Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: MT Unlimited

Good to hear. Been a rough streak there the last few years.

2. Default

Looks like some weather is coming in this week for the opener, it never fails no matter how dry it is a guy can count on some weather September 15th especially when you got a sheep tag in your pocket. Definitely not complaining because this state needs it more then ever and I'm welcoming it with open arms. Good luck to all this week and the upcoming season stay safe out there!

Lighters, goretex, 4 season tent, puffy coat and pants, ice ax, crampons, ski goggles.
    I was sleeping on a pad on top of my sleeping bag with no tent just the other day.
    Oh I love going from summer to winter in the same damn day 3 years in a row. Stay safe and good luck!

Wow, two taken in 300 this year and now two taken the first day of the season in 303!

5. Default

Another whacky weather start, we postponed headed in for a week tomorrow. I hear there's 2 plus feet in the high country. Good luck.

Kook City forecast convinced me to change my strategy. Looking at going over there maybe on Friday if unit is still open.
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

Tough times

Name:  IMG_3023.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  74.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3017.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3013.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  36.6 KB

Looks like fun, Gomer! Good luck to all you hard-core, Beartooth sheep hunters!
    "Ride due West as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains" Robidoux

Look at the bright side, it will make them easier to spot with that white background.
    It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With.

Quote Originally Posted by KClark View Post
    Look at the bright side, it will make them easier to spot with that white background.
    Fun opener! My brother was in 501 and got blown off the plateau, cold and wet he came back in.
    I was over in 500 chasing deer and this is what my camp looked like after the storm.

Name:  IMG_3007.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  66.7 KB

The white triangle is my tarp tent... Lol

Seems like you wouldn't have much concern about meat spoilage.

Tough times for tough men, good luck guys!

You fellows might want to start looking for their winter range. Looks like they may get another foot of snow in the unlimiteds. Seriously, how much snow will it take to make the sheep start moving down?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

I love playing in the snow as long as it's not below 0 and windy.

14. Default

I got about the same report as you guys do with the same pictures, so ill save them, back at it next week!

Looks like the Beartooths are getting hammered again today.

16. Default

Name:  Resized952017091995152751.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  57.5 KB
    Ain't doing half bad for a half full glass - Drake White

Got my tail KICKED in the Beartooths this year. Sheep 1 C Bow 0 Will be back next year.

18. Default

Glad to hear you made her out cbow, the old tooths sure weren't to inviting for anyone this year. Hopefully you enjoyed yourself, which unit did you hunt? I'm back at it tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkid85 View Post
    Fun opener! My brother was in 501 and got blown off the plateau, cold and wet he came back in.
    I was over in 500 chasing deer and this is what my camp looked like after the storm.

Name:  IMG_3007.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  66.7 KB

The white triangle is my tarp tent... Lol

Love that picture! You sheep guys need a Sawtooth with stove
    RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME

20. Default

Name:  20171008_140036.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  45.7 KB Name:  20171008_135949.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  60.0 KB Name:  20171009_180643.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  63.6 KB
    Just returned from another go at it, beautiful country, cold, windy, nothing better then a couple days in the unlimited unit's. Till next time.

Is this even a realistic chance at success for a NR diy hunter?I'd lke to give it a try.How many miles in till your where the sheep are?? Love the otc opportunity for sheep.What are the quotas and are they always met??

I had a friend of a friend shoot one three years ago. Stopped by to check out his ram before heading back to ND. Those things are even more impressive when you get your hands on them.
    I think most units are two, but Iím not positive. Itís not uncommon for them to go unfilled. However, itís a very real possibility that your unit might close several days into the season.
    Last edited by mdunc8; 10-11-2017 at 12:22 PM.

23. Default

I feel that its anyone's game, the only advantage I have over a non-res which is a pretty big one is that I can be hunting sheep in 3 hours from my house. That's in the zone, up the trail. To me though that doesn't mean much, so far I have over 20 days in the unlimited area and all of my time has been spent in one district and I am still yet to turn up a legal ram a couple close ones but not ones I want to harvest. So, to answer your question it can happen to anyone at any moment, res or non-res. I have found sheep anywhere from one mile in to fifteen miles in, a guy once told me this about it, "there everywhere and nowhere." It is a unique opportunity to hunt sheep and you get to see some awesome country but anyone thinking that their gonna buy a tag and notch it on day one with only scouting on google earth and reading forums HA! They got another thing coming when the tooths get a hold of them. (Not saying that's you but, I have heard guys talk like that.) I'll also say this, those lonely days in there sure makes a guy miss chasing bugling bulls! I love the challenge though and when it all comes together it'll be very bitter sweet. Can't wait to get back in there!

Ha,at my age I expect them to kick my butt.I was mainly asking to see if I can even make it back to where sheep may be.I would love to give it a try.Do they have to be full curl to be legal??What's hunting pressure like??

No.

Many.

Low and NO.

99.9% of the guys that want to do this have no idea how difficult it is. Those that do-do it successfully on their own-are in the smallest North American hunting fraternity there is...and the most impressive. I especially get a kick out of the ones that just plan to run out and take a nice ram with their bow!

Good luck.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast