Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Too bad. I was really hoping to see at least one of you guys get into them this year after that quick start in the 300's. I guess I'll have to live through you next year, unless I bite a really big one and go at it one of these years. I'd better make a decision though as I'll be 60 next May!

The fat lady hasn't sang yet, but conditions are worse than average and making it tough out there for those who still are trying it. Couple more weeks. You never know!

I may have missed it in an earlier post, but were there any successful Unlimited hunters this season? In the 300s, etc.? Vicariously living through this thread until next year and I can give it a go.

I may have missed it in an earlier post, but were there any successful Unlimited hunters this season? In the 300s, etc.? Vicariously living through this thread until next year and I can give it a go.

Both 300's are closed. Nothing at all in the 500's yet.

I wouldn't say pounded but wouldn't surprise me if they go up. Would be interesting to see tag numbers per unit. I haven't spent much time in them but on the cover I think the 300's seem a little more inviting to people compared to the 500's. Also, their closer proximity to Bozeman probably doesn't help all that much. The Meateater podcast will probably spike numbers too. Albeit a good listen I think it will tempt people to go into those mountains who probably shouldn't be up there. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Awesome. Somebody must have found some down lower toward the wintering areas in the last couple of days. The last time I called in was Monday and there was still nothing from 500.

I know its not an unlimited unit but I was told there are already sheep on the winter range by Earthquake Lake. I haven't been down there in a few weeks.

I was wondering early on that with 300 and 303 filling so quickly this year that maybe the sheep knew what was coming and began moving out of the park in front of the weather.

Planning on buying a license. Don't know how much time I will have to hunt. Depends on where I will be at building a new house. If it's done, look out bighorns. Also have some concern about how the sheep herds do this winter. Looking to be tough on them so far. Early green up could change things though.

I'm fairly new to the forum. I apply for tags in a number of states primarily looking for moose, goat and sheep so when i saw the unlimited areas last year while researching I almost jumped on it but got full up with other hunts. Unless I get a great tag during the same season as the unlimited areas, I could devote some time to Montana Sheep if somebody needs a hunt buddy to attack those mountains.

I will be putting some time into the unlimiteds this year. Scouted a bit last year. Still not sure on which unit. Might be interested in a partner.

Can you hunt species other than bighorn while in the units?

Yeah, but unless you drew a goat tag, you'd kind of be wasting your time.
There's a lot better places to hunt other species.
To take the sheep seriously, anything to do with other species would have to be incidental, instead of actually 'hunting' for them. Odds are lower enough without a deer/elk distraction.

I have stumbled into and shot two wolves.
There are some big black bears, but there is not a black bear in North America I would carry on my back for 10-25 miles.

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm new to this forum, but not to hunting sheep in Montana's unlimited units. In the spirit of fairness and disclosure I'll tell everybody upfront that I'll be doing more lurking than posting. I am willing to discuss unlimited sheep district hunting in general terms. However, like most of you, I don't want to give away too much information that I gained only through a significant investment of personal time, monetary resources and effort. That said, at least two of the Hunt Talk members have mentioned "Shawn." If Shawn is who I think he is you will recognize that I knew the man if I tell you his last name also begins with S.

Would someone on this forum either confirm or disabuse me of the notion? I ask because I've been long out of contact. I'm surprised if the Shawn S. I knew is still working his position; although it is not out of the realm of possibility, particularly for one who loves his job.

So guys, if I can get this old body back into shape, I just might end up being the oldest old fart to hunt the Beartooth country for Bighorn rams. I've contacted one young buck, whom I stumbled upon online; and because I liked the attitude he expressed about hunting the unlimited units, and having no offspring of my own, I'm sharing information hard-won with him regardless of whether or not I can get into the sheep country again myself.

Reading through the 14 pages (so far) of this thread I've been impressed with the knowledge and attitude of the members. Nobody has come across as arrogant, belittling or mean. On the contrary, I've seen welcoming helpfulness extended to the newbies and casual inquirers.

Not to slight anyone else, I commend MTGomer and EYJONAS (your photos reveal at least a portion of your hunting territory, EYJONAS. And now that I've said that, you know at least a portion of mine) for their knowledge of the subject and their generosity to newcomers.

C Bow, I've noticed your postings that span a couple years. For another old guy (as you've self described), I'm impressed that you stuck with your dream long enough to have at least experienced Sheep Hunting. Nobody can take that experience away from you. I was much younger (in my mid-thirties) when the Beartooth kicked my ass the first time. I hope you return to success--as long as you don't shoot a ram out from under me!

I'll post some pictures of my hunts in the future. I've already scanned some of the old slides (which should clue you all in to my antiquity--for you younger hunters, "slides" refers to a plastic substrate coated with photosensitive chemicals) and I'll scan a few more. Of course, I intend to be selective, so as to not include too much background territory.

Does anybody on the forum know Don Lowendorf, once a sheriff's deputy who lived in Nye (late 1980s)?

Back