Caribou Gear Tarp

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I have not yet heard bighorns cracking heads in the unlimiteds. I did locate the ram I harvested in a Montana draw unit that way. The late September weather went from hot to cool, and that must have got them going. When I was packing out my bighorn, the whole canyon up and down sounded like gun shots going off. Very cool sound to hear.

I have not yet heard bighorns cracking heads in the unlimiteds. I did locate the ram I harvested in a Montana draw unit that way. The late September weather went from hot to cool, and that must have got them going. When I was packing out my bighorn, the whole canyon up and down sounded like gun shots going off. Very cool sound to hear.

I agree on that sound BHR; gunshots are the closest analog I could think of.

I have and even have it on video, taken through a spotting scope. It was of the ram I missed, about two hours before I shot at him, screwing around with his younger compadre.

The tent with the snowshoes is a Hilleberg Nallo 2.

Hi Gomer,

Is that video something you could post here on the forum? We've all probably seen rams fighting on nature films; but, speaking for myself, it would be more interesting and relevant to view such video actually acquired by a hunter in the unlimited units.

I've been a little preoccupied with my mother's health issues the past few days. After I get back on track, I'll dig out and scan a photo of my Winterlight tent. When you see it, I suspect you'll understand why I thought your Nallo 2 was a Winterlight--in fact, I wonder if Hilleberg is a successor to Early Winters.

I can’t seem to get it to post here. Send me a message with your email and I’ll share it with you.

I can’t seem to get it to post here. Send me a message with your email and I’ll share it with you.

Thanks Gomer,

I don't yet know how to send personal messages on this website; so I'll do this: longUNDERSCOREwillATyahooDOTcom

Replacing the CAPITALIZED portions of the text string with the appropriate punctuation yield my email address--is that okay?

Regards,

Will

Hey Shines, click on Gomer's name on one of his posts. A box with several options will pop up. Click on private message and it will take you to a page where all you need to do is write your message and click submit message.

Earlier, I posted two photos (my second and third) to this thread that appeared as blue underlined numbers. Initially, clicking on either number would cause the associated graphic to open. Now, it brings up text that says something about broken or invalid link. Can one of you experienced users tell me what I did wrong?

The first photo I posted appeared just fine; however, I discovered that file name information I didn't intend to include was visible when cursor was placed over the image. Since I couldn't figure out how to edit the file name on the site, I deleted the file. I'd like to be a contributing member of the forum--I've gone back to my already scanned sheep hunting photos and changed the file names. Before I attempt to post the same or other files, would anyone care to offer tips on the best procedure?

On some older posts from forum members I see, instead of the intended images, references to third-party hosting sites like Photo Bucket. I assume the images are no longer hosted on those sites; but I wouldn't mind learning if I'm doing something incorrectly that prevents me viewing the photos.

You're welcome. When I decide to give the unlimiteds a try, I'm going to PM you. I need for you to know how it works.;)

Okay, I get it! ;) (In addition to being old, I'm kinda' "Old School." Still, every so often someone inspires me to resort to emoji usage.)

Your "Southern Elk" moniker arouses my curiosity. I know that elk have been restored to several states where they historically ranged but have long been extirpated--does your forum member nickname correlate to that situation?

Shines

I’ll try sending that to you tomorrow

Thanks Gomer--I'm looking forward to it.

Do you think you'll hunt the same district this coming season?

I'm guessing you'll be pouring over the statistic after FWP publishes last season's results. Were I in your shoes, I know I'd want to see if the same ram was either harvested or might have survived to give me another chance.

Okay, I get it! ;) (In addition to being old, I'm kinda' "Old School." Still, every so often someone inspires me to resort to emoji usage.)

Your "Southern Elk" moniker arouses my curiosity. I know that elk have been restored to several states where they historically ranged but have long been extirpated--does your forum member nickname correlate to that situation?

I'm originally from Mississippi. I'm now living the dream in SW Montana.

Thanks Gomer--I'm looking forward to it.

Do you think you'll hunt the same district this coming season?

I'm guessing you'll be pouring over the statistic after FWP publishes last season's results. Were I in your shoes, I know I'd want to see if the same ram was either harvested or might have survived to give me another chance.

The ram missed has not been harvested, but I'm afraid he's now dead. He'd be 15 or 16 this year.

The ram missed has not been harvested, but I'm afraid he's now dead. He'd be 15 or 16 this year.

Hi Gomer,

A ram 15 or 16 years old would be exceptionally ancient in any locale, let alone the Beartooth country--what convinces you that he was that old? I'm not trying to be argumentative here--based upon what I've read of your postings I respect your knowledge, experience and insights. (I am willing to continue this conversation offline if you'd prefer.) In truth, I'd like to see you successfully locate and harvest the same ram this coming season, especially if he is an old monarch. :)

When I was actively hunting the unlimited districts in my 30's, I stumbled upon some information that FWP did not make generally known to the public. If there is a chance that your missed ram was especially big, but not really very old, contact me offline for the details (but not to include specific locations--you understand).

Great snap and great ram mate ��

Great snap and great ram mate ��

Thanks Aussie_hunter_JD,

Looks like the photo posting worked--at least for awhile. Maybe I'm posting old stuff a little too often; but I find it is helping to get my blood up. I am hoping to give it either three more attempts or one successful hunt. If it hasn't already evaporated, I know the time is rapidly draining.

Perhaps you are, like me, a fan of Pink Floyd. Something I have often reflected upon is a line from one of their songs: "Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time, plans that either come to naught, or half a page of scribbled rhymes." The further I age, the more I am struck by how prescient those words were to have been penned by young musicians still in their twenties.

Something I hadn't yet revealed on these pages is that my 1980's sheep hunts were partly in memory of a deceased friend. Spencer Linderman was a graduate student pursuing a masters degree in Wildlife Management at the University of Alaska (Fairbanks) when I was just a freshman. He was remarkably friendly and accommodating given the gap of years and experience between us. We always planned making a Dall sheep hunt together. Unfortunately, it never came to pass. I had to leave Alaska in 1970 to answer a draft call. Reading an "Outdoor Life" article several years later, I learned that Spencer had been killed in an airplane crash while conducting an aerial Mountain goat survey in 1975. Ameliorating my grief was the knowledge that Spencer had lived more life in his 29 years than most people will know in 70 or 80. Perhaps I have just gone maudlin in my "Golden Years." Still, I think the older members of this forum will understand; and I hope the younger ones will take to heart the "carpe diem" message.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Thanks Aussie_hunter_JD,

Looks like the photo posting worked--at least for awhile. Maybe I'm posting old stuff a little too often; but I find it is helping to get my blood up. I am hoping to give it either three more attempts or one successful hunt. If it hasn't already evaporated, I know the time is rapidly draining.

Perhaps you are, like me, a fan of Pink Floyd. Something I have often reflected upon is a line from one of their songs: "Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time, plans that either come to naught, or half a page of scribbled rhymes." The further I age, the more I am struck by how prescient those words were to have been penned by young musicians still in their twenties.

Something I hadn't yet revealed on these pages is that my 1980's sheep hunts were partly in memory of a deceased friend. Spencer Linderman was a graduate student pursuing a masters degree in Wildlife Management at the University of Alaska (Fairbanks) when I was just a freshman. He was remarkably friendly and accommodating given the gap of years and experience between us. We always planned making a Dall sheep hunt together. Unfortunately, it never came to pass. I had to leave Alaska in 1970 to answer a draft call. Reading an "Outdoor Life" article several years later, I learned that Spencer had been killed in an airplane crash while conducting an aerial Mountain goat survey in 1975. Ameliorating my grief was the knowledge that Spencer had lived more life in his 29 years than most people will know in 70 or 80. Perhaps I have just gone maudlin in my "Golden Years." Still, I think the older members of this forum will understand; and I hope the younger ones will take to heart the "carpe diem" message.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Shines@times,

Thank you for the stories and pictures you've provided in this thread. They're outstanding.

I'm pulling for you to get back in those mountains and come back out with another ram on your back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back