Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Hawaiian vacation

glass eye

Yesterday my wife asked me about our next annual trip to Hawaii. I left the ball in her court as I just did NZ and she already knows I plan on going back there next year, and I have AK in my sights for December.

If the choice is mine I'll pick Lana'i and hunt axis deer.

I told her " You pick the island......how about Kauai ? she says, " Beautiful, but too many people "

Then she says " I like the Big Island, lots of unexplored areas for us "

I say " Ok then, let's plan on the Big Is."

But then she follows up with " Actually, I like Lana'i the best and wouldn't mind going back there again....is that ok with you ?

I love my wife

Almost all of the rooms on Lana'i are booked through the year. The two main resorts are going through major reconstruction and the work crews are occupying the resort rooms. My wife and I are in the planning process for a quick trip and we had to cut Lana'i from the list due to the construction. There were zero rooms available when we looked until after the new year. I think we are going to go with Maui and either Big Is or Maui and Kaui. Best of luck. I love Hawaii and will own a home/condo on Big Is in the near future (if my wife will buy in on the idea).

Almost all of the rooms on Lana'i are booked through the year. The two main resorts are going through major reconstruction and the work crews are occupying the resort rooms. My wife and I are in the planning process for a quick trip and we had to cut Lana'i from the list due to the construction. There were zero rooms available when we looked until after the new year. I think we are going to go with Maui and either Big Is or Maui and Kaui. Best of luck. I love Hawaii and will own a home/condo on Big Is in the near future (if my wife will buy in on the idea).

I rent a house and truck from the owner. We were there this last March for 10 days.
My wife and I have been to all the islands except Ni'ihau and we have never stayed at a resort. We camp and/or rent a cabin or house. Neither of us care for the resort atmosphere and we definitely don't want to pay $300-$500 a night for it.

Good stuff. Great to plan early and have almost a year to look forward to the trip. Will you enter the NZ tahr ballot again?

Good stuff. Great to plan early and have almost a year to look forward to the trip. Will you enter the NZ tahr ballot again?

I plan on picking up where I left off on my last day of my tahr hunt. But this time I'm going to dedicate all my time to it and not mix it up with other species pursuits.
I might enter a ballot just to have another option, but only if I have a couple mates join me.

Sounds like a good plan. Keep in touch if you want to may be join up for a ballot block if the timing works. I'm hoping to join up with a couple of American mates that want to hunt tahr.

Sounds like a good plan. Keep in touch if you want to may be join up for a ballot block if the timing works. I'm hoping to join up with a couple of American mates that want to hunt tahr.

It would be the last 2 weeks in May.

Been to maui 9 or 10 times, love it!! Killed a axis buck and a Spanish goat bout 10 years ago, great time!! . Been to Lanai and Oahu once, Lanai is cool, Oahu is straight garbage, bout like las Vegas... headed to kona this January, gonna do a black hawaiian hunt and a marlin trip.. great place e to t as me th ed old lady!!!

Molokai has a good Axis population, lots of turkeys too. I've hunted 5 of the islands, and Lanai has to be the hands down best for Axis, the Big island is hard to beat for a pot-luck anything goes hunt though.

can one not just hire a vehicle and camp on the windward side by the beach??

Yes, set up a fishing pole on the beach and you'll be fine.
For someone coming over by themselves and not looking to fly venison home, just the headgear, then yes, it would be a good option.
But as part of a hunting party where deer are harvested at different times during a 10 day hunt, an ice-chest won't cut it, you need a freezer.

glass eye, you keep doing all the trips I want to get to yet.At least with Hawaii, I can get free airfare.How tough is a diy hunt on the island your going to?When is the best month for an axis deer hunt?
You have one heck of a wife.I won't ever get married again because of the grief I got for going on hunt trips.Now, I just have to ask myself permission and that always works out.Would love to pick your brain about Hawaii and NZ

glass eye, you keep doing all the trips I want to get to yet.At least with Hawaii, I can get free airfare.How tough is a diy hunt on the island your going to?When is the best month for an axis deer hunt?
You have one heck of a wife.I won't ever get married again because of the grief I got for going on hunt trips.Now, I just have to ask myself permission and that always works out.Would love to pick your brain about Hawaii and NZ

All my hunts are DIY unless a guide is required by law.
Lots of game on Lana'i and all the islands, no need to hire a guide but if you want one I could recommend a great one.
Axis for the most part are in velvet in February and hardening in March. By June the rut is in full swing.

Just booked a house and 4x4 on Lanai today. My favorite hunting destination to date...don't go unless you want to be hooked.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back