Caribou Gear

Handgun Bear Hunting

If I thought I could pull it off (which I personally would struggle with) I'd certainly give it a try.

This sounds like a rare accomplishment not over bait.

I think spring bears feeding on new grass are the easiest animals to sneak up on because I find them in the open, which makes for a quiet stalk, and they don’t appear to have very good eyesight.

I shot mine about 25 yards but not out of stalking prowess but rather out of curiosity killing the bear...which I guess are the bears they warn you about. Since it's a good story, I will steal the thread momentarily to tell it.

For day 6 I had sat messaged my transporter to pick me up because I had seen other hunters in my area and I was giving up to hunt the roads. On my way to the pickup point, I spot two bears from over 600 yards. I then lost sight of them. I sat messaged my transporter to not come and closed the distance to 2-300 yards and even tried squeaking on a call because I could see them. Well, the transporter shows up overhead anyways because I must not have messaged him soon enough so it's now or never.

I walk straight into the bush and come face to face with one of them from 20 yards with a bush in the way. After a staring contest he walks away into actual alders and I jump out from the bush. And then he turns. Man on man, got him. And then I go into the bush to get him (he death moaned in sight) and look back 50 yards straight down wind and the other bear just walks across like it don't care. 10 minutes later I have him dragged 10 yards out of the alders and into the nice bushes and the transporter I now see waives at me. I walk over and off runs the other bear that I thought walked away. Watched me drag the other one out from 50 yards! Just weren't scared at me at all.

Now you know why I'm keeping up with the bear hunting! But for the record, back when I shot my revolvers a lot, I was only consistent with my little Single Six past 20 yards. I suspect my .357s are full of copper which probably isn't helping me. But I'd have to get my handgun shooting in order to kill a bear with a revolver. I doubt many people do it spot and stalk so I'll bet it is rare enough.

I gave spring bear a go on the Oregon coast this year for the first time ever. I carried a 30-06. Hiking through that thick vegetation I quickly realized I had the wrong weapon. I found fresh scat and tracks down at the bottom of a drainage in a forrest of devils club. I climbed up as high as I could above it on a 40 degree slope and treated the hunt like I was in a tree stand. Unfortunately, the furthest I could go and still see the bear's trail was 36 yards. Any further and I would be buried in the ferns and Oregon grape. Next spring I'm doing the handgun. I like the idea of the 44... Then I'll follow those trails. It'll get real personal real fast if I come up against one....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back