Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Late AZ Unit 1 Bull Hunt

Tepcro

Well this is my 1st bull tag for my favorite unit in the AZ White Mountains, Unit 1.
I have only put in for the early bull hunt for about 16 years now... but this year I figured, I'm not getting any younger and I better try harder, and well, now I have this late bull hunt and no bonus points for the early hunt next year.
Just happy to get to hunt a bull finally!

So I've been getting ready, got the 30-06 all sighted in and worked up a new load that I hope will be awesome. It is 190 Grain Berger VLD Hunting bullet on Reloader 22, all on matching RP Cases that have been painfully matched.
Now I'm shooting groups off the bench that have 4 shots in what looks like 3 holes touching each other at 100 yds.
I've gone out and spotted lots of bulls, but, by the end of November when the rut has long since passed....where will the bulls be?
I know that's the reason it's called hunting not getting.

After all of the pressure, they will be in the nastiest, thickest, most remote spots that you can find. If lots of snow comes, then they will move lower, too. Good luck and don't shoot a small one!

During the archery season we saw some really big bulls along the border of the reservation. There are also lots of really thick nasty areas of black timber where you're hard pressed to move through without breaking your leg, lots of blowdowns around Big Lake and Green's Peak. There were lots of bulls in those areas too. If you get lots of snow perhaps the low pinion and juniper forests near the New Mexico border. That stuff is incredibly thick too.
Good luck to you.

i grew up in the unit and hunt it a lot. i will actually be on that hunt, as my father and brother both got drawn. that is a great hunt and we always kill BIG bulls in it. we always hunt up high because the snow pack never gets too bad. with the recent burn, the elk hold in the higher parts later in the year. the last tag we had in there 2 years ago, we took a 365" 6x8. got pushed out of a bedding area by another hunter in the middle of the day. there is a lot pressure up high, but it can work to your favor. the elk get pushed hard and you will be amazed at how many big bulls you can catch being pushed through the meadows all times of the day. you can PM me if you have any questions

I was in a similar situation. I had 18 BPs last year and was sick of waiting for the rifle hunt so I went archery. I would definately trade last years tag for any tag this year. Lots of big bulls everywhere
Best of luck to you.

Thanks to all of you for the encouraging words.
I too live up here and have made unit 1 my favorite place on earth (at least until the Wallow Fire)
I was planning to try up high and in the burns....we'll see how it goes.
Fortunately I will have lots of scouting time, so we'll see.

NO SETTLING!!!
Go Big or Go Home

We saw alot of elk in the burned areas of the Wallow fire last month. It is regenerating amazingly well. There is lots of brush and grass growing and the quakies are now 8-10 feet tall and so thick you can't see through them. We had bulls bugling from just 15-20 yards away from us on the other side of the quakie patch and could not see them and could not move without getting busted.
There will be great elk hunting there for many years to come.

Yeah, i was in 27 a couple yrs back in the archery season....that burn has to be thick as heck now.
Site won't let me post any pics....

There are on-line web sites where you can re-size your pics for free. I have done that and they will fit the max dimensions for this forum.

Heading that direction this evening. Can't wait to hit the mountains.

Due to an unforeseen surgery that my wife needed. I had to sign my tag over to my granddaughter. I will let you know how she does.
Thanks

I found this old thread and was wondering how the hunt went for your grand daughter. I hope all went well with your wife's surgery.

Successful hunt!

I found this old thread and was wondering how the hunt went for your grand daughter. I hope all went well with your wife's surgery.

My granddaughter shot a 6X6 bull that had the left eye guard and main sword busted off I estimate it would have scored about 320.
My son was so proud that he had it European mounted.
I'll try to send a pic later

Wife's surgery got postponed because the insurance company disputed it..she had it done in January and is recovering nicely... but only after my tag was transferred.
I had as much fun taking my granddaughter hunting as if I had done it myself. Maybe even better!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back