Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Outdoor edge Razor lite VS Havalon

I bought the OE this year and we used it on two mule deer. I was really impressed with it like stated above they do get gunky at times. I was able to gut skin and debone one deer without the blade getting dull. did have to switch half way through the second deer though. Jut a side question what does everybody do with their spent up or broken blades? I feel some of the weekend warrior road hunters would just leave them in the gut piles for critters to eat. I had a small plastic container I put mine in the size of a deck of cards.

I have a travel soap container from wal mart for old blades that was less than $1

I quit sharpening knives for the most part too. I just send mine into the manufacturer and have a knife back in a few days that is scary sharp. I believe my spyderco and benchmade both come back sharper than the OE blades are.

I still have to sharpen the kitchen knives though. My wife has those dull in about 30 seconds.

I'm going to date myself and my military service here...lol But, back in the day I had a buddy in the barracks that could sharpen knives really well, so I would shine his boots in exchange for him sharpening my knives, since I could put a good shine on. :D

I like the skill involved in putting a good edge on a knife. I was also trained to skin and pop joints without prying with the knife I'd so painstakingly sharpened. With that said I have a Havalon that has replaced my 3rd generation hand me down belt knife. If you let the edge do the work it is a great little tool. I guess when it comes to knife work, I'm a small caliber guy!

I'm not ready to trade it in for the OE product, but I wouldn't turn down a free one either.

I had a Havalon...but after breaking some blades, and having to deal with the PITA of changing them, I went to the OE. So much easier, and safer...and thicker blades, so no more snapping them.

I used both this year and reported in http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=264855, specifically http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showpost.php?p=2471333&postcount=32

At first I was impressed with the OE, but not after I used it. The edge was too soft and folded while skinning a deer. If you don't thoroughly clean the blade shortly after gutting a deer the fat/blood cements it in place and you won't get it out unless you run it under very hot water to melt the fat. Even then you might need pliers...

The convenience and lightness of the Havalon is nice. I saw an FWP biologist use hemostats to change out the blade and it worked well. With a little practice you can do it easily with your fingers too without too much danger. The problem I had with them is the tip is too pointed and extremely sharp. It is way too easy to poke a hole in something like the guts or your finger. I prefer a good hunting knife, but the Havalon is good enough and always sharp.

Listen to Grandpa talking about shining boots :) Lost art!! When I got to my first SF unit in 08 we had a memorial ceremony the week I got there. I took the display boots to this PFC and said "Hey Pri, put a spit shine on these." He told me he would get it done at LUNCH.....WTF!! I said "No, do it now!" He then explained to me how he was going to take it out on Bragg BLVD to get it done because no one had ever had him shine his jump boots. SMFH!!!! Needless to say he and old Sarge had a Kiwi-Class :hump:

QUOTE=JohnCushman;2498512]I'm going to date myself and my military service here...lol But, back in the day I had a buddy in the barracks that could sharpen knives really well, so I would shine his boots in exchange for him sharpening my knives, since I could put a good shine on. :D[/QUOTE]

Listen to Grandpa talking about shining boots :) Lost art!! When I got to my first SF unit in 08 we had a memorial ceremony the week I got there. I took the display boots to this PFC and said "Hey Pri, put a spit shine on these." He told me he would get it done at LUNCH.....WTF!! I said "No, do it now!" He then explained to me how he was going to take it out on Bragg BLVD to get it done because no one had ever had him shine his jump boots. SMFH!!!! Needless to say he and old Sarge had a Kiwi-Class :hump:

QUOTE=JohnCushman;2498512]I'm going to date myself and my military service here...lol But, back in the day I had a buddy in the barracks that could sharpen knives really well, so I would shine his boots in exchange for him sharpening my knives, since I could put a good shine on. :D
[/QUOTE]

That's why I had a separate set of inspection boots that never got worn :D

I had a couple years of shining boots. I was never a pro at it but mine were never the worst looking. Which was good enough

This is exactly why I'm thankful I joined the Army when they no longer had to shine their boots...

I was most disappointed when they began to issue patent leather shoes to recruits.

I may have wasted a lot of time spitting n my combat boots, but at least I know how to spit shine a damn pair of dress shoes.

I have both knives and both work great. The only thing I do not like about the razor lite is that the cost of replacement blades, $9.95 for only 6 blades where you can get 100 replacement blades for $35.00 for the Havalon. That is why I only buy and give Havalon knives as gifts and recommend Havalons as the best bet unless you like buying the 6 blades at a time at the large price of $9.95 which is 1/3 the price of the knife.

I love my havalon, but I won't take it on a solo backcountry hunt as I'm too concerned I'll slit and cut myself. They're so freaking sharp you could do a lot of damage quickly.

I have both and that is the route I would go. I find the blades harder to change on the razor light...they get bound up with gunk and become hard to get out. That being said I still love the knife. I really like the havalon for making final cuts of meat as well.

I own both. I would highly suggest you DO NOT use the havalon for big game. I broke it twice on one deer 2yrs ago popping joints and turning the corner in the "armpit". Its now reserved for small game only in my book. My true vote is for a good fixed blade, full tang knife though. Not a fan of changing blades, gets expensive.

I got the gerber and love it. Blade swap is easy and safer than havalon, i dont use it for all my meat work, use cheap #60 blades off amazon. I use it for all the skinning and stuff that dulls blade fast and for doing skulls. Then after i have worn out the blade(s) i simply swap to my actual hunting knife (bigger more sturdy) and do all my deboning. I like a spare knife when i am way back so this fits perfect and weighs nearly nothing and saves me sharpining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back