Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: MT Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by psinclair View Post

Most of the reason to do it is just to spend time there.....
    Like the photo and "reason"
    I'd consider an unlimited but I will be drawing a Breaks permit this year, so most other folks need not apply there............

I will preface this post with the fact that I know very little about the unlimited sheep areas.......I've only hunted near the Beartooth's one time. I had an interesting enounter a few years ago that I thought I would pass on.
    I was hunting 4th season near Kremmling, CO when I ran into this guy waiting for our dinner in a local restaurant. We started talking hunting, mule deer, and such. He mentioned he was from Montana. He was older, and had hunted through the "glory days" up there. Interesting guy. He had written a book, and gave me a copy. Turns out he has apparently taken 5 SHEEP from the unlimited area. Seems like a pretty big accomplishment. His book is called "The Versatile Trophy Hunter" by Bill Butler. He mentions the unlimited areas, and his sheep success in the book, but I'm sure if someone was serious about getting a sheep in there, he might be a guy to look up and talk to. You could tell he really enjoyed talking hunting. Anyway, thought this might be interesting to some. Good luck on your hunts.

Name:  IMG_3288.JPG
Views: 833
Size:  123.3 KB

can't figure out why the pic is sideways, but you get the idea.

That's one heck of an accomplishment. I'd love to find a copy of that book.
    "Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance." - Theodore Roosevelt

FYI, just looked on Amazon and they have some used copies of that book. I ordered one shipped for about $6.
    "Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance." - Theodore Roosevelt

I'll be back! Had a copy of Butlers book years ago. Good read.
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

I just ordered this book Thanks

8. Default

At the Sheep show this year we had 3 guys at our table that had taken 7 sheep between the 3 of them from MT unlimited units.. One was taken last year scored 180"

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktailbc View Post
    I will preface this post with the fact that I know very little about the unlimited sheep areas.......I've only hunted near the Beartooth's one time. I had an interesting enounter a few years ago that I thought I would pass on.
    I was hunting 4th season near Kremmling, CO when I ran into this guy waiting for our dinner in a local restaurant. We started talking hunting, mule deer, and such. He mentioned he was from Montana. He was older, and had hunted through the "glory days" up there. Interesting guy. He had written a book, and gave me a copy. Turns out he has apparently taken 5 SHEEP from the unlimited area. Seems like a pretty big accomplishment. His book is called "The Versatile Trophy Hunter" by Bill Butler. He mentions the unlimited areas, and his sheep success in the book, but I'm sure if someone was serious about getting a sheep in there, he might be a guy to look up and talk to. You could tell he really enjoyed talking hunting. Anyway, thought this might be interesting to some. Good luck on your hunts.

Name:  IMG_3288.JPG
Views: 833
Size:  123.3 KB
    I met and talked with Mr. Butler several times back in the '90s. He sold his book at gunshows (like Duncan Gilchrist) and when there would be a lull in isle traffic and our tables were close I loved to spend a few minutes chatting with him. He's an extremely polite and interesting gentleman, he autographed a copy of his book for me and I've read it several times, most recently a few months back. He worked hard at the hunting he loved and is obviously very skilled at it, it has paid off for nicely for him. He's an accomplished taxidermist and a one rifle man, the old saying "Beware the man with only one gun; he knows how to use it." must have been about Bill. I recommend his book, it's always leaves me smiling and eager for next season.

Speaking of Dunc, no serious sheep hunter is without copies of his books, . I bought them all from him at gunshows too, another gentleman that was fascinating to talk with. RIP Dunc.
    Last edited by KClark; 03-19-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With.

I have always been interested in giving the unlimited units a good try; who knows, this may be the year. From those who have hunted it or know the areas well, is there a particular HD that one would prefer over the others? Access, general sheep densities, etc? Or, considering that they all have a two ram quota, is it more of a "pick one and hunt it hard" kind of approach?

HD 300, 303, 500, 501, 502....any votes?

They all suck

Having never hunted them but always wanted to I would say look at the ones closest to you so you can spend more time hunting and less behind the wheel. You either hunt 300, 303, and maybe 500 and you're there in an hour and a half. Or you hunt 501 and 502 and you're there in 2 and a half plus. That doesnt include driving into the mountains on forest service roads. Unless you've got some connections that know 501 or 502 I'd say hunt close. That way you can put in the max ammount time to explore the country and hopefully find some sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by MTGomer View Post
    They all suck
    What gomer said

Thanks for the advice -- in a nutshell, hunt close, spend more time on the ground and behind binos, and they all suck! A recipe for a perfect hunt/sufferfest.

This was taken in an unlimited zone in 1990:

He's just doing his part to raise the densities up there.

I remember seeing a ram on winter range by the Devil's Slide chasing ewes almost 20 years ago. Wish I had taken a picture of him. Not real heavy but about a curl and a quarter, and over 45 inches. Never know what might walk out of the park at just the right time.
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

For every day that you are fond of, such as this...

Name:  28899016525_4114c4cfef_z.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  144.6 KB

Expect to have a day to match it, like this.

Pure socked in, heavy, wet hell, 18+ miles from nowhere.
    Name:  GOPR0245.jpg
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  GOPR0249.jpg
Size:  34.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MTGomer View Post
    .....heavy, wet hell, 18+ miles from nowhere
    That really sticks out in my memory too. Well that and the outfitters saddle and pack horses that were stampeded in the middle of the night by a grizzly and blasted through my camp at full speed two feet from my head as I lay on the ground in my little tent shivering in a wet sleeping bag.

Good times!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789