Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: MT Unlimited

I saw three sheep, four goats, two deer, and one bull while hunting opening week two years ago. We didn't move around much, but it was over 15 miles back to the truck when we were done so we did cover some ground. Never heard a bugle. Didn't saw a wallow. And only saw a handful of rubs where we saw the bull on the way out. My buddy was toast and there was no way I was shooting any mammal at the point let alone a big bull, which was disappointing at the time considering how big it was. However, once reality set in a few miles later, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger. Amazing country and I'll be heading back soon.

No legal Sheep I take it? Or just logistically couldnt put it together? I will absolutely not be taking a bull in Sept. weather any farther than a few miles from the truck. A Sheep tho...
    When I die, spread me over the Mission mountains so I can watch the Sunset over Flathead for eternity!

Close but not quite

That bull I posted a pic of above was just over Boulder Pass, not too bad a pack job. The pics don't do him justice, he's huge! He has a 4" sticker that's not visible so he's actually a 7x8.
    It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With.

5. Default

That bull looks like it could make all-time B&C. Very pretty set of antlers.
    I'll pass on the Kool-Aid.

I have yet to hear a bull bugle back there. I have found some basins that look perfect for elk, with perfect holes for wallows that are void of any elk sign.

I have seen a little elk sign here and there, and did see 1 raggy 6x7 last early August.

I have seen a few cow elk in another place but they were outside of an early rifle zone.
    Much easier places to get into a lot better elk hunting, but if you have stock might as well give it a go if you want.

I dread the day I kill a ram in some of the places we go. Couldn't imagine dealing with an elk.

I crossed 1 nice fresh bull track in the snow on the 14th last year. Had a recent small wallow and rub near my camp. Small group of cows walked right past my tent one night talking away. No bugles heard at all. Big country, not a lot of elk.

On a positive note, I bought my sheep tag today! Starting to get pumped for the coming season.
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

Well Elk or not Im gonna be climbing some rocks this Summer/Fall. I honestly hope I dont see a Bull like yours way back there...that would be a tough one too pass. Good luck too all heading that direction, maybe we cross paths scouting. Ill be solo scouting most of the summer...Id gladly hike with another huntalker. PM me if you want a scouting partner.
    When I die, spread me over the Mission mountains so I can watch the Sunset over Flathead for eternity!

9. Default

[QUOTE=On a positive note, I bought my sheep tag today! Starting to get pumped for the coming season.[/QUOTE]

This will be my first year up there with a tag; really looking forward to it as well!

How many Hunt Talkers are taking on this goat-rope of an adventure this year?

Not me. Still too scared and I'm still a little too, uhhh, fluffy to be wondering around up there. Haha. Though I do have some plans this summer to go up and try to find some for the hell of it. Good luck to all who're going for it.

I will be back this fall after my 7 year wait is finally up. Not sure how much time I will be able to put in this year since I am hunting moose in Alaska in early September.

I'm planning on drawing a mountain goat tag there too this fall for a sheep-goat combo hunt.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BigHornRam View Post
    I'm planning on drawing a mountain goat tag there too this fall for a sheep-goat combo hunt.
    I'm gonna second this

Name:  Stillwater sheep1.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  70.5 KBName:  Stillwater Sheep2.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  95.3 KBName:  Stillwater Sheep3.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  64.2 KB

Full disclosure they aren't my pictures but a few from the unlimiteds.

Pulled the trigger on 300 the other day, first time sheep hunter! Through my research I've found only a handful of sheep have been killed the last few years, in comparison to 2007-2012 where there were more rams being killed. Anyone know if this just happened to be bad luck, or are sheep numbers down in the unit?

17. Default

Hopefully those rams are from 300!

Photos look like winter range rams by the mine. Often rams in 300 stay in the Park during the hunting season so no harvest occurs in those years. Just part of the deal hunting that unit.

19. Default

Good luck to all this season. Hunt smart and be safe I'm predicting a redemption for gomer!

God willing I will see you on top

Hey guys. I'm moving to the Madison Valley next month. I don't think I'm ready to tackle this hunt this year, but maybe next. Does anyone know if good hunting in unit 300 can be accessed from the western side of the unit? That would make my drive much easier. Also how does 300 compare to the other units? Would I be better off looking at another unit all together?
    "Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Elk View Post
    Hey guys. I'm moving to the Madison Valley next month. I don't think I'm ready to tackle this hunt this year, but maybe next. Does anyone know if good hunting in unit 300 can be accessed from the western side of the unit? That would make my drive much easier. Also how does 300 compare to the other units? Would I be better off looking at another unit all together?
    Unit 300 has a 10 day season, starting on 9/1. The others are 2 months plus, unless the quota gets filled. Most of the hunting in 300 is done along the Park line, so access from Tom miner road is easiest. The application period has come and gone for this year so next year is the soonest you can do this hunt. Spend some time this summer back packing and camping in the different units and figure out which area suits you best. Good luck with your move to Montana.

Thanks BHR. I didn't realize the season was shorter in 300. Maybe I should look into some of the other units. I'm looking forward to spending time in some of that country, even if it's just hiking/camping.
    "Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance." - Theodore Roosevelt

Just fyi, 303 closes Oct. 31 if the quota hasn't been reached by then, which is also shorter than the 5oo districts

I'll be back at it this year without a Moose tag to interrupt me, just that Goat and Bison tag
    Name:  CSC_0243.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  70.0 KB
    303 Rams
    Name:  DSC_0030.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  47.8 KB
    300 Rams
    Name:  DSC_0261.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  61.9 KB
    300 Rams
    Name:  IMG_3432.jpg
Size:  32.3 KB
    300 Ram
    Name:  DSC_0117.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  40.2 KBName:  DSC_0003.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  29.1 KBName:  DSC_0078.jpg
Size:  171.6 KB
    It's easier to walk with your eyes- You don't have to carry your pack and get to lay on it instead
    Name:  DSC_0202.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  41.1 KB
    Just missed the party....

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast