'm not familiar with the breed, but sure does seem similar to gwp's.

I just wish they had longer life spans!

Great thread T.

Few things inspire more than a pup that is hard wired for hunting. I'll be enjoying the thread. I'm not familiar with the breed, but sure does seem similar to gwp's.

I just wish they had longer life spans!
Very similar to Drathaars ;) as pudelpointers were one of the breeds used to create them.

Thanks all for the support and interest. I'm sure I'll have a LOT of questions and will be posting too many pics and stories.

FWIW, some of you may remember Ithaca37 from here. He hasn't posted in a LONG time, but he was the first person I met that had a pudelpointer and the one responsible for me being interested in the breed.

I do remember Ithaca37's posts. A fine gentleman who bettered the sport he was.
He's still chasing birds around, except now he has a PP and an English pointer. Found I still had his number yesterday and gave him a call. Tried to convince him it's a kinder, gentler Hunttalk and suggested he may want to come back around.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back