Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Deadheads - Let's see 'em

Cool idea for a topic, I'm enjoying this thread.
I'll add this unique head I found in Mesa County, CO (March 2015).
His left pedicle & eye socket are about 2" off from where they should be, along with the obvious crazy brow tine. Pretty sure he survived some kind of head injury, maybe at a younger age. The skull around the eye socket appears 're-congealed'... Wish I could've seen him alive, one of those faces only a mother can love.
Any theories? Seen anything like this?
Also, I had a hell of a time uploading photos, a PDF seemed like the only way to get 'em up without cutting 80% off, any advice?

Attachments

• 3-2015a.pdf
    246.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 3-2015b.pdf
    652.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 3-2015c.pdf
    244.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
2016 dead head

Found this bull earlier this year.

Attachments

• dead head1.jpg
    dead head1.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 2,224
  • dead head2.jpg
    dead head2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 2,159
This is my favorite deadhead by far.

I was walking around some creek beds trying to hunt some pigs and this mass caught my eye.

After a quick cleanup I was grinning ear to ear.

He was a beauty of a whitetail.

skull%20006.jpg

skull%20013.jpg

sunrise%20006.jpg

Wolf skull I found last winter. Took awhile to dig it out of the frozen ground without breaking it. It's in perfect condition. The bottom picture shows it along side of a large male wolf skull I killed in SW Montana a few winters ago.

Now that is cool. Found one of those a long time ago. It was in bad shape and fell apart when I dug it out.

Wow. What a cool thread. I am using the mule deer my wife found as a basis for a kids Christmas present to her. Flowers and stuff. I will post pictures when done.

We really enjoy shed hunting. Have some ideas for metro sheds this spring.

The bottom picture shows it along side of a large male wolf skull I killed in SW Montana a few winters ago.

Interesting how your kill has a more gracile and lengthy distal sweep to the sagittal crest, as well as the relatively narrower/longer nasals. I wonder if that's age-related, normal individual variation, regional distinction/genetic, etc? Cool find and congrats on getting it out without breaking it. Patience can be a good thing. To my shame, I've ruined a few things even when I knew better.

Pat,

What a cool find! Looking at the teeth, that was an old wolf.

Found a couple hogs last spring. One looked like he died of natural causes, the other looked like a wolf kill. Both are about 390 class bulls. Big old bulls...

Attachments

• IMG_20160614_204403.jpg
    IMG_20160614_204403.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_20160602_193242.jpg
    IMG_20160602_193242.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 1,328
I found this buried in the mud of the upper Blackfoot River near where Arrastra Creek drains into it from the north. A mountain bison of yesteryear. The minute I dug it out of the bank it started falling apart. I took it home and sprayed a bunch of lacquer over its entire surface. It stopped falling apart and has a nice sheen to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,328
I found this longhorn in a riverbed while doing a four-day drawn hunt for quail at Big Bend Ranch State Park earlier this month. Saw lots of mule deer sheds, too. Unfortunately, removing any such stuff from the park is strictly prohibited.

ramchute.jpg

ramriley.jpg

We found this ram last year while snowshoeing up to look at a high plateau sheep are known to winter on. I suspect he was injured in the rut and just couldn't sustain the winter. A few leg bones were found at the top of the chute.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back