Colorado Archery Elk Pack In Hunting Partner Out There?

windymtnman

I live in So. Central Colorado, in Unit 80. I plan on bow hunting for Elk this Fall, and being retired, I could probably hunt everyday if I wanted to. (?) We have two horses, so I obviously like to use them to my advantage. I also have access to renting a mule(s) from a friend. I'm pretty fit, and will be even more so as the season approaches.
I may get my wife to pack in a bit with me, as that helps in managing & looking after the stock. However, I'm pretty sure she won't want to go all the time. That isn't totally a bad thing, as I can ride into the wilderness, and move around everyday if I'm not into the Elk. (Thing is, my wife has an extraordinary "game eye" !)
I know it's probably a tall order to fill, however if there's someone that also has a horse(s) and can pack in, I'd be open to talking to you. Frankly, if you have too many horses/mules, etc. in a camp, it can be a hassle to care for and select a campsite that provides for their needs, while remaining subtle about it with game nearby. However, if you're looking for a hunting partner, maybe we should talk?
I'll probably hunt out the backdoor of our ranch, and then also pack into the South San Juan Wilderness near here, as that's my favorite area and of course has lots of Elk. We're certainly seeing more Elk around here than we have for a long time.

Added a Pack Animal

I guess I upped my game, and bought a Mule a few weeks ago. I packed into the wilderness for quick camp trip, and he did great. So, now I have one to ride, and two too pack. If I get an Elk, I'll be able to bring it out in one trip, especially if I take additional panniers, and put them on my saddle horse!

It sounds like you are set up for an amazing hunt this fall. The South San Juan Wilderness looks like a great place to hunt with horses. Good luck.

Back