Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Thanks guys,

In my experience most hunters possess a sense of humor whether they are kidding a buddy or are the butt of a joke themselves.

Beyond poking fun at myself, I was commiserating with MTGomer. I was also hoping to illustrate that any of us can occasionally lose focus during a hunt, then get flustered when faced with unexpected circumstances. Had I been moving more slowly, planting my butt more frequently and scanning the route ahead with binoculars, I might have caught the ram unaware (as the younger one appeared to be). Without the temporal pressure imposed by my concern that the ram would imminently bolt, I likely would have become aware of the expanse of ground between us. Indeed, I could have waited for the ram to approach much closer. Additionally, my hope is that the anecdote provides a lesson about being familiar with one’s gear.

Thanks guys,

In my experience most hunters possess a sense of humor whether they are kidding a buddy or are the butt of a joke themselves.

Beyond poking fun at myself, I was commiserating with MTGomer. I was also hoping to illustrate that any of us can occasionally lose focus during a hunt, then get flustered when faced with unexpected circumstances. Had I been moving more slowly, planting my butt more frequently and scanning the route ahead with binoculars, I might have caught the ram unaware (as the younger one appeared to be). Without the temporal pressure imposed by my concern that the ram would imminently bolt, I likely would have become aware of the expanse of ground between us. Indeed, I could have waited for the ram to approach much closer. Additionally, my hope is that the anecdote provides a lesson about being familiar with one’s gear.

I've found that it takes a great deal of mental focus day after day up there to continue being sneaky and thorough. Sheep sightings are so rare and few and far between, without discipline its easy to get careless, because theres usually no consequence, because there's usually no sheep. I try not to be like that because the moment you are, you can screw yourself.
A few weeks before opener last year I went scouting, saw nothing the first couple days, got up in the morning, as it was barely light walked the couple hundred yards to a spring to get water, and there were 5 rams standing in it. I dropped to the ground before they saw me, but it was a very close call of blowing them out of the country.

Thanks for the comment Ike14.

I'll be posting some more photos as long as anyone is interested; but I've got to build a new shelf to house my photo scanner first. All my photos from the 1980s are still on 35mm slides, except for a few that I scanned as test files when I first obtained the scanner.

I'm with Ike14! Excited to see more Jim Bridger-esque photos of you Shines. In the meantime, let's appreciate the fact that there is considerably more snow now than there was in this November slog through the baseless powder. 600 yards in 2 hours to gain the ridge...

Those sheep are a helluva critter.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 7.23.31 PM.png

Last edited:
Cool shot YoungGun!

Three things I'd really like to know: 1) Did you find the top well swept by wind when got you there? 2) How long did you stay after reaching the ridge? 3) Are you wearing snowshoes in that photo?

Cool shot YoungGun!

Three things I'd really like to know: 1) Did you find the top well swept by wind when got you there? 2) How long did you stay after reaching the ridge? 3) Are you wearing snowshoes in that photo?

Usually it would be windswept, as the beartooths tend to be, but in this case it had snowed a good amount and the wind hadn’t touched it yet. My buddy in the photo is 6’8, and had yet to hit solid ground. I ended up doing the best crawl/swim/wade up the slope I could in the baseless powder. The snowshoes were worthless- ski’s and skins would have been marginally better. We stayed long enough to build a small fire to dry out as well as have a quick snack, and then we bailed off the hard earned ridge after a distant band of rams.

If hunttalk supported short videos, you see us laughing at the miserably good time and fruitless effort to go anywhere while my buddy is high centered, neither foot punching far enough to catch rock or an old crust.

If hunttalk supported short videos, you see us laughing at the miserably good time and fruitless effort to go anywhere while my buddy is high centered, neither foot punching far enough to catch rock or an old crust.

I caught the phrase "baseless powder"--just wondered if it was under boots, snowshoes or, as you mentioned, skis. The trench leading to your friend's location looked wide enough that I thought it might have be trod by webs; I've just never encountered powder quite that fluffy myself. Thanks for responding!

Care to elaborate on pursuit of the distant band of rams?

I believe it EYJONAS!, this season was a bit snowier than last!

Shines- as for the pursuit, perhaps a touch of O’Connor would best sum it up. “It may be eight or nine hours from the time [a hunter] gets his glass on a trophy ram until he gets a shot—if he gets a shot at all. And all that time he’s in a high pitch of excitement, living a month in each five minutes.”
—“How to Stalk a Ram,” October 1962

The tale, like most from sheep country, would best to be spun while sitting on a log or a rock, with woodsmoke accents and a crackling fire chiming in.

Not being a resident, I'm unfamiliar with the usual release date (if there is one); but I thought I would let everyone know that the 2018 regulations are now available online at the Montana FWP website. Looks like all the season dates and quotas are the same as last year.

I ordered a spotting scope and laser rangefinder this weekend--they should arrive by Thursday. Laser rangefinders weren't even available to hunters when I last hunted sheep in the unlimited units. Every week, I'm getting more exited about the prospect of returning!

You can purchase or apply for your unlimited license in the month of April. I purchase mine directly from the local Bob Wards. Being a non resident shines, you should talk with FWP headquarters to see if they can sell direct to you. Save's you some money and the hassle of applying.

Edit. Regs say you can buy license on line.

Last edited:
shines: If you pull a tag and want to have another go at it this year, you can count me in as a sherpa. I would gladly pack out a ram.

That's an extraordinary offer, HSi-ESi, especially in light of the fact that you personally know how heinous those boulder fields can be!

In my early thirties, I could not find a hunting partner who shared my passion for mountain hunting. One friend accompanied me on a Mountain Goat hunt in Washington's Cascade Mountain Range; and he even returned with me a couple days later to help pack out the balance of the meat, which we had cached in a snowbank. Although I shared the goat generously with Paul, I never saw him display any enthusiasm for backpack wilderness hunting after that adventure. By my mid-thirties I simply determined to go alone whenever the hunt involved backpacking into wilderness. Frankly, I came to appreciate the challenge, and the sense of accomplishment, even more when undertaken solo.

Having stated the forgoing, I am humbled and mightily impressed that you would make such an offer to someone you haven't even met in person. At sixty-eight, I am uncomfortably aware of my physical limitations. Indeed, at this age I'd be happy to accept such assistance should the opportunity arise. I've got about six weeks to make a decision on committing to a hunt this year.

I previously hunted the 502 District, which did not open until November 19 in those years. With all the districts opening up much earlier, I'm leaning more toward 501 or 500 for another go. In either district, I anticipate hunting quite remote country, at least in the early portion of the season. I also need decide whether to rent a satellite phone or opt for an inReach unit to keep tabs on season quota status--I'd go with a Garmin inReach for sure, were the company not so greedy as to disable the GPS function of the units when not on active subscription.

If any forum members who owned an inReach when they were still a DeLorme product could tell me, I'd appreciate knowing if the early units retained GPS functionality without a current subscription.

Last edited:
I have the Garmin inReach Explorer+ with the Freedom Expedition Plan. Unlimited texting, unlimited pulls of basic weather forecasts, etc. $24.95 per year for the ability to pay $64.95 per month for the service, and don't pay for the months that I don't use it. I've suspended my account since February (not much to hunt now.....) and my GPS still works on the unit. So maybe my $24.95 annual fee is what's keeping my GPS functionality on? I use it a few months every year, so if that is the case then I don't think the GPS will ever actually be deactivated.

Thanks WinMag,

I have the Garmin inReach Explorer+ with the Freedom Expedition Plan. Unlimited texting, unlimited pulls of basic weather forecasts, etc. $24.95 per year for the ability to pay $64.95 per month for the service, and don't pay for the months that I don't use it. I've suspended my account since February (not much to hunt now.....) and my GPS still works on the unit. So maybe my $24.95 annual fee is what's keeping my GPS functionality on? I use it a few months every year, so if that is the case then I don't think the GPS will ever actually be deactivated.

Thanks winmag,

I believe that your information helps. However, if you will indulge me, I'd like to clarify. The "Unlimited texting, unlimited pulls of basic weather forecasts, etc." you mention, those are only available during times when you are paying the $64.95 monthly fee--is that correct?

Otherwise, the annual "Freedom Expedition Plan" (maintenance fee, for lack of a better term) of $24.95 retains the GPS functionality. Also, I presume, the 911 beacon, which I understand is always active. Have I made an accurate assessment?

Unlimited texting, unlimited pulls of basic weather forecasts, AND 911 BEACON FUNCTIONALITY are ONLY active when you are actively paying the $64.95/month. I assume the $24.95/year keeps the GPS functionality working the whole year and that's it.

Unlimited texting, unlimited pulls of basic weather forecasts, AND 911 BEACON FUNCTIONALITY are ONLY active when you are actively paying the $64.95/month. I assume the $24.95/year keeps the GPS functionality working the whole year and that's it.

Okay winmag, I certainly did not realize that about the 911 beacon--thank you, for the clarification.

Also, welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here myself; and I've been quite impressed with the generous and helpful nature of the people posting to this thread.

In the last few days around town there seems to be more conversation about the unlimited units and a change to the point system. I have been told that you can now “purchase” an unlimited sheep tag for 2 years in a row without losing your accumulated bonus points (unless you kill in the unlimited). I can’t find clarification in the regs. Is that the case? If so, I can see where more guys would give the unlimiteds a try for a year or two and then go back to applying in the limited areas. It’s not like a couple less bonus points impacts your chances of drawing in MT....seems like a disproportionate number of limited tags go to low total point holders.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back