Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Deadheads - Let's see 'em

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Since we have another month or so before hunting gets going, thought it would be cool to start a thread about Deadheads. Given the miles all of us hike in the woods each fall, I am sure we have some cool picks of Deadheads (no sheds, just deadheads).

I'll start.

Not allowed to keep these bighorns skulls in MT, so after taking a bunch of pics, FWP was called. They asked us to bring it to town for them and provide coordinates of where it was discovered. Later scored by FWP at 199 6/8 and now resides in one of their public offices.

How it was found, laying in the sage.
IMG_4580.JPG

Cameraman Loren holding it here. HUGE!
IMG_4664.JPG

Would love to have it sitting on a pedestal in the Randy Room.

Found this guy last fall while glassing a basin for muleys in the Bighorns during archery season. Initially, I just thought it was a shed, but the more I looked at it, it just didn't look right. Once it hit around 10am, I decided to drop in the 800ft to check it out. When I got down there I found the whole carcass; which still had a fair amount of hide on it. A couple of years ago it became illegal to pick up any deadheads in WY, so I called the warden and he came out to check it out. He was really cool, and for 8 bucks gave me an interstate transfer permit and tagged it. I have some pics of it at the site, but can't seem to find them

Back at the truck
IMG_0949.jpg

After boiling it out. It now hangs out in the garage.
IMG_7099.jpg

All found within the last 12 months. Would love to find a bighorn some day, I'd imagine it's a very bitter sweet feeling.

I found this buck back in the early 80's. The head was in the bottom of a dry creek. Only the skull and the first few inches of antler was above ground. Scores around 188 gross + 6 or 7 inches of nontypical. A bit over 31 outside. I had the antlers stained and put on a plaque. I now wish I had left the head natural.
I will have to share some more pictures of dead heads I have found when I get more time.

Antlerradar

Attachments

• CCI07112015_0001.jpg
    CCI07112015_0001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 7,081
Deadhead from NZ, found next to a wallow, Sika/Red hybrid, normal skull length for a Sika is 10" this one was 12" but had the typical Sika 8 point (4x4) configuration all be it with a bit more curve and heavy timber, very cool looking.

picture.php

picture.php

None for me in the limited area I have had to hunt, but I'm almost licking my chops waiting for Bambistew to post some of his. With all the miles that guy puts on he must have a few!

Found this whitetail in 2000. Was lucky enough to find all of his sheds. The buck likely died of EHD. The deadhead nets 151 as a 3 by 4 with 27 6/8 and 29 inch mainbeams

Antlerradar

Attachments

• CCI07122015.jpg
    CCI07122015.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 6,724
A few years ago I spotted some crows feeding on something in a large field. A quick check with the binoculars revealed what looked like a nice whitetail. I asked the landowner if I could retrieve the head and this is what we found.

Antlerradar

Attachments

• 103_0020.jpg
    103_0020.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 6,490
In scouting for my moose hunt this year I found this!

The place was a mud lake had plenty of water, and although the skulls had been put in the trees by someone, the looked to have been picked up in the area. I could see plenty of bones and other skulls in the mud.

Attachments

• P7030676.jpg
    P7030676.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 6,333
  • P7030677.jpg
    P7030677.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 6,363
  • P7030681.jpg
    P7030681.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 6,354
Found this guy during rifle season with my daughter took gps coordinates calls g&f and asked if everything panned out if we could retrieve it... Few days later they said go get it and bring it in for the proper $8 tag so we did and managed to get a euro mount done before the neighbors called the cops thinking we were storing dead bodies :)

Back