Yeti GOBOX Collection

Deadheads - Let's see 'em

Starting to be buried in a shallow draw under a ground juniper.

3s3m1O7.jpg

Last edited:
I stumbled onto this fella while taking the dogs for a walk on the public lands of Montana last weekend. If not for the lone magpie flushing from the site, I would have probably walked right by him at 30 yards. It seems like winter got the best of him as there was no evidence of wolves or mountain lion at the kill site. I plan on stretching a tape on him before too long and a boil and bleach after that. I am feeling pretty lucky as this is the last thing I thought I'd run into on a random dog walk. This is my first attempt at posting a photo so bear with me if it goes awry.

deadhead 20180127.jpg

375 - It was in a general unit. Ultimately, it is tough to say what got him. I just would have expected more consumption if it were a wolf or lion kill. I also checked for bullet holes or subcutaneous hemorrhaging, but was not able to find any. That said, the hide was pretty frozen and even a poor man's necropsy was not possible.

375 - It was in a general unit. Ultimately, it is tough to say what got him. I just would have expected more consumption if it were a wolf or lion kill. I also checked for bullet holes or subcutaneous hemorrhaging, but was not able to find any. That said, the hide was pretty frozen and even a poor man's necropsy was not possible.

Yeah I hear ya. It sounds like winter is most probable without a CSI team there.

Glad to hear it was in a general unit in Montana. I was under the impression that there aren't any bull elk left in general units in Montana so glad to see there are still a few dying from random causes.

I stumbled onto this fella while taking the dogs for a walk on the public lands of Montana last weekend. If not for the lone magpie flushing from the site, I would have probably walked right by him at 30 yards. It seems like winter got the best of him as there was no evidence of wolves or mountain lion at the kill site. I plan on stretching a tape on him before too long and a boil and bleach after that. I am feeling pretty lucky as this is the last thing I thought I'd run into on a random dog walk. This is my first attempt at posting a photo so bear with me if it goes awry.

View attachment 79809
he sure looks emaciated along the spine.

861FC4D2-6C32-4095-86DC-E1B98206EA82.jpg46F263A8-B599-4B84-BBA6-2A3FBF8999B2.jpg
Here’s a couple I have found.
Not sure why the sideways pick is still in there.

Attachments

• 08BA443A-7C9C-4F14-AD63-06F11AF3CB9F.jpg
    08BA443A-7C9C-4F14-AD63-06F11AF3CB9F.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,440
Last edited:
A good snowy day activity to pull them down. 165-185" but some are very massive old guys.

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back