Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: MT Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Elk View Post
    Hey Shines, click on Gomer's name on one of his posts. A box with several options will pop up. Click on private message and it will take you to a page where all you need to do is write your message and click submit message.
    Thank you, Southern Elk--I appreciate the help.

WL

Earlier, I posted two photos (my second and third) to this thread that appeared as blue underlined numbers. Initially, clicking on either number would cause the associated graphic to open. Now, it brings up text that says something about broken or invalid link. Can one of you experienced users tell me what I did wrong?

The first photo I posted appeared just fine; however, I discovered that file name information I didn't intend to include was visible when cursor was placed over the image. Since I couldn't figure out how to edit the file name on the site, I deleted the file. I'd like to be a contributing member of the forum--I've gone back to my already scanned sheep hunting photos and changed the file names. Before I attempt to post the same or other files, would anyone care to offer tips on the best procedure?

On some older posts from forum members I see, instead of the intended images, references to third-party hosting sites like Photo Bucket. I assume the images are no longer hosted on those sites; but I wouldn't mind learning if I'm doing something incorrectly that prevents me viewing the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by shines@times View Post
    Thank you, Southern Elk--I appreciate the help.

WL
    You're welcome. When I decide to give the unlimiteds a try, I'm going to PM you. I need for you to know how it works.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Elk View Post
    You're welcome. When I decide to give the unlimiteds a try, I'm going to PM you. I need for you to know how it works.
    Okay, I get it! (In addition to being old, I'm kinda' "Old School." Still, every so often someone inspires me to resort to emoji usage.)

Your "Southern Elk" moniker arouses my curiosity. I know that elk have been restored to several states where they historically ranged but have long been extirpated--does your forum member nickname correlate to that situation?

While it definitely is not from an unlimited hunting district, I thought forum members might be interested in new Boone & Crockett World Record for Bighorn ram from Wild Horse Island in Flathead Lake:

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/...n/nr_0783.html

Shines

I’ll try sending that to you tomorrow
    ďTo me, if you donít eat it, then itís not a point of prideĒ. -Matt Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by MTGomer View Post
    Shines

I’ll try sending that to you tomorrow
    Thanks Gomer--I'm looking forward to it.

Do you think you'll hunt the same district this coming season?

I'm guessing you'll be pouring over the statistic after FWP publishes last season's results. Were I in your shoes, I know I'd want to see if the same ram was either harvested or might have survived to give me another chance.

Okay, I get it! (In addition to being old, I'm kinda' "Old School." Still, every so often someone inspires me to resort to emoji usage.)

Your "Southern Elk" moniker arouses my curiosity. I know that elk have been restored to several states where they historically ranged but have long been extirpated--does your forum member nickname correlate to that situation?
    I'm originally from Mississippi. I'm now living the dream in SW Montana.

Thanks Gomer--I'm looking forward to it.

Do you think you'll hunt the same district this coming season?

I'm guessing you'll be pouring over the statistic after FWP publishes last season's results. Were I in your shoes, I know I'd want to see if the same ram was either harvested or might have survived to give me another chance.

The ram missed has not been harvested, but I'm afraid he's now dead. He'd be 15 or 16 this year.

The ram missed has not been harvested, but I'm afraid he's now dead. He'd be 15 or 16 this year.
    Hi Gomer,

A ram 15 or 16 years old would be exceptionally ancient in any locale, let alone the Beartooth country--what convinces you that he was that old? I'm not trying to be argumentative here--based upon what I've read of your postings I respect your knowledge, experience and insights. (I am willing to continue this conversation offline if you'd prefer.) In truth, I'd like to see you successfully locate and harvest the same ram this coming season, especially if he is an old monarch.

When I was actively hunting the unlimited districts in my 30's, I stumbled upon some information that FWP did not make generally known to the public. If there is a chance that your missed ram was especially big, but not really very old, contact me offline for the details (but not to include specific locations--you understand).

I encountered a Montana resident when I reached the trailhead with this pack--he shot the picture for me.

Name:  BSH_R02_F19mc_0287P09_cape packout_Crop.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  99.5 KB

(Of course, I don't know if a photo is actually going to appear here the way I intend--I got to hit "Post Quick Reply" and check the results.)

I encountered a Montana resident when I reached the trailhead with this pack--he shot the picture for me.

Name:  BSH_R02_F19mc_0287P09_cape packout_Crop.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  99.5 KB

(Of course, I don't know if a photo is actually going to appear here the way I intend--I got to hit "Post Quick Reply" and check the results.)
    Great snap and great ram mate ��

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_hunter_JD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_hunter_JD View Post
    Thanks Aussie_hunter_JD,

Looks like the photo posting worked--at least for awhile. Maybe I'm posting old stuff a little too often; but I find it is helping to get my blood up. I am hoping to give it either three more attempts or one successful hunt. If it hasn't already evaporated, I know the time is rapidly draining.

Perhaps you are, like me, a fan of Pink Floyd. Something I have often reflected upon is a line from one of their songs: "Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time, plans that either come to naught, or half a page of scribbled rhymes." The further I age, the more I am struck by how prescient those words were to have been penned by young musicians still in their twenties.

Something I hadn't yet revealed on these pages is that my 1980's sheep hunts were partly in memory of a deceased friend. Spencer Linderman was a graduate student pursuing a masters degree in Wildlife Management at the University of Alaska (Fairbanks) when I was just a freshman. He was remarkably friendly and accommodating given the gap of years and experience between us. We always planned making a Dall sheep hunt together. Unfortunately, it never came to pass. I had to leave Alaska in 1970 to answer a draft call. Reading an "Outdoor Life" article several years later, I learned that Spencer had been killed in an airplane crash while conducting an aerial Mountain goat survey in 1975. Ameliorating my grief was the knowledge that Spencer had lived more life in his 29 years than most people will know in 70 or 80. Perhaps I have just gone maudlin in my "Golden Years." Still, I think the older members of this forum will understand; and I hope the younger ones will take to heart the "carpe diem" message.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Thanks Aussie_hunter_JD,

Looks like the photo posting worked--at least for awhile. Maybe I'm posting old stuff a little too often; but I find it is helping to get my blood up. I am hoping to give it either three more attempts or one successful hunt. If it hasn't already evaporated, I know the time is rapidly draining.

Perhaps you are, like me, a fan of Pink Floyd. Something I have often reflected upon is a line from one of their songs: "Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time, plans that either come to naught, or half a page of scribbled rhymes." The further I age, the more I am struck by how prescient those words were to have been penned by young musicians still in their twenties.

Something I hadn't yet revealed on these pages is that my 1980's sheep hunts were partly in memory of a deceased friend. Spencer Linderman was a graduate student pursuing a masters degree in Wildlife Management at the University of Alaska (Fairbanks) when I was just a freshman. He was remarkably friendly and accommodating given the gap of years and experience between us. We always planned making a Dall sheep hunt together. Unfortunately, it never came to pass. I had to leave Alaska in 1970 to answer a draft call. Reading an "Outdoor Life" article several years later, I learned that Spencer had been killed in an airplane crash while conducting an aerial Mountain goat survey in 1975. Ameliorating my grief was the knowledge that Spencer had lived more life in his 29 years than most people will know in 70 or 80. Perhaps I have just gone maudlin in my "Golden Years." Still, I think the older members of this forum will understand; and I hope the younger ones will take to heart the "carpe diem" message.

Thanks again for the kind words.
    Shines@times,

Thank you for the stories and pictures you've provided in this thread. They're outstanding.

I'm pulling for you to get back in those mountains and come back out with another ram on your back.

Shines

I sent you an email with that video. Did you get it? We can discuss on there more about the ram and his age.

If you didn’t get it my email is riley.pearson09@gmail.com

And dear God Shines. You look like an absolute killer in that photo. I am beyond impressed

Quote Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
    Shines@times,

Thank you for the stories and pictures you've provided in this thread. They're outstanding.

I'm pulling for you to get back in those mountains and come back out with another ram on your back.
    Those are compliments I'll treasure whether I make it to the high country again or not.

Thanks Randy.

And dear God Shines. You look like an absolute killer in that photo. I am beyond impressed
    More kind and appreciated words!

I just sent an email regarding the video clip--I'm hoping it get through alright.

AMAZING Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I haven't been following this thread. That is some story and song Gomer, thanks for telling it.

I had heard about the guy they found but didn't know his background. This spring someone at the BHA campout told me they had found a bunch of lighters around him as we were discussing how useless lighters are in cold, wet weather - based on our mutual experience. I thought he was making up the part about the lighters for drama, but it looks like it played a role in his demise.
    Poignantly, it calls to mind the Jack London short story "To Build a Fire."

Quote Originally Posted by C Bow View Post
    I just ordered this book Thanks
    Hi Coy,

I'm rereading the Unlimited Sheep threads to glean information and inspiration. It's been a year; did you find Butler's book "The Versatile Trophy Hunter" an informative and worthwhile read?

Also, if you don't mind the question, did your first trip include hunting; or were you only exploring the country and conditions?

Will

PS: Thanks for the compliment on my trailhead photo.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTNNW View Post
    At the Sheep show this year we had 3 guys at our table that had taken 7 sheep between the 3 of them from MT unlimited units.. One was taken last year scored 180"
    Was that ram 10.5 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by mdunc8 View Post
    Satellite phone or texting function on DeLorme inReach
    Hi mdunc8,

I understand that the satellite phone will certainly let you call the hotline--however, does FWP in fact post and/or respond to text messages so that DeLorme inReach is a viable option?

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    "I haven't been following this thread. That is some story and song Gomer, thanks for telling it.

I had heard about the guy they found but didn't know his background. This spring someone at the BHA campout told me they had found a bunch of lighters around him as we were discussing how useless lighters are in cold, wet weather - based on our mutual experience. I thought he was making up the part about the lighters for drama, but it looks like it played a role in his demise."
    ================================================== ================================================== ===========================================

Guys,

I've already made comment that the incident brought to mind Jack London's story "To Build a Fire." Thinking about it, I was inspired to read it again--it had been several decades since I'd last read the story. I'd totally forgotten that a dog was featured in the tale, as in the real-life story that played out near Cooke City. Time was, Jack London's literature was read in public schools in this country. I don't know if that is still the case. Assuming that it is not, or that others like me have not read the piece recently, here is a link where one may read the story online:

http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Jack_...a_Fire_p1.html

The tale bears relevance to hunting Montana's Unlimited Bighorn Sheep Districts, particularly late in the season (subject to quota closures, of course), which I hope to expound upon in future comments.

I'm leaving it up to followers of the thread to rein me in should they feel that I am straying too far off topic. Defending my stance in advance, I'll mention that some of the best advice I can offer related to hunting the UL units is that one need acquire a reasonable degree of confidence in coping with weather in all conceivable circumstances. While the coldest ambient temperature I measured while hunting UL units was -5F, the winds that lashed me in those temperatures added significant threat. On my second hunt I was, in fact, unable to ignite my Optimus backpacking stove, even though huddled under an overhanging rock slab, due to spindrift diluting the preheating fuel.

I'm still in the process of finding and scanning 35mm slides of a few bivouac camps that will illustrate how I learned to cope--I bought some hardware a couple days ago for a shelf I need to build in order to house my slide scanner. I'll post the photos as soon as they are processed.
    Last edited by shines@times; 02-17-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Hi mdunc8,

I understand that the satellite phone will certainly let you call the hotline--however, does FWP in fact post and/or respond to text messages so that DeLorme inReach is a viable option?
    I love my inreach. I'll never rent a satellite phone again. I use it in the backcountry and even on day hunts when there's no cell service. I've used it to text my wife just to let her know that I'll be late. It gives her as much peace of mind as it does me. If I used it in the unlimiteds, I would have a friend keep tabs on the quotas and text that friend for an update.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast