Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Podcast - request for topics

-how has hunting changed over your lifetime
- guests: Jim Posewitz, wildlife biologists, your camera guys, conservationists who inspire you

FWIW, based on your description, I really hope that pilot episode sees the light of day :)

Jim Posewitz for sure! I had a blog post featured on his Orion site last year. Talks on hunters ethics with Jim pf course. The incidents that happened in Montana leaving elk wounded or dead and unaccounted for.

Archery today compared to different times in the past even as close as 5-10 years.

The current state of outdoor TV? If that is something you can talk about on that medium.

I think some other good guests right in Bozeman would be Mark Seacat, Jonathan Hart, and Jason Matzinger. Dana Gleason and/or Kurt Racicot? Not sure where all the Foss Family lives. But that I think that would be a fun one also.

I'd be interested in hearing some of your stories of your growing up/youth, preferably with the guests that were present, to help imbellish or to keep the true story. Sorta like a mix of a Bill Dance bloopers reel and Paul Harvey's the rest of the story.

-Plus one on the political issues (However, I don't think that this would be very "ear-catching" so maybe it shouldn't be a common theme)

-Recipes

-Ballistics/ammo selection

-Proper handling/breaking in of a new gun

-Maybe an "ethical hypothetical" segment where you present a situation and pose the question "What would you do?" This would create a good teaser to plug sponsors, then come back and discuss a time that you actually experienced this situation or simply opine on how you would proceed

-The science behind game management (i.e. male/female ratios, recruitment, habitat availability, etc.). You could get an FWP biologist as a guest.

-Somebody mentioned CWD. You could do a segment on epidemics in the recent past and their residual effects on herds and regional populations.

Keep it interesting. I'd suggest taking a close look at the "roundtable" episodes done by Ali G. I'm sure they are on YouTube.

First episode could be roadhunter, Kerry White, Catilyn Jenner, and Toby Bridges.

-Why hunters in the northern rockies (ID, MT, CO, WY) shouldn't complain! (as compared to WA hunters).
-Grizzly reintroduction into the north cascades
-Trapping
-Political, local, state, and federal levels
-The Land zoning/UN conspiracy theory
-Sagebrush rebellion
-the future of sheep hunting
-best places/ways to maximize the dollar per pound for wild game

Good luck Randy.

I listen to a few podcasts, all hunting related.

1) Be nice to hear one on your experiences hunting Arizona Elk on the Late season, provide some pointers, tips and information for others to learn as there is probably a lot of guys in the line who might not be holding out for an early rut hunt.

2) What about getting biologist from say the Bob Marshall or Absaroka back country regions to give their honest analysis of where trends are heading with the deer and elk herds/populations. Harvest reports, hunter participation, 5 years data etc etc, it would be quite interesting to hear their take on where these hunts are headed for the hunters wanting to learn more.

3) I always enjoy reading biologists articles and if any of them have done studies on deer, elk or bear that is relevant to hunters then these are always informative subjects. From food sources to migration routes and distances etc ,it is all great information. I am constantly amazed when i read how certain elk or deer travel great distances from their velvet growing areas to their rutting locations. I often wonder how many of these same animals return to the same velvet growing regions and then back again to the same rutting areas as you normally just hear this bull travelled 20 miles from point A and we killed him in the rut at point B. Once animals are dead you can't learn too much more from them.

4) What about you get some of the well known hunters who have been successful on early season colorado velvet mule deer hunts to talk about their gear, hunt conditions, animal habitats, etc, a lot of guys backpack and if you can refine your gear to alpine hunting conditions then you will blow the low country out of the water with your set up and equipment list.

5) There is some handy hunt talkers here who have had great success in the field. Its always interesting to listen to individuals with a passion towards hunting, animals and the outdoors talk about their life experiences, a few prominent hunters here would be good to here talk on a podcast.

Look forward to seeing how the podcasts shape up.

HGWT

Maybe how Fish and Game agencies around the western states balance hunting opportunities versus managing units for trophy animals.

How about your thoughts on the "pack hunting" mentality when people draw a premier tag. Each tag holder has 6 of his buddies scouring the unit for the biggest bull, buck, or ram. Is this really a problem (I've never had a tag where it occurs) and, if so, is there anything we can do about it? After reading some of the stories about Arizona elk, I have no interest in drawing a unit 9 or 10 tag.

Not to change the topic, but how and when can we find these podcasts?

Thanks.

Later this month, when the new website is live, there will be download links. We will announce it hear, also, and provide links here.

Thinking the next podcast will be a Bag Dump, with some hunting guests to critique what I carry on a day hunt for elk. Equipment discussions can take you into topics of politics, hunting style preferences (which some confuse with ethics), and lots of other really good topics.

Down the road, I want other guests to do a bag dump, as that gives insight to their hunting styles, preferences, etc.

And the inquisitive public will now know the truth. "Does Randy really carry a DQ Blizzard with him on every hunt?"

Ideas

I like a lot of the ideas, am always interested in how to. But am also interested in the direction we are going, good or bad and what we can do to make it better. Some topics of interest to me are:

Fair Chase vs Game Farm Hunts, public perception and disease risks.

Hunter Recruitment

Climate Change Impacts on hunting and wildlife.

Why don't we believe in the Science and our professional game managers vs the nut jobs who happen to have a TV Show (and who may have a few game violations on the books)

What is an ethical hunter

How can we get involved in making hunting better

Just a few of my thoughts.

I really appreciate your efforts on the political front. Most of us would probably rather just hunt, hike, camp, etc., and not deal with politics, but in this day and age we have to learn to become involved in order to influence land access, firearms, and game management. I first became introduced to public trust issues in college when learning about western water rights. Hearing your discussion on that as it relates to land access was very interesting. This has encouraged me to get involved. Any information on how to get involved or just sharing experiences would be interesting to me.

Have you thought about posting the podcast to YouTube? I don't know about the rest of you, but that's how I listen to Rinella's podcast.

Listening to #2 right now love the issue's with the tags. One thing I'd like to hear about is stories of how you got started, and so forth. I think it would be a cool hour!

I enjoy the show and the podcasts. Keep up the good work. I'd like to hear more about the implications of farming deer and elk and what the potential impacts this may have on our wild populations. Another interesting topic might be how do we in the hunting community find the right balance between cooperating with and standing up to the agriculture community/lobby.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back