Caribou Gear Tarp

Long Walk Rams

Oak, I got all excited and thought he'd break 190 for sure. I'm used to Montana rams and gave him at least 16" bases in my guess. Turns out the bases were 15" and @ 35" length of horn. You were right that looks can be deceiving. At any rate, the numbers on a score chart do not add to or take away from a 12 1/2 year old ram on a backpack hunt. Hopefully, Dan will chime in here and tell us the whole story.

Ugh... I am sooo nervous about seeing something like that right away, along with smaller Rams and pulling the trigger!

Don't get me wrong, beautiful old ram... He looks awesome...

But I sure aim to find something 10 inches bigger.

Ugh... I am sooo nervous about seeing something like that right away, along with smaller Rams and pulling the trigger!

Don't get me wrong, beautiful old ram... He looks awesome...

But I sure aim to find something 10 inches bigger.

You gotta realize that sheep hunting in MT is kind of like fantasy sports. ;)

There were 109 rams killed in CO last year and 13 of them had bases of 16"+.

Did I hear right that he was registered at 12.5 years old? Very awesome ram!

Looks like I can count rings, but I was completely drunk when I scored him. He carries his mass very well, I guess there just wasn't as much there as I thought there was.

I wouldn't think twice about shooting him, as in there's no way in hell I'd pass him up. Beautiful ram.

I agree, score means next to nothing on a ram like that.

As good as they get, IMO.

Montana rams may have the score, but most never have that kind of age or character.

If anyone would be disappointed with a ram like that, then we're hunting for different reasons. There is no doubt that would be the ram of my lifetime. I don't care if that ram is 154, 174, or 204. I'd have the same smile every time I looked at it on my wall!

Considering they were backpacked in 19 hours to get to their base camp and he and his brother each packed a 130 lbs for 38 hours, I'd say they earned it. His brother killed a 9 1/2 year old ram that looked to be @165-168" and Dan killed this one while they were skinning his brother's ram.

Beautiful ram! :hump:

I would like to see some of his measurements. None of that matters when all said and done but I would like to know for my own interest.

Awesome Northern Alberta Ram!
If I would guess I would say a Wilmore Ram!
Our Southern Rams have the big bases and deep curl like those MT
Rams

Considering they were backpacked in 19 hours to get to their base camp and he and his brother each packed a 130 lbs for 38 hours, I'd say they earned it. His brother killed a 9 1/2 year old ram that looked to be @165-168" and Dan killed this one while they were skinning his brother's ram.

wow, what a hunt...ive had some big walks over long distances, but i can imagine with packs loaded up in sheep country this would have to be a hunt to sit back and tell the grandkids about! unreal, be great to hear more about it.

Holy chit, how far in were they?

Score is like teats on a boar pig. Beautiful ram and incredible sounding hunt. Well earned!

Is there a link to the story of this hunt somewhere? Sounds epic!

That's pretty inconsiderate and rude and misinformed to knock someone's 174 inch old Rocky Mtn Bighorn. It is an incredible ram. Absolutely gorgeous. And old!

That's pretty inconsiderate and rude and misinformed to knock someone's 174 inch old Rocky Mtn Bighorn. It is an incredible ram. Absolutely gorgeous. And old!

Agreed, but I don't see where anyone is knocking Dan's ram or the hunt. I think we all agree that even if it "only" scores 174, it is an incredible trophy. Final official scoring is 169 and some odd 16ths.

Dan was trying to get on this thread and add to the story but he was having registration issues. Figures.... anyone simple enough to hike that far with that much weight would have problems figuring out how to post on a web forum! :D

I think he's got an article pending publication in Big Game Illustrated with the full story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back