Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I'm curious guys,

What constitutes a legal ram? I've heard people throw around the term "full curl" but i've seen rams taken on the internet that don't look like full curl but maybe Im thinking of the wrong thing.

Also what are the consequences of taking a ram an inch too short?

This is what makes a legal ram in Montana-

legal ram.JPG

Saw these guys a couple weekends ago. Where they were doesn't even have a unit designated, but the closest unit to them is an unlimited unit.

bighorn3.jpg

bighorn2.jpg

bighorn1_1.jpg

They seemed pretty happy where they were at. We passed by within bow range on our way up and they were still in the same spot about an hour later when we headed back down. Probably spent close to 30 minutes watching them, the smallest one was pretty agitated and ran back and forth up and down some rocks but the big guys watched us for a bit then bedded back down.

They were above a fairly popular lake, but it is a 8 mile one way hike with 4,000' of elevation gain to get to the lake and these guys were about 1,000' elevation above that.

I believe Nolie Mumey may have wrote about a ram similar to that color, or at least that's how I've pictured him.

So cam anyone tell me what the consequences are for taking a ram that's even an inch short?

We only have a draw for one species here, that is hog deer
You get one tag for stag and one for hind.
A bloke asked the question to the game management authority "what happens if someone shoots a stag then shoots a Nobby stag (yearling hoggies can look identical to hinds) with no visible pedicle or antler by accident?".
Their response was, as long as it was a genuine accident they would be reasonable and the person wouldn't be punished they'd just have the animal confiscated.

^At the very least, fines and confiscation of the animal, I would assume. Maybe even loss of hunting privileges, but someone more knowledgeable than me would have to chime in on that.

Good luck to everybody. Tonight and tomorrow I'll be putting everything together and
Sunday heading in for what I hope to be ten days of hiking in beautiful country. Might even see a sheep.

I know that if I shot a ram in the unlimited areas I would not be breathing during the run up to the animal due to anxiety that I misjudged it!

I know that if I shot a ram in the unlimited areas I would not be breathing during the run up to the animal due to anxiety that I misjudged it!

3/4 curl requirements are statewide (except the tendoys), not just in the unlimiteds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back